Jones chromatic Anglo

If anyone's missed it I put a reply on Steve Gardham's post about his Wheatstone anglo special. I'm seeking some info on the possible age of my Jones which is a fully chromatic anglo ( only the same size as a standard 30 button)

It has 3 rows of 21 buttons each side

Edited by michael sam wild

If anyone's missed it I put a reply on Steve Gardham's post about his Wheatstone anglo special. I'm seeking some info on the possible age of my Jones which is a fully chromatic anglo ( only the same size as a standard 30 button) Thanks

The patent is around 1884 I believe - Angela Lee of Carlisle also had one of these. Aha - here you go check this link out

http://www.concertina.com/jones/index.htm

there are very few of these about, many have been retuned and I guess all are pretty close to the patent date.

Edited by gavdav

Thanks Gav, nice to know it might be rare I don't think I'm going to modify it, although I am going to change some reeds on my 30 button C/G Jones to get more chord options

I'd still be keen to know date from serial number

Cheers

Mike

PS Might see you on the Greno traipse this w/e if we can get out!

That link shows the note layout but here it is for anyone interested. Bold is as for 20 button basic layout (Eb = D#).. 21 buttons each side all fairly regularly laid out in rows and columns

LHS

Acc. row ,E/,F ,A/,A ,G#/,Bb C#/C# Eb/Eb G#/G# Bb/Bb

C row Bb/C ,C/,G ,G/,B C/D E/F G/A A/G

G row ,B/D D/F# G/A B/c d/e F/E F#F#

RHS

Acc a/g c#/c# eb/eb g#/g# bb/bb c'#/c'# e'b/d'

C row f#/f# c/B e/d g/f c/a e'/b' c'/f'

Grow f/f g/f# b/a d'/c' g'/e' b '/f'#' g#'/a'

Air

I reckon it was his first shot and he just added all the accidentals in no real sensible playing order to get in there first with his patent! It's not a pleasure to play in other keys than the home ones. On an older discussion Stephen Chambers reckons none plays one nowadays!

See http://www.concertin...eaded&pid=23456

I've had a go on other peoples' bigger boxes ( button- wise ) and found a much more playable layout

I'd welcome comparative diagrams for C/G with more than 30 buttons as I'm looking to get more than 30 buttons for playing in other keys.

sorry about layout on page what I entered didn't coem up. As I said imagine a 3x7 fairly regular matrix . I'll add photos if I can get a camera to work

NB.

I've just had a thought. To be fair Jones got the innards in quite nicely and maybe he expected people to shuffle reeds around to their liking and preference. That would make sense but how far could you go with that?

Thankssmile.gif

Mike

( Still snowed in so lots of time for faffing about like this!)

totally - I guess you're used to playing Irish style - I liek my core of a tune to be on three adjacent buttons, english style - I just found that duped button gave me melodeon style convenience! (and was less finger mangling)

I know what you mean now I'm working more on LH chords it helps if the RH can just go up and down the row , but I've got into the habit.

What I have noticed, now I'm working on the 'harmonic' approach to tunes and song accompaniments in C on the C/G, is that the pull G chord makes the A/G on LH , and a/g on the RH accidental rows more helpful than I realised before. thanks to Brian Peters for that insight.

It is also helping with the ITM in key of D and G on the C/G as it's another string to the bow.

I also like a c#/c# on the first Accidental on the RHS