Tutor for G/D Anglo

Sue W

Hi, I've recently started playing a G/D anglo. This is my first concertina and I chose a G/D as I am primarily interested in playing English music. I really love it but it would be a great help if I could find a book/CD or DVD tutor written for the G/D. I have no music background but have taught myself to read the'dots'. I'm learning from assorted tutor books for C/G anglo, and by playing with friends (none of whom play G/D anglo). I'm sure a tutor written specifically for G/D would be a great help. Has anyone come across one?

Sue

• Like 1

The techniques for playing G/D are exactly the same as for playing the more common C/G. You're simply playing in different keys, so the fingering which gives a C chord on the C/G comes out as a G chord on the G/D. It's not difficult to translate a tutor into the appropriate key, expecially if you use a keyboard diagram to show where the notes are.

A lot of the tutors are for Irish-style playing. For English-style, you could look at John Kirkpatrick's "How to play the Anglo" articles, and Alan Day has prepared a tutorial - you can contact him through this forum.

The techniques for playing G/D are exactly the same as for playing the more common C/G. You're simply playing in different keys, so the fingering which gives a C chord on the C/G comes out as a G chord on the G/D. It's not difficult to translate a tutor into the appropriate key, expecially if you use a keyboard diagram to show where the notes are.

Thanks. This is what I am currently doing but it can be quite slow. I was hoping there was something that would help me along a little quicker.

Sue

Hi Sue I know your subject was G/D Tutor .But would like to make the following comments .

I sympathise with you I am also learning on the G/D Anglo and also play a C/G .It would be nice if there was a published set of cord's for the G/D ,someone promised to send me some but they did not arrive.

If you are cleaver you can move every thing up or is it down from the C/G cords.You use the same cord patterns but they become different cords.

Another difference I find playing tunes "harmony style" on the G/D is that I have to use the top of the G Row more than the C/G. All the best. Bob.

Edited by KelTekgolow