Final graphics for the "Concertina" iPhone/iPod Touch app

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son got an i pod touch for Christmas and with a little persuasion downloaded your concertina app - aka I'm paying for it, so download it!!!

I love it, although it took me a while to get to grips with the tilt (or was it just the beers?)

my only query would be this:

Why double the c# on the push?

I can understand why you would want this on a real concertina, especially if you were playing ITM a la Noel Hill, but with the limited number of buttons available on the ipod, why not a Bb, pull G or a push A?

No criticism intended, I love what you have done and hope it may get my son away from heavy metal, but I was just curious!

Nigel

Surprise! Here's the demo showing the final graphics for the app, should be available in 4 keys (C/G, Bb/F, A/E, and G/D) by Jan 1:

Forgive a stupid question from a brand new Iphone user, but...

How do I update the application? When I try using the update button on the phone, it tells me it's too big and I have to do it thru the computer connection to the Itunes story. But I don't see how to update from there.

thanks

Never mind; connected to my wireless network and it worked fine.

Edited by Jim Besser

My son got an i pod touch for Christmas and with a little persuasion downloaded your concertina app - aka I'm paying for it, so download it!!!

I love it, although it took me a while to get to grips with the tilt (or was it just the beers?)

my only query would be this:

Why double the c# on the push?

I can understand why you would want this on a real concertina, especially if you were playing ITM a la Noel Hill, but with the limited number of buttons available on the ipod, why not a Bb, pull G or a push A?

No criticism intended, I love what you have done and hope it may get my son away from heavy metal, but I was just curious!

Nigel

Well, I only play ITM, and I learned from Noel Hill, and the instrument I play mostly (a Wally Carrol C/G) has the buttons setup that way, so there you go. :-)

It works well for anyone who plays either Wheatstone or Jeffies fingers can instantly use it. Point well taken, having a B-flat would have been perhaps a good compromise... Maybe in a future release, could add some options for various button setups. Thanks for the suggestion! :-)

Surprise! Here's the demo showing the final graphics for the app, should be available in 4 keys (C/G, Bb/F, A/E, and G/D) by Jan 1:

How do I update the application? When I try using the update button on the phone, it tells me it's too big and I have to do it thru the computer connection to the Itunes story. But I don't see how to update from there.

thanks

Apple I believe sets an arbitrary limit of 10 megabytes on apps that can be installed over the cellular data network...

thanks

So, how do you like the new version?

I asked a while back on another discussion whether someone could come up with a touch sensitive application to try out various reed combinations . Congrats on your programme!

Any chance of an interactive one,where you can input various reed combinations to try them out before drastic real life surgery?

Happy New Year

Edited by michael sam wild

Thank you everyone for the feedback and feature suggestions.

In the upcoming 1.2 update to Concertina (C/G version), to make it possible to play tunes in D Dorian and G Minor, I've added the ability to select between a C#/C#, C#/Bb, or Bb/C# for the bottom most key of the right side accidental row.

Here are some screen shots:

Settings page with the new layout selector:

4233672247_9c6d3c42b9_o.jpg

C#/C# Layout (1.0 and 1.1 default):

4234445892_cd8188d7aa_o.jpg

C#/Bb Layout:

4233672181_793afc6fd8_o.jpg

Bb/C# Layout (1.2 default):

4234446000_3c72950975_o.jpg

The guide screens track the current layout setting.

Only the C/G version will have the full layout select feature. For the Bb/F, A/E, and G/D versions, I've changed them all to provide the equivalent of the Bb/C# layout in their respective keys.

The updates are all currently in review with Apple, should hit the store as free updates sometime late next week.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Michael

Edited by eskin

You're very quick off the mark!

I like the second 1:2 default layout with the pull C# and push Bb, as I would use the pull C# far more than the push. Keep up the good work.

Nigel

I've added a couple of full-screen tutorial videos to the website showing how to play basic G and D scales, as well as how to play "The Kesh Jig" on the app.

Tutorial - G and D Scales

Tutorial - Kesh Jig

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Michael

Edited by eskin

Hi Michael,

I really enjoy your little program. Now my big request: couldn't you cater for the other half of humanity and program an English-System version? It should be even easier to play by holding the iphone with both thumbs and tinkies and playing with the other six fingers!! And no bellow-changes!!

It should be possible to squeeze 2 x 16 key onto the screen!

I'm sure there would be many out there to help you with layout and samples etc...

And I finally would have an excuse to buy an iphone...

