wrist straps

kjillinois

I recently purchased a jack concertina and am looking for information on installing wrist straps. I love the lower notes of the jack but it does take a little more force on the bellows than the treble. Does anyone out there sell wrist straps and how is the best way to mount them? Any information would be appreciated.

Yes, they are adjustable. I have issues with weak wrists and even on a treble EC need the extra support. Bob used the same hardware they use to attach anglo straps at the bottom of the handles. There is a little brass insert you push into a small hole you have drilled. It is held against the wood by ridges on its outer surface. It is threaded inside and takes a brass bolt that goes through the strap. He used these at both ends and cut big straps from soft leather. It is hard to describe without a photo. It works great, looks nice, and is better than anything I could rig up. I would not do this to an heirloom Aeola, but I have a rough-and-tumble Lachenal.

Ken

Yes, they are adjustable. I have issues with weak wrists and even on a treble EC need the extra support. Bob used the same hardware they use to attach anglo straps at the bottom of the handles. There is a little brass insert you push into a small hole you have drilled. It is held against the wood by ridges on its outer surface. It is threaded inside and takes a brass bolt that goes through the strap. He used these at both ends and cut big straps from soft leather. It is hard to describe without a photo. It works great, looks nice, and is better than anything I could rig up. I would not do this to an heirloom Aeola, but I have a rough-and-tumble Lachenal.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Sounds good to me. I think I'll contact them. The jack is plastic, so I hope it is thick enough to drill into and hold the insert. I too like the wrist strap as it relieves any tension on my pinkie and thumbs. I've been trying to train myself to play the lowest notes with the jack on the push rather than the pull and that does help. keith

STRAPS - there used to be lots somewhere here about ergonomics of various straps by someone called Goran Rahm and I see there may be discussions with him on mudcat, though I have not really used it. Different message layout. Praps u can try him.

sthing came up here:

http://www.mudcat.org/detail.cfm?messages__Message_ID=2309093

Hi Kautilya. I did go on mudcat and from there on to some postings by Goran that contained his drawings and research on the concertina. I'm in the states, so I think I'll try button box. Wheatstone had them in 08 and the thread said they were around $56 then. My only question now is "will the plastic hold the insert. Thank you for the input. keith

STRAPS - there used to be lots somewhere here about ergonomics of various straps by someone called Goran Rahm and I see there may be discussions with him on mudcat, though I have not really used it. Different message layout. Praps u can try him.

sthing came up here:

I did go on mudcat and from there on to some postings by Goran that contained his drawings and research on the concertina.

NOTE: Göran's "straps" are not "wrist" straps. They are straps that fit across the back of the palm, like those on anglos and duets, though Göran's design also incorporates an extended platform underneath the hand, rather than the simple bar of anglos and duets.

Be aware of the difference. If you want wrist straps for your English, that's fine, and you should check with the Button Box. If you want Göran's modifications, they're something quite different, and you'll probably have to make them yourself. (If you're playing a Jack, I would guess that you don't have the budget to have them custom made for you.) And the two different designs will have quite different effects on your playing.

My only question now is "will the plastic hold the insert. Thank you for the input. keith

Hello Keith, I'm baffled by your question! The ends of the Jack are made of wood, is it the shiny finish that makes you think it's plastic? There should be no problem fitting wrist straps to a Jack.

Pete.

My only question now is "will the plastic hold the insert. Thank you for the input. keith

Hello Keith, I'm baffled by your question! The ends of the Jack are made of wood, is it the shiny finish that makes you think it's plastic? There should be no problem fitting wrist straps to a Jack.

Pete.

Hi Pete. That is great news! I just assumed the ends were plastic. Thanks so much. keith

sthing came up here:

I did go on mudcat and from there on to some postings by Goran that contained his drawings and research on the concertina.

NOTE: Göran's "straps" are not "wrist" straps. They are straps that fit across the back of the palm, like those on anglos and duets, though Göran's design also incorporates an extended platform underneath the hand, rather than the simple bar of anglos and duets.

Be aware of the difference. If you want wrist straps for your English, that's fine, and you should check with the Button Box. If you want Göran's modifications, they're something quite different, and you'll probably have to make them yourself. (If you're playing a Jack, I would guess that you don't have the budget to have them custom made for you.) And the two different designs will have quite different effects on your playing.

