Busking in England

This September 25-26, I have been invited by Dave Townsend to teach Anglo concertina at his Hands-On Music, Concertinas at Witney program. It would be grand to work with some of you there. I have a few club dates to fill out my tour but not enough to last the week I was planning to spend playing and singing in merry old England.

Perhaps some of you folks who have connections with clubs or other performance venues might invite me to play for you? Please email me directly if you have any thoughts about that. However, most places are pretty much booked, so I think I may try... busking!

I did a bit at Whitby in ‘08 and quite a bunch at Broadstairs and Whitstable last summer. It works best where there are parents and children in strollers walking past and park benches for some (including me) to sit on. It's great fun and I love performing for children and old folks who sit around me and watch Dancing Henry strut his stuff while I play and sing. Any suggestions where in Kent or the south that would go over? Of course, Broadstairs during festival week might be a very different scene than in late September on a weekday afternoon.

Is busking legal in England?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Busking is usually OK, but a lot of city centres have become more "regulated" than they used to be. In York, for example, there used to be buskers everywhere, of all standards, right down to tramps playing one note on a harmonica. So now you have to get a permit from the council, and to get that you have to audition. The result is better buskers, but less variety.

I would say stick to smaller market towns, where they might not usually get such entertainment, and be ready to explain that you're not hungry or homeless, just making people smile!

My understanding is that busking is regulated by local councils - so different town, different rules. Should you find yourself in busker friendly Bath have a look at this site....

http://www.bathbuskers.co.uk/

...generally I think people are welcoming as long as the busker can actually play, and something different from a bloke with a guitar is refreshing, so you shouldn't have a problem

Is busking legal in England?

Hi Jody,

This link should be of assistance.

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/busking_links.html

Busking is something which I've not attempted for many years. My only thought is that is is probably safer done in a regulated, or "tourist" area of the country. "Merrie England" is fast becoming "Bandit England". Even 20 years ago, the late Paul Davies (a very experienced busker), told me that he no longer busked in Croydon, for fear of being mugged. No joke, as he busked with a very fine Jeffries, in old pitch.

Good luck with your trip; I think you'll enjoy Witney.

Regards,

Peter.

Should you find yourself in busker friendly Bath have a look at this site....

Woody got there first before I could suggest Bath. It's a great place for buskers. Bath would also have the following advantages: 1) we live 9 miles away and would be happy to provide you with bed and grub; 2) Colin and Rosalie Dipper are not much further away; 3) and finally, on Monday 27th September we have our very concertina-friendly session in Bradford on Avon. It would be a joy to have you there.

Cheers,

Chris

Should you find yourself in busker friendly Bath have a look at this site....

Woody got there first before I could suggest Bath. It's a great place for buskers. Bath would also have the following advantages: 1) we live 9 miles away and would be happy to provide you with bed and grub; 2) Colin and Rosalie Dipper are not much further away; 3) and finally, on Monday 27th September we have our very concertina-friendly session in Bradford on Avon. It would be a joy to have you there.

Cheers,

Chris

Thank you Chris and all for your suggestions. Bath sounds very interesting especially with an offer for a place to stay from you, Chris. I did see that web site with information about the scene there. I wonder if it's really happening much at the end of September though, being out of prime tourist season. My tour is developing with a possible stop in Cornwall and a possible house concert in Kent. Thanks all for helping me figure this puzzle out.

Chris, the Monday you mention is a date where I have a tentative offer for a spot at the Warwick Folk Club. We'll see what develops, but it seems likely that I'll pass though your way in one direction or another and would love a visit. The busking option would certainly be fun too. I actually made a decent living busking on the streets and subways of Boston for a few years back in the late 70's.

Bath sounds very interesting especially with an offer for a place to stay from you, Chris. I did see that web site with information about the scene there. I wonder if it's really happening much at the end of September though, being out of prime tourist season.

I know that the Jane Austen Festival takes place in Bath

http://giftshop.janeausten.co.uk/acatalog/Regency_Promenade.html

I think its usually around september, because I've been wanting to go to it for ages.

Well, there you go. Weve lived 9 miles from Bath for the last 20-odd years and we'd missed this completely. Annoying since I'm a bit of a closet Janeite. I'll look out for it.

Cheers,

Chris

Well, there you go. Weve lived 9 miles from Bath for the last 20-odd years and we'd missed this completely. Annoying since I'm a bit of a closet Janeite. I'll look out for it.

Cheers,

Chris

*curtseys*

I always plan to go then never get round to it. Been looking at outfits and everything this year though. Trying to get a group of us to go so I can go self catering and share the cost.

Remember to take your concertina. Anachronistic for Jane Austin, I know, but there's always that concertina-friendly session just down the road at BoA ...

Chris

BoA? What's that?

Bradford-on-Avon.

Spot on. It's the local name. I've long harboured a desire to start a band called the BoA Constrictors ...

Chris

Not feather Boa then? ;)

I've got a red feather Bradford

lol! Wouldn't the feathers get stuck in the bellows? ;)