Final graphics for the "Concertina" iPhone/iPod Touch app

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This App is incomaptible with this iPod Touch

This app requires a microphone.

Not true -- I'm running it now on my iPod Touch, sans microphone. It does require a 2nd generation Touch, as stated on the apps store page ... perhaps you have an older one?

I guess I must have. I was always under the impression it was a 2nd Gen. Let's see, who do I know with an iPhone? ;)

Took about a half hour to get used to it. I tried an experiment and just fiddled with a new tune on it (Dunmore Lasses, nothing too complex) that I've never played on Concertina before. After I got it down playing it on the phone (with headphones on), I picked up my concertina and tried to see how much carried over.

The tune just flew out. Great for learning tunes imo.

I like it a lot. I'll probably buy the other key ones just to fool around with.

Surprise! Here's the demo showing the final graphics for the app, should be available in 4 keys (C/G, Bb/F, A/E, and G/D) by Jan 1:

I don't think I understand the button layout, but I'm sure there is a good reason behind it. Regardless,

WAY COOL!!! (And a nice sound too)

Dana

Dana,

Here's a diagram showing my 30-key modified Jeffries instrument's layout (dual push/pull C# on right) then the iPhone app layout:

4196832037_6081761c8c_o.gif

Now take the bottom layout and put the left buttons on the left side of the iPhone, the right buttons on the right side of the iPhone:

4187142444_2199e17fee_o.jpg

If you already play an Anglo, it is <exactly> the same as a real instrument, and if you don't, learning to play the app will be a great start toward the real instrument since the fingerings are completely transferable.

Cheers,

Michael

Completely clear now, Excellent choices! I'll get a copy too.

Dana

This App is incomaptible with this iPod Touch

This app requires a microphone.

Not true -- I'm running it now on my iPod Touch, sans microphone. It does require a 2nd generation Touch, as stated on the apps store page ... perhaps you have an older one?

The app does not require a microphone, but it does require either an iPhone or iPod Touch that has the built-in speaker. I know from personal experience that it works fine on both of those configurations, and both on the iPhone 2G, 3G, and 3GS.

Glad to hear y'all are having fun with it! If you get a chance Please post a review on the iTunes store!

I can't wait until y'all get your hands on the 1.1 version, code is complete, just waiting on the final artwork.

Cheers and many thanks!

Michael

I gave you a review (as idiotcoder).

Pretty!

I've had a chance to try the app for a while. Nice, although I didn't get that easily used to it as Ashkettle. I'm getting my pushes and pulls mixed up. So now I'm really curious whether the option to change the direction will really make a difference, or I'm just hopeless! :lol:

I'll let you know when I find out.

Is there a particular reason you placed the push/pull indicator and the info and options interface at the bottom of the screen? The way it is now, left and right hand are not aligned, but the right hand needs to be positioned lower. This might also just be a question of getting used to it, but I found my self missing buttons more easily (obviously, there is also more space to go astray on the right side). But if one holds the iPhone relaxed in the playing position, the fingers of the right hand tend to go parallel to those of the left, ie. they'd miss the buttons... I'm not sure I'm making that much sense, back to the egg nogg! :P

Here are the final skins for the 1.1 update, just finished integrating them a few minutes ago:

Lach:

4214545233_c2784d1c32_o.jpg

Maple:

4214545275_9e158b557d_o.jpg

Wood:

4215316502_4affa8cc47_o.jpg

Black:

4214545183_b05f070416_o.jpg

Art:

4215316408_93894e2826_o.jpg

Settings:

4214545351_03bc90a127_o.jpg

The updates will be submitted to Apple on December 28th, and should arrive on the store in mid-January 2010. It will be a free update to current owners through iTunes, or $0.99 for new buyers.

Cheers and thanks,

Michael

Edited by eskin

Surprise! Here's the demo showing the final graphics for the app, should be available in 4 keys (C/G, Bb/F, A/E, and G/D) by Jan 1:

Okay, I'm a little dense, being a new Iphone user, but...

Could you provide a simplified keyboard chart? I'm sure there's a logic here, but I don't see it.

Okay, I'm a little dense, being a new Iphone user, but...

Could you provide a simplified keyboard chart? I'm sure there's a logic here, but I don't see it.

With the exception of where I had to put the push/pull G# on the right, it is <exactly> the same as my Carrol C/G modified Jeffries layout which has an additional push/pull C# on the right side.

I've had several people have the same confusion at first, but then they have an "Aha!" moment when they realize that its exactly the same as the real instrument, there is nothing mysterious or non-standard here... :-)

Hopefully, if you go through the following exercise everything will become absolutely clear:

Assuming you have a 30 key Anglo instrument put it on your lap with the right side buttons down on your lap so you are looking at the left side buttons, with the handrest to the left. The handrest should be parallel to your legs, and the buttons to the right of the handrest with the highest pitch buttons closest to you.

To simplify things, looking down at the buttons, with the handrest to the left, lets consider only the push notes for the rows:

B C E Low

D G A

G C C#

B E A

D G G# High

Take those 15 keys and discard the top accidental row (farthest to your right away from the handrest).

B C Low

D G

G C

B E

D G High

Now you have 10 left. Discard the lowest pitched buttons (will be the farthest from you) of the two remaining rows.

D G Low

G C

B E

D G High

The 8 buttons you have left are the 8 buttons on the left side of the Concertina app.

OK, now flip the instrument over so that the left side buttons are on your lap and the right side buttons are facing up, with the handrest on the right parallel to your legs and the lowest pitch buttons closest to you.

Here's the pitches for the push notes on my instrument looking down at the buttons with the handrest to the right:

A E B High

C# C G

G# G D

C# E B

C# C G Low

Now discard the two highest pitched buttons of each row (farthest away from you). The 9 buttons remaining on those three rows correspond to the right side of the Concertina app:

G# G D High

C# E B

C# C G Low

The only difference on the right side from the real instrument is that I've put a first octave G# on the pull of the 3rd row G#, that note would normally be a second octave Bb, and I really wanted some way to provide that lower G#, so it made sense to share it with the high G# button.

So putting it all together, here's the note guide for the app, with both the push and pull notes shown (Push/Pull):

4222948466_4eac840a5d_o.jpg

This guide can be brought up in the app at any time by pressing the "?" icon at the bottom of the screen.

When you play the app, you hold the device between your hands so that the index fingers overlay the closest buttons to you on each side, exactly as they would on the real instrument. You can use the same fingerings you use for the real instrument.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make this any clearer. :-)

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by eskin

Hi Michael

We bought an iPod Touch for our grandson and we downloaded the concertina c'g this morning ( cost 59 p Stirling) Very easy to locate we just typed in concertina and got it just like that. Little Harriett (16 months) loved it, she likes pushing the buttons on my concertina and knew what it was when I played a tune on the iPod. She got some notes out of it and laughed and said Tina! She'll be playing Bah Bah BlackSheep by next week

Edited by michael sam wild