Does the duet have a great future... discuss?

You think you've got problems. I'm trying to catch up with Iris Bishop!!

Get yourself a knitting machine !!

Al

That's what I've been doing wrong Thanks!

Ah ... do I see some design in this ??? (Knitting joke)

On the other hand ... can you hope to catch up? I see that the most recent ICA music supplement has an arrangement by her of Autumn Leaves in which her name is given as ISIS Bishop ... truly a goddess, and beyond the reach of mere mortals then?? :P

Edited by Irene S
  • Like 1

Al

On the other hand ... can you hope to catch up? I see that the most recent ICA music supplement has an arrangement by her of Autumn Leaves in which her name is given as ISIS Bishop ... truly a goddess, and beyond the reach of mere mortals then?? :P

Iris is a knitting machine instructor and travels around the World giving talks and demonstrations. She also designs knitting patterns. If you consider that, the keyboard of a Duet becomes fairly easy.

Al

I don't have the benefit of your researches Al, but my limited listening has left me with a few impressions; I have been privileged to hear the Maurice Harvey recording and I use the word advisedly. The other 'oldie' who seems particularly breathtaking is Herbert Greene; his recordings have some amazing 'filling' going on.

Alexander Prince, on the other hand, on the few tracks I've heard, seemed to rely on his backing band to fill out the sound and I have yet to hear anything impressive by him. I don't doubt he COULD play technical stuff, given his reputation. But it seems he didn't need to, to produce the effect the public desired at the time.

There are a couple of his pieces in the ICA library, and they, too, are very stripped. In this case they are professionally typeset (I think) and I wonder if they were sold for people to play on the parlour piano in the same way as a modern 'artiste' carries CD's arround to sell to the audience? If so it would explain why they are so basic feeling.

I am lucky enough to have a CD of Herbert Green's recordings ,twenty one of them.You are right Dirge he is a superb player.

I am just glad that Graham has the final choice on what to select amongst these.

Al

Al

Iris is a knitting machine instructor and travels around the World giving talks and demonstrations. She also designs knitting patterns. If you consider that, the keyboard of a Duet becomes fairly easy.

Al

There are quite a few of her patterns traceable on the net ,if anyone is interested to see what else she gets up to. I looked some of those up some while ago... and if I had or knew how to operate a knitting machine there are one or two I would quite fancy having a go at!

And just to prove that, here's a link to some http://www.knittinggallery.com/iris.htm

Edited by Irene S

A non-sequitur to the general discussion (after all, it has nothing to do with knitting), and something that should probably be on the buy and sell section, but did anybody notice the 24 key Maccann which Chris Algar had up for sale on ebay yesterday? The sale was due to finish last night, and when I looked at about 6pm it was already up to £1700. I was intrigued to know what it finally went for ... does anybody know? (Thought it was possibly more likely that some duet player on here might see this post than elsewhere)

A non-sequitur to the general discussion (after all, it has nothing to do with knitting), and something that should probably be on the buy and sell section, but did anybody notice the 24 key Maccann which Chris Algar had up for sale on ebay yesterday? The sale was due to finish last night, and when I looked at about 6pm it was already up to £1700. I was intrigued to know what it finally went for ... does anybody know? (Thought it was possibly more likely that some duet player on here might see this post than elsewhere)

£2261

OK, got it. Thanks.

Anymore anywhere?

Quite a few. I presume that you've followed the links from each of the videos in question? Additionally, you could try searching on Youtube for "duet concertina" "Maccann duet" etc .... it throws up quite a few different videos.

On the subject of recordings, I don't know whether you've been reading the Salvation Army recordings thread, but there is a link there to three recordings of duet playing at MF 269 and MF292 on

http://www.regalzonophone.com/RZ_78's_Page_2.htm

I got that too, thanks.

Many are quite old. I was hoping for new. I also followed the links to the pieces of music played on other instruments: guitars, harps, piano, harpsichords, what not. In general comparison is not in favor of concertina, esp. Duet. It's been discussed multiple times, so I was hoping to see some of the improvement. Ralph's playing is very good indeed, the style is exactly what I was hoping for. Salvation Army recordings suck for most part because of that dreaded roaring and mooing of the sustained notes. There is a reason one reeded concertina evolved into multi-reeded instrument that is much more popular throughout the world. Concertina is very tough to get the sound out of just right. If I knew how difficult the instrument is...huh.gif

.... did anybody notice the 24 key Maccann which Chris Algar had up for sale on ebay yesterday? The sale was due to finish last night, .........

