Easy tunes we all know but never thought to play.

Simon H

One of the great things of learning to play is suddenly realising you can play some tunes directly without needing to laboriously learn them. Tunes that you know so well that they just fall to your fingers when you pick up the instrument.

I believe such tunes are great for getting out of a learning rut as the gratification is swift.

I think it would be great to share some of these as sometimes it can be so hard to think of a new tune to play.

So as a Christmas present to each other, lets share a few of those tunes we all know already but never thought to play. ABC's welcome, if not available - first couple of notes and key would be great. Or just the title.

Here's my contribution to start us off.

Camptown races Key D first notes A A A F# http://www.stephenfoster.info/abc/camptownraces.html?key=D&t=0

Greensleeves Key G first notes E G A B http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1598

Looking forwards to playing your contributions

Simon

National anthems are good, most of people have in their minds the national anthem of their countries. And some anthems from other countries. I like these ones:

- The Spanish: From my country, it is a march.

- The French: I've tried to play this a good few times but there are a few notes that I don't get.

- The American

- The English

- The Slovakian (I heard once this one and I will always remember it)

- The Russian

I live in Ireland, I can recognize the Irish anthem, but I cannot think of it myself, doesn't seem to stick to my memory.

Edited by fernando

One reply 133 views. I thought this would be fun for Christmas for us each to share some corny old favourites and have some easy familiar tunes to play to friends and family.

Never mind. I'll know next time.

Thank you Fernando for your contribution I've already had great fun with the American Anthem.

Edited by Simon H

...I thought this would be fun for Christmas for us each to share some corny old favourites and have some easy familiar tunes to play to friends and family.

Never mind. I'll know next time.

Patience dear boy, patience. Some of us are still doing our shopping! ;)

Here's a few seasonal ones that come to mind....

Jingle bells

Silent night

Stop the cavalry (for the Brits)

In the bleak midwinter

Oh come all ye faithful

Auld lang syne

O Tannenbaum / Oh Christmas Tree / The Red Flag

The 12 days of Christmas

I saw thee ships come sailing in on Christmas day...

Merry Xmas Everybody (Slade - for the Brits again & I think more complicated than the others)

I'm dreaming of a white Xmas

All right, here goes:

Songs for Christmas:

• Away in a Manger
  • O Little Town of Bethlehem
  • We Wish you a Merry Christmas

Other Songs

•  
  • Leaving of Liverpool
  • Where have all the Flowers Gone
  • When Irish Eyes are Smiling

I surprised myself with the last. I was helping my wife with a little feature on WWI soldiers' songs for our local U3A and I came across a song called "When Very Lights are Shining" which was clearly a parody of "Irish Eyes" so I wondered if I could accompany myself on my concertina and to my surprise I