HOW LIGHT CAN ONE SET SPRING PRESSURE

In my experience, that's difficult to do. Lessening the spring tension on a Lachenal usually results in pad leaks. Of course, that would depend on how strong they are now.

I asked something similar for an air button some weeks ago and in the end I went inside and found there were TWO springs fighting me on the lever. This was was why it was so hard to push in at full bellows and I was having to use the 'name-plate' hole to get some leverage on the bellows pull.

I have removed one of the two springs and it is so much easier and 'seems' to be holding back the air... seems.....but I suspect escapes somewhere else, but I think that could be one of the usual mystery leaks.

I may (wrong thread I am sure, and don't laugh) try putting part of a lit anti-mosquito coil or an incense cone (http://www.simplyincense.co.uk/products.asp?cid=273) under open (one end only)bellows. (The potential air leak may be somewhere where the usual light trick don't show.

I already roughed up the chamois and the poor kid is getting thin in some outside edge areas and may need some paper sheet filler (Thank you Theo).

(In the past I have used cigarette papers and sometimes the thicker, piece of card, which is there to tell you that there are only five thin papers left in a pack. I use regular size Swan papers but of course for long edges maybe the much longer cigarette papers might be useful but I have no experience of them. Maybe the ready-glued paper edge also helps sealing with the other glue.)

The coil

http://www.roamingfox.co.uk/Mosquito-Coils-pr-16414.html?gclid=CJ3V3Mrrhp8CFZ1h4wodzDTMJA

may be a pain to position, whereas the cone sits flat. A joss stick would be unstable and risky; though the stick might "reach the parts which cone and coil do not... "

Of course Dirge may have some spare, (funereal of course) incense which he sells on the side...

These cones and coils do not flame once lit, they just glow dimly and slowly emit smoke. If I chooose sandalwood perfume, at least the box will smell nicer than all those sawdust, beer and pub smoke smells which folk gloat about on their antique peformers...

Judging from the front page of today's Sat/Sun FT the Pope has been trying the same technique on his Chemnitzer but maybe online only on Sunday :) ft.com - New Year Message.

I am not sure how to post a smoke signal here about any resulting data. I know it has to be white for success and black for go back and try again...

PS re earlier sneezing, coughing and supect fungus, I bought the anti-fungal liquid spray (not powder spray) and started trying it (tks v much for the earlier advice and guidance!) I was quite, perhaps over, cautious where I sprayed inside the bellows, away from reeds, so do not know if it has worked yet... I can't smell the spray... However, I can give specific brand details, costs and where to buy if anyone wants. B)

Edited by Kautilya
  • Downvote 1

If you are looking for a light touch, experiment on the longest lever; this is the one which will have the most difficulty sealing with low spring weight. When you have a pressure you like and if the pad is not blowing off too easily, match the other springs to it.

Chris

If you are looking for a light touch, experiment on the longest lever; this is the one which will have the most difficulty sealing with low spring weight. When you have a pressure you like and if the pad is not blowing off too easily, match the other springs to it.

Chris

Although it mostly coincides is it not the largest pad rather than the longest lever that will cause the most difficulty sealing with low spring force, due to pressure conditions?

Edited by Ardie

True, square area of the hole is equally an issue. I am used to thinking in Jeffries style where by the time the longest lever on the left is reached, at middle C, the padholes are already as large as they are going to get. Not sure what happens in Lachenal or Wheatstone concertinas or ECs, where the pads may be larger on lower notes and have long levers as well.

Chris