New Year Demo

... if you go to the "OMNVOICE" website. search for my page.

The link isn't actually that easy to find unless you know what to put into "search" ... so to save the hassle (hope that's Ok Ralphie?) this is the spot you need to head for .... http://www.onmvoice....hie&type=people

Goes off whistling to have another listen to Yrsno - and may pick a tina up to have a go with it, having found the dots online!! Hoorah!

Hi Ralph.........just to add that I very much enjoyed your two recordings.

By coincidence I've just been having a discussion that only a concertina aficiondo could enjoy over the relative merits of english versus anglo versus duet.

Please don't blush but I think your playing and musicality represents all that is desirable in a duet concertina ( and its owner ,of course).

I loved it.

Robin

PS any idea where there is sheet music for Vipscottis ? Nice piece of tunage.

... if you go to the "OMNVOICE" website. search for my page.

The link isn't actually that easy to find unless you know what to put into "search" ... so to save the hassle (hope that's Ok Ralphie?) this is the spot you need to head for .... http://www.onmvoice....hie&type=people

Goes off whistling to have another listen to Yrsno - and may pick a tina up to have a go with it, having found the dots online!! Hoorah!

Just in case anyone else would like to have a copy of the dots to Yrsno (maybe Irene wants to keep them to herself! :ph34r:), they can be found in PDF format on Andy Hornby's Swedish Music tunes pages, here, on page 37, right at the bottom. Lots of other nice Scandinavian tunes, too.

Chris

Just in case anyone else would like to have a copy of the dots to Yrsno (maybe Irene wants to keep them to herself! :ph34r:), they can be found in PDF format on Andy Hornby's Swedish Music tunes pages, here, on page 37, right at the bottom. Lots of other nice Scandinavian tunes, too.

Chris

Interestingly enough that wasn't the link that I'd found - and the one I found had it notated in C, so I ended up learning it by ear (still struggling with a few bars of it - brain and hand don't wish to comply with each other at the moment). Thanks for the link Chris - as my Dad used to say " All is grist to my mill" !

By coincidence I've just been having a discussion that only a concertina aficiondo could enjoy over the relative merits of english versus anglo versus duet.

Please don't blush but I think your playing and musicality represents all that is desirable in a duet concertina ( and its owner ,of course).

I loved it.

Robin

Robin. Thanks for your kind words. much appreciated.

With regards to system differences, I think its just horses for courses. I took up the Duet without even knowing that there were different systems! It was just the first one I came across. Having grappled with it for months, I wasnt going to change!!! I find the English versus Irish spats on this board a bit tiresome I have to say though. Does any of it really matter?

Some systems suit some styles of playing, thats all. Vive La Difference!

As for Vipschottis. I learnt it from the playing of a great band from Gotland, Gunnfjauns Kapell. I think it was written by their guitarist Jan Ekedal. Have never seen any written dots for it though.

And actually, I rarely play from dots. I use them as an Aide memoire, but normally I'm too impatient to play something to bother with actually learning dots, and just go steaming in. Sometimes it works, other times I make a complete pigs ear of it, but isn't that the joy of playing?

None of my arrangements come out as planned normally, so I call them variations on a theme! (Thats my excuse!)

I've now realised that I've got 50 minutes of stuff down now, (15 tracks) and am contemplating actually selling them to all you rich people out there!

But, I'll hold on for a bit, as some of the tracks will, hopefully appear on the Duet International set, And thats a proper commercial release, so I wouldn't want to spoil that.

Therefore, I won't be posting any more up for the time being.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your kind and generous comments.

Kind regards to all

Ralphie

Lovely stuff, Ralph, and thanks for reminding me of the "Navy Lark" tune (I used to love the radio programme). I've just had a quick blast and it is playable on Anglo, although the tune does drop onto the left hand in a few places. I'll have to work on it.

I loved it.

Robin

Robin. Thanks for your kind words. much appreciated.

With regards to system differences, I think its just horses for courses. I took up the Duet without even knowing that there were different systems! It was just the first one I came across. Having grappled with it for months, I wasnt going to change!!! I find the English versus Irish spats on this board a bit tiresome I have to say though. Does any of it really matter?

Some systems suit some styles of playing, thats all. Vive La Difference!

As for Vipschottis. I learnt it from the playing of a great band from Gotland, Gunnfjauns Kapell. I think it was written by their guitarist Jan Ekedal. Have never seen any written dots for it though.

And actually, I rarely play from dots. I use them as an Aide memoire, but normally I'm too impatient to play something to bother with actually learning dots, and just go steaming in. Sometimes it works, other times I make a complete pigs ear of it, but isn't that the joy of playing?

None of my arrangements come out as planned normally, so I call them variations on a theme! (Thats my excuse!)

I've now realised that I've got 50 minutes of stuff down now, (15 tracks) and am contemplating actually selling them to all you rich people out there!

But, I'll hold on for a bit, as some of the tracks will, hopefully appear on the Duet International set, And thats a proper commercial release, so I wouldn't want to spoil that.

Therefore, I won't be posting any more up for the time being.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your kind and generous comments.

Kind regards to all

Ralphie

I don't think you will be getting many back Ralphie.

Your recent postings and hopefully Duet International will make 2010 the Year of the Duet.

Some recent converts to Duets like Jeff Leffert are really starting to produce some lovely recordings.

The Duet has a great future.

Any recently converted Duet players agree with me. Please start a separate page for discussion.

Al

Does that mean we will see you taking up the duet in the near future, Al?

Chris

Unless I'm much mistaken from conversations I've had with Al in the past ,at one point he used to own one. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong in that! :)

Hi Ralphie

Looking forward to your CD!

BTW, why not do a nice Irish tune on duet and post it here That could settle the matter for a whilesmile.gif

Stop stirring!!

I'd be eaten alive,It's apparently bad enough playing ITM (How I hate that term) on an English, let alone a Duet!

And as an aside. I've finished my CD "The Attic Tapes" about an hour ago. 17 tracks of Duet Delight! One whole hour of fun and games for all the family.

I'm holding off releasing it though, don't want to spoil Al Days Duet International project, and anyway, there may be some duplication of tracks.

So, I won't be posting any more of my waxings on here, (or indeed anywhere). So come on Mr Day...Get on with it! I've got a CD that is hot to trot!!!

(Just realised that I said most of that above! Ho hum. But 2 more tracks recorded yesterday afternoon. 1 Hour almost exactly! Better stop now or it won't fit on a CD!)

Edited by Ralph Jordan

Hi Ralph,

Just found the links to the 2 tunes you downloaded - absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed the tunes so much I just had to fetch my box out too and join in. Cant get up to your speed as yet, but working on it.

So excited - still in pyjamas and havent got dressed yet. Better get moving or will be in trouble !!!

Regards

David.

So excited - still in pyjamas and havent got dressed yet. Better get moving or will be in trouble !!!

Careful David - you might just be on the point of proving to the world that duet players ARE dedicated nutters!!! :rolleyes:

Careful David - you might just be on the point of proving to the world that duet players ARE dedicated nutters!!! :rolleyes:

Have just read this....The image it conjures up is rather frightening!

(Mind you, some of my recent recordings were done in a dressing gown.(On the days when it was so snowy, there was no point in going outside).

Glad you liked the tunes though.

Ralphie