Final graphics for the "Concertina" iPhone/iPod Touch app

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprise! Here's the demo showing the final graphics for the app, should be available in 4 keys (C/G, Bb/F, A/E, and G/D) by Jan 1:

I don't think I understand the button layout, but I'm sure there is a good reason behind it. Regardless,

WAY COOL!!! (And a nice sound too)

Dana

Surprise! Here's the demo showing the final graphics for the app, should be available in 4 keys (C/G, Bb/F, A/E, and G/D) by Jan 1:

I don't think I understand the button layout, but I'm sure there is a good reason behind it. Regardless,

WAY COOL!!! (And a nice sound too)

Dana

Dana,

Here's a diagram showing my 30-key modified Jeffries instrument's layout (dual push/pull C# on right) then the iPhone app layout:

4196832037_6081761c8c_o.gif

Now take the bottom layout and put the left buttons on the left side of the iPhone, the right buttons on the right side of the iPhone:

4187142444_2199e17fee_o.jpg

If you already play an Anglo, it is <exactly> the same as a real instrument, and if you don't, learning to play the app will be a great start toward the real instrument since the fingerings are completely transferable.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by eskin

Now that version 1.0 of the Concertina app series is in review with Apple and with any luck should be on the iTunes App Store in a few weeks, I'm setting to work on the 1.1 update that will come out in mid to late January.

The biggest change will be the addition of multiple "skins" for the instrument, as well as other features to help newer players.

Here's three of the skins I'm testing that almost definitely will be in the update. The two wood designs in Redwood and Birdseye Maple were designed by my graduate student friend and fellow Irish flute player, Janelle Shane. These three and at least one more, (I'd really like a black lacquer skin), will be in the final update.

4205678754_d1db7d4910_o.jpg

4205678782_834eb49ba1_o.jpg

4205678816_c0379d7a02_o.jpg

This and all future updates to the Concertina app series will of course be free, you will be notified by iTunes when an update is available for download.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by eskin

Can't wait to get my hands on it, Michael. The new skins looks great!

Since you're already working on an upgrade...

The pull/push direction on the current version makes sense if you're using your right hand to work the bellows on your real concertina: push - you tilt the right side of the iPhone/Touch forward, pull - you tilt it backwards. However, I'm using my left hand and I could imagine that the current setup might be a bit counter-intuitive for "lefties". Do you think the pull/push direction could be made a user option? :)

The pull/push direction on the current version makes sense if you're using your right hand to work the bellows on your real concertina: push - you tilt the right side of the iPhone/Touch forward, pull - you tilt it backwards. However, I'm using my left hand and I could imagine that the current setup might be a bit counter-intuitive for "lefties". Do you think the pull/push direction could be made a user option? :)

Now that I re-read your comment, no you don't tilt it forward and back, i.e. away and toward you, you tilt it to the left or right by lowering one hand and/or raising the other. A tilt down on the right is a bellows pull, a tilt down on the left is a bellows push... The threshold for the switch over point can be set from very wide to extremely sensitive.

Now that I re-read your comment, no you don't tilt it forward and back, i.e. away and toward you, you tilt it to the left or right by lowering one hand and/or raising the other. A tilt down on the right is a bellows pull, a tilt down on the left is a bellows push... The threshold for the switch over point can be set from very wide to extremely sensitive.

Thanks for clarifying that, it wasn't quite clear in the videos. But I would still associate the upward movement of the hand with the push, the downward movement with the pull, ie. the right hand does the push/pull in your version. But maybe it's just me being difficult... it usually is... :P

Jileha, thanks for the suggestion. I've added a new version 1.1 feature just for you (and all the other left-pulling concertina players)... :-)

I added a bellows direction switch to the options, labeled "Bellows Pull Tilt Direction":

4206834077_749d5c0c02_o.jpg

You can choose between tilting the device down on the left or the right to represent a bellow pull.

I even reverse the on-screen indicators, here's the display during a pull in the right-handed configuration (the right side of the iPhone is lowered):

4206853485_ce607906d1_o.jpg

and here's the display during a pull in the left-handed configuration (the left side of the iPhone is lowered):

4206834167_bee9772d48_o.jpg

Again, thanks for the suggestion!

Michael

Edited by eskin

Jileha, thanks for the suggestion. I've added a new version 1.1 feature just for you (and all the other left-pulling concertina players)... :-)

Again, thanks for the suggestion!

Michael

Boy, you're fast! :)

Thanks!!!

How hard would it be to re-map the buttons, lose the bellows direction and do an English concertina skin and keep the other half of the concertina community happy too?

I'd pay for the fun of it, and I might go over to the dark side too and try the Anglo versions out as well. Likewise some Anglo players might get converted.

Simon