Quartet with Anglo

's a video of The Toy Boats, a quartet I'm in, playing Ivanovici's "Donauwellen." Lineup: Anglo concertina, toy piano, ukulele, and glockenspiel.

Best,

Steven

That was very charming. Would love to see you guys in person. By the way,. this is the same tune Al Jolson and Saul Chaplin used in their song, "Anniversary Song" from the motion picture "The Jolson Story". I didn't realize the tune might have pre-dated their use of it.

Edited by CaryK

Here's what Wikipedia says about the tune:

Waves of the Danube (Romanian: Valurile Dunării; German: Donauwellen; French: Flots du Danube; Russian: Дунайские Волны) is a waltz composed by Iosif Ivanovici (1845–1902) in 1880, and is one of the most famous Romanian tunes in the world. In the United States, it is frequently referred to as The Anniversary Song, a title given by Al Jolson when he and Saul Chaplin released an adaptation of the song in 1946.

"Waves of the Danube" became known in the United States only half a century later. Al Jolson and Saul Chaplin published it in 1946 under the name of "The Anniversary Song" ("Oh, how we danced on the night we were wed") and as their own composition. The 1946 sheet music of the song credits the composers as Al Jolson and Saul Chaplin with music by Iosif Ivanovici. Jolson and Chaplin wrote the lyrics while Chaplin adapted Ivanovici's music.

Too bad the window changed from "Palmer Bros." to "For Lease" between the various takes you filmed (I even notice different displays in the "Palmer Bros." window, with or without sacks in the lower right corner).

Too bad the window changed from "Palmer Bros." to "For Lease" between the various takes you filmed (I even notice different displays in the "Palmer Bros." window, with or without sacks in the lower right corner).

We discussed continuity a lot after the video was finished! There's a moment with a closeup of the glockenspiel playing its highest note, and then magically the instrument plays even higher notes immediately after . . .

Here's what Wikipedia says about the tune:

Waves of the Danube (Romanian: Valurile Dunării; German: Donauwellen; French: Flots du Danube; Russian: Дунайские Волны) is a waltz composed by Iosif Ivanovici (1845–1902) in 1880, and is one of the most famous Romanian tunes in the world. In the United States, it is frequently referred to as The Anniversary Song, a title given by Al Jolson when he and Saul Chaplin released an adaptation of the song in 1946.

"Waves of the Danube" became known in the United States only half a century later. Al Jolson and Saul Chaplin published it in 1946 under the name of "The Anniversary Song" ("Oh, how we danced on the night we were wed") and as their own composition. The 1946 sheet music of the song credits the composers as Al Jolson and Saul Chaplin with music by Iosif Ivanovici. Jolson and Chaplin wrote the lyrics while Chaplin adapted Ivanovici's music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeCKdyJfSWI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7WaMigIHhk

We discussed continuity a lot after the video was finished! There's a moment with a closeup of the glockenspiel playing its highest note, and then magically the instrument plays even higher notes immediately after . . .

I rather enjoyed the continuity "issues"! My little group are going to make a video soon - I'm tempted to suggest we introduce some little "mistakes" ourselves :)

I had this on a music box when I was young... at least it was the first 16 measures.