Hi Kautilya. I have no interest in modifying the instrument, just need a little support for the lower notes. keith

Hi Kautilya. I have no interest in modifying the instrument, just need a little support for the lower notes. keith

Hi. By modifying the handles you in no way modifying the instrument.

Ends of a Jack are made of plywood, not wood. They are covered in Celluloid for better integrity and to cover the plywood, accordion way.

Wrist straps (yes, they can be called "wrist straps" just as well. A Palm is simply internal part of your hand) will likely not add any more ease for the Jack, as it's main problem - cheap chinese reeds that are not responsive. More force on pull will simply choke them, and wrist straps will add absolutely no advantage in pushing. So I'd say, if you are not going to install Goran's handles, leave the instrument alone and adjust to it. Play it sitting, with bellows over your knee, or one end over your knee. Simply don't play it with both ends up in the air, it's not that kind of concertina. If you absolutely have to play standing, use accordion shoulder belt, one end attached to the top of right side, another to the bottom of left side. Right side goes over your right shoulder, left side goes under your left armpit. Or if you are left handed, reverse the order.

Edited by m3838

Shoulder strap (s)

Lots here on seated Melodeons and of course John Kirkpatrick standing up

Not sure if I understand the reply. Concertina is not an accordion, it's ergonomics are not as good. Good response is more important in Concertina, that's why Goran efforts so much in explaining his handle contraption. My suggestion is not as radical, but it works and it's cheap and easy to make. I used to have an instructional video, but the website where I stored it, crashed. So here is just the drawing. http://www.box.net/shared/vitn60ocok

Shoulder strap (s)

Lots here on seated Melodeons and of course John Kirkpatrick standing up

Not sure if I understand the reply. Concertina is not an accordion, it's ergonomics are not as good. Good response is more important in Concertina, that's why Goran efforts so much in explaining his handle contraption. My suggestion is not as radical, but it works and it's cheap and easy to make. I used to have an instructional video, but the website where I stored it, crashed. So here is just the drawing. http://www.box.net/shared/vitn60ocok

Thanks for the web site and drawing. I'm trying to balance the left end of the concertina on one knee and develop a bellows movement that is comfortable and sustainable. Just love the instrument. I also found I am expending move pressure than I really need on the bellows, so have been playing a little more lightly especially with the treble. My wife appreciates that. Again, thanks everyone for the help. I loved the clip with the melodeons.

keith

You said: "Not sure if I understand the reply. Concertina is not an accordion,"

Some confusion twixt us.... :blink:

The players shown were all on melodeons which are same push and pull as an Anglo, unlike the keys on a standard keyboard accordion, and they use the shoulder strap (and their thumb against the side of the high treble plate) to hold the high note button side still while pushing and pulling with the bass side. Just thought it might be another solution..... :P

Edited by Kautilya

You said: "Not sure if I understand the reply. Concertina is not an accordion,"

Some confusion twixt us.... :blink:

The players shown were all on melodeons which are same push and pull as an Anglo, unlike the keys on a standard keyboard accordion, and they use the shoulder strap (and their thumb against the side of the high treble plate) to hold the high note button side still while pushing and pulling with the bass side. Just thought it might be another solution..... :P

Still not sure what you aiming at.

Accordion is vertically designed, with one end strapped (freeing the hand) and another side free (with strapped hand). Ergonomically it's wa-ay better than concertina, allowing easier operation of much heavier instrument. Diatonic accordions don't have to be played with thumb propping the keyboard, in fact, the better the response - the less of that support you need. Besides, larger DBBs (Diatonic Button Boxes) are stabilized by inertia. Concertina has no inertia, played from both sides and is round. Both hands are pulling/pushing while pressing buttons - not very good ergonomics, to say the least. So...

My strap emulates accordion, but not quite.

Goran's strap is something else alltogether. Most definitely it will affect the technique, but judging by Goran's multi-chord playing, the strap is versatile enough. Whether it fits requirement of high end pro we don't know. There aren't any pros around yet to test.

I haven't tried it, have no time. I bought thick sheets of plexiglass to try to make something like Goran's strap and fit it to Jackie, but these sheets are laying around untouched. May be January, with College vacations (I'm teaching), will allow me the time.