Hi Michael,

I really enjoy your little program. Now my big request: couldn't you cater for the other half of humanity and program an English-System version? It should be even easier to play by holding the iphone with both thumbs and tinkies and playing with the other six fingers!! And no bellow-changes!!

I'm sure there would be many out there to help you with layout and samples etc...

I really don't think it would be possible, there just isn't room, and more problematically, I don't play English so would have no idea what would work and what would not.

A big part of developing the Anglo concertina apps was that I knew that if I was happy with it as far as playability, that other Anglo players would also enjoy it... I couldn't do that for an English instrument...

Edited by eskin

Hi Michael,

I really don't think it would be possible, there just isn't room, and more problematically, I don't play English so would have no idea what would work and what would not.

A big part of developing the Anglo concertina apps was that I knew that if I was happy with it as far as playability, that other Anglo players would also enjoy it... I couldn't do that for an English instrument...

oooooooh!!!

Hi Michael,

oooooooh!!!

I know virtually nothing about English concertinas... If someone wants to send me a 320x480 image with circles in the spots where the buttons should go, and the pitches that belong on those buttons, I could consider doing an English concertina app.

Take a look at the screenshots I've posted from the Anglo version to use as a reference. If there is a way to reduce the number of buttons so that ideally they are no smaller than 50 pixels in diameter, that would be best. For example, on the Anglo version, I left out the lowest, highest, and some of the accidentals, yet still kept enough buttons to allow playing the vast majority of traditional Irish tune melodies. I can have someone do the artwork, just need some guidance from someone who has an iPhone or iPod touch about how they would ideally want it to be setup on the screen. When you do this, really consider that the screen is only about 2 inches by 3 inches, in my opinion, you aren't going to get all the buttons on an English on there in a way that is actually playable by a person with normal sized fingers.

I would also need at least a couple of experienced English concertina players who currently have either an iPhone or 2nd generation iPod Touch (the one with the speaker built-in) to volunteer to be beta testers to give me feedback and find bugs, I would send you prereleases of the software. Unfortunately, I have to build beta versions for specific devices, so I wouldn't be able to open it up for general testing.

Please feel free to contact me via PM or email seisiuneer@gmail.com.

Michael

Edited by eskin

I know virtually nothing about English concertinas... If someone wants to send me a 320x480 image with circles in the spots where the buttons should go, and the pitches that belong on those buttons, I could consider doing an English concertina app.

Take a look at the screenshots I've posted from the Anglo version to use as a reference. If there is a way to reduce the number of buttons so that ideally they are no smaller than 50 pixels in diameter, that would be best. For example, on the Anglo version, I left out the lowest, highest, and some of the accidentals, yet still kept enough buttons to allow playing the vast majority of traditional Irish tune melodies. I can have someone do the artwork, just need some guidance from someone who has an iPhone or iPod touch about how they would ideally want it to be setup on the screen. When you do this, really consider that the screen is only about 2 inches by 3 inches, in my opinion, you aren't going to get all the buttons on an English on there in a way that is actually playable by a person with normal sized fingers.

I would also need at least a couple of experienced English concertina players who currently have either an iPhone or 2nd generation iPod Touch (the one with the speaker built-in) to volunteer to be beta testers to give me feedback and find bugs, I would send you prereleases of the software. Unfortunately, I have to build beta versions for specific devices, so I wouldn't be able to open it up for general testing.

Michael

The difficulty with the English layout is that it needs to be in columns. So the limiting factor is the total distance from side to side (longways) of the screen. Looking at your screen layout, I suspect you could fit 2 central columns of 7 buttons, with one column of 4 and one column of 3 on each hand. My suggestion would be to do D to B' on the right hand and E to C'' on the left. With the accidentals on the outside 2 columns, that would give not quite 2 fully chromatic octaves. A fairly simple option would be to select the starting lowest right hand note which would allow you to shift up or down a fifth.

My graphic skills stink but I'll give it a try.

Michael

The difficulty with the English layout is that it needs to be in columns. So the limiting factor is the total distance from side to side (longways) of the screen. Looking at your screen layout, I suspect you could fit 2 central columns of 7 buttons, with one column of 4 and one column of 3 on each hand. My suggestion would be to do D to B' on the right hand and E to C'' on the left. With the accidentals on the outside 2 columns, that would give not quite 2 fully chromatic octaves. A fairly simple option would be to select the starting lowest right hand note which would allow you to shift up or down a fifth.

My graphic skills stink but I'll give it a try.

Awesome, thanks! Really, as far as the graphics, just a 320x480 image with circles where the buttons should be for playing would be fine. Mostly for me to determine if it can be workable as as UI.