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=250562976151

I wonder who that was made for?

Presumably Chris would have looked it up in the ledger and said if he'd found any famous owner?

(I didn't see it; neither money nor justification for this one though)

.... did anybody notice the 24 key Maccann which Chris Algar had up for sale on ebay yesterday? The sale was due to finish last night, .........

Presumably Chris would have looked it up in the ledger and said if he'd found any famous owner?

No mention of anyone special ... only that it was a very unusual/rare beast.

Edited by Irene S

No mention of anyone special ... only that it was a very unusual/rare beast.

The more recent Wheatstone Ledgers rarely make reference to the original owner.

What we do know (almost certainly) is that the new owner will be a collector (nothing wrong with that, if the person is prepared to pay a high price for a rare item), since I would have thought that a Maccann player would find a 24 key instrument ..... a little restricting.

The more recent Wheatstone Ledgers rarely make reference to the original owner.

What we do know (almost certainly) is that the new owner will be a collector (nothing wrong with that, if the person is prepared to pay a high price for a rare item), since I would have thought that a Maccann player would find a 24 key instrument ..... a little restricting.

I thought someone (Professor Chambers?) had said that if it was for someone notable (and presumably good PR to take special care over the job) the name was entered?

You're right a 2 octave instrument does not excite me at all, especially as it went for the sort of price that would buy a decent full sized instrument.

You're also right about the collector thing; it's difficult not to be upset at the idea that a good instrument is going to languish on a shelf without doing what it was made for, but clearly having it and not playing it is worth more to them than having it and playing it is worth to me. And that's that, end. In this case I don't think it applies anyway; I was more concerned about Chris's last unique one, the 89 key Lach that sold recently. If that is never played it would be a shame; that is a serious instrument.

I was hoping for new. .... Concertina is very tough to get the sound out of just right. If I knew how difficult the instrument is...huh.gif

I'm none too sure what you mean by "new" as a lot of those clips haven't been up for all that long comparatively speaking . There was one clip that is fairly recent that passed me by, which is an example of Iris Bishop, accompanying Martyn Wyndham Read. The sound on the video is not particularly good, but hopefully you get enough impression from it of what she is up to.

The sound on this one, which is much more recent is probably much better from the point of view of hearing what the concertina is contributing to the overall

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=R14C57p9XMY

Edited by Irene S

I am lucky enough to have a CD of Herbert Green's recordings ,twenty one of them.You are right Dirge he is a superb player.

I am just glad that Graham has the final choice on what to select amongst these.

Al

I take it that that isn't the recording which they make mention of on the website, since I can't see any indication on there that they actually went ahead and released one ?

Al

I take it that that isn't the recording which they make mention of on the website, since I can't see any indication on there that they actually went ahead and released one ?

No this is a private one sent to me for the Duet project, Irene

One of the perks of this job I hear em first.

Al :)

No this is a private one sent to me for the Duet project, Irene

One of the perks of this job I hear em first.

Al :)

I rather suspected that but thought it worth asking because they had mentioned the possibility of releasing something on the site ...

I was hoping for new. .... Concertina is very tough to get the sound out of just right. If I knew how difficult the instrument is...huh.gif

I'm none too sure what you mean by "new" as a lot of those clips haven't been up for all that long comparatively speaking . There was one clip that is fairly recent that passed me by, which is an example of Iris Bishop, accompanying Martyn Wyndham Read. The sound on the video is not particularly good, but hopefully you get enough impression from it of what she is up to.

The sound on this one, which is much more recent is probably much better from the point of view of hearing what the concertina is contributing to the overall

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=R14C57p9XMY

Thanks.

Yea, I heard all these. I consider them old. I frequently surf Youtube for Concertina clips, particularly Duet, particularly Classical music. And Bandoneon too. And I'm not listening to Russian Bayan players anymore, it's too disheartening.

I'm more interested in Duet been a solo instrument, not a drone machine. As drone it's less then impressive (to me. I hate those close sustained intervals threading my ears to pieces.) The singing is superb, he is one of very few, for sure.

Edited by m3838