lubrication sticking buttons/fulcra

Anyone think this could have a use for tinas?

comes from hurdy gurdy gear via melodeon.net

quote:

What about 'Slippy Stuff'... Teflon powder suspended in white spirit... created by Neil Brook as a dry lubricant for Hurdy Gurdy keyslides.

It's a similar problem, so I'd proffer this as a similar solution... and less drastic than pulling the keyboard apart.

More information here http://www.hurdy-gurdy.org.uk/accessories.html

(then again... the white spirit might react to pearloid covering... Undecided so be careful...)

end quote

BTW bulk manufacture of concertina reeds - stumbled on these people who use 5,000 per annum!! Perhaps useful technical details

http://www.mfg.com/seo/en/rfqs/Machining-for-Buyer-in-Massachusetts-United-States-of-America-325975_en.html

Edited by Kautilya

Anyone think this could have a use for tinas?

comes from hurdy gurdy gear via melodeon.net

quote:

What about 'Slippy Stuff'... Teflon powder suspended in white spirit... created by Neil Brook as a dry lubricant for Hurdy Gurdy keyslides.

It's a similar problem, so I'd proffer this as a similar solution... and less drastic than pulling the keyboard apart.

More information here http://www.hurdy-gurdy.org.uk/accessories.html

(then again... the white spirit might react to pearloid covering... Undecided so be careful...)

end quote

BTW bulk manufacture of concertina reeds - stumbled on these people who use 5,000 per annum!! Perhaps useful technical details

http://www.mfg.com/seo/en/rfqs/Machining-for-Buyer-in-Massachusetts-United-States-of-America-325975_en.html

That was an old request of the greatly missed Rich Morse in his efforts to find someone to produce reed tongues for him in the US. As far as I know ( and we often spoke of this search ) he never was able to find anyone either capable or interested in providing the service.

Regarding the Slippy Stuff I use Molybdenum diSulfide in isopropyl alcohol for a good dry lube in concertina mechanisms which I like better than Graphite because it has an affinity for metal and tends to adhere much more permanently to the surface. I would think the essentiallly colorlessness of the teflon suspension would be an advantage. I don't know what "white sprit" means, But if it is either methanol ethanol, it may eat into finishes, but why someone would use it on the outside of a concertina I couldn't guess.

Dana

.... I don't know what "white sprit" means, But if it is either methanol ethanol, it may eat into finishes, but why someone would use it on the outside of a concertina I couldn't guess.

White Spirit is a commonly-used solvent for painting and decorating and is also a degreasing agent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit

Silicone Oil is an ideal wood/ metal lubricant. Usually sold in Aerosol form. Just squirt a little in the lid and paint it on.(No good for surfaces that require painting, sticking, or plating however) The liquid is colourless, inert. Superb for drawer runners.Many years ago I used to sell it to the Rubber and plastics industry.

Al B)

Silicone Oil is an ideal wood/ metal lubricant. Usually sold in Aerosol form. Just squirt a little in the lid and paint it on.(No good for surfaces that require painting, sticking, or plating however) The liquid is colourless, inert. Superb for drawer runners.Many years ago I used to sell it to the Rubber and plastics industry.

Al B)

Hi Al and All,

I recently finished reconditioning an old Jones with rivet action. Some of the levers were quite slow and sticky at the pivot. It wasn't until I removed the pivot and lever and cleaned out the sticky stuff with mineral spirits that the levers became functional. Rubbed a bit of graphite into the pivot and they now move freely.

I have a very strong suspicion the sticky, gummy stuff in the pivots was the residue and attracted dirt accumulation of someone oiling the pivots years previous.

Having not seen it I can't comment on the silicon. I know Al is a knowledgable repairman and I respect his opinion. I would however caution anyone to be very careful of contaminating the action board with any foreign substance that might hinder future repairs.

Greg

White spirit is somewhere between turpentine and kerosine, and called "white" while it is more clean than spirit as such - whatever clean may be...

Sounds like what they call Mineral spirits over here in the US. I prefer alcohol suspensions because they dry much faster, but I guess you get what they put in the bottle.

Dana

Hello all, I have a used Rochelle arriving sometime in the next week or so, so I don't even consider myself a beginner yet, having never picked up a Concertina. I am however a Tool & Die Maker, Machinist, and currently a Machine Repairman. I might be willing to look into the feasibility of reed manufacture at some point.

I'm in no hurry to dive into reed design and production. There are likely some very good reasons why there are currently no production manufacturers of them. For the time being, I plan to concentrate on just playing the instrument.