From The C-net 'smilies'

"Mothers Day" is an interesting development in England. Certainly for many years we had "mothering sunday" usually in March and usually (I think) two weeks before Palm Sunday.

However initially the purpose of the event was sort of a parish census rather than any celebration of motherhood. So people would return to the parishes of their birth for one sunday in the year, to the place where they were "mothered" and had their start in the Christian Life.

This has changed over the years to become Mothers Day where we infact celebrate motherhood (which I think was an American custom).

I prefer the later development where we pay respect to our mothers and thank them for their kindness to us. Anyway I'm all for thanking mothers all year round so it does no harm to celebrate twice a year!

Hm, I didn't realize that England has a different 'Mother's Day' date and concept. Interesting....of course, I did a Google search and got extra info, just now!

(For a moment, there, I thought maybe I was inventing more than my own system of sharps and flats, heheh....I still haven't written my own calendar of holidays, though....HEY, THAT'S AN IDEA!!!!)

;)

I didn't realize that England has a different 'Mother's Day' date and concept.

Very few holidays are shared between the US and the rest of the world. New Year's Eve may be the only one.

Even Christmas and Easter in Christian countries may be celebrated differently.

Valentine's Day and Halloween are foreign intrusions celebrated by only small minorities in Denmark, in spite of major advertising campaigns by Hallmark. ;)

Ah it's very simple.

We can't celebrate Mother's Day in March in the United States as we celebrate St. Patrick's Day in March and are completely taken over with, um, good feeling. So nothing left for Mothers.

Therefore we wait 2 months until we are all charged up again and go for it.

Followed by Father's Day in June. When do the rest of you celebrate Dad? Or do you?

Helen

We can't celebrate Mother's Day in March in the United States as we celebrate St. Patrick's Day in March and are completely taken over with, um, good feeling. So nothing left for Mothers.

Hmm. What does that say about St. Paddy's Day coming only a month after Valentine's Day? :unsure: