Wheatstone anglo special

Steve Gardham

This may have no significance whatsoever, but if you look at the 55key pluses there seems to be a definite trend rising from my 61 to 68, 72, 74 and then it starts to slide back down again 70, 64, 56. What do you reckon the 'mag' stands for, 'Magnum opus', 'magic', 'magnificent'?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may have no significance whatsoever, but if you look at the 55key pluses there seems to be a definite trend rising from my 61 to 68, 72, 74 and then it starts to slide back down again 70, 64, 56. What do you reckon the 'mag' stands for, 'Magnum opus', 'magic', 'magnificent'?

I've started a new thread on Wheatstone made Jeffries Duets as I am pretty convinced that my G/D is a retuned one of them :)

• 13 years later...

So, recently bought via the instruments for sale pages a 48 key Anglo with a ‘proper’ A row - arranged below the D physically but only a tone higher than the G row (plus G/D) giving melodeon like fingering across the rows. Apologies for resurrecting this ancient thread but am kind of curious about Wheatstone model numbers as this one wasn’t marked AG Duet on the ledgers. (28474, 1920).

Actually more compact than the instruments I owned previously but pretty intelligently laid out and doesn’t appear to be a duet conversion. Confusing.

8 hours ago, gavdav said:

... am kind of curious about Wheatstone model numbers as this one wasn’t marked AG Duet on the ledgers. (28474, 1920).

The model numbers denoted the quality, and number of buttons, of standard models. Anything else was a "Special" that in certain cases might be described by an abbreviation such as "AG Duet" or (for 28473, above yours) "Bar" for Baritone, etc.

Any instrument described as an "AG Duet" that I've seen has had a fourth, innermost, duet row of unisonor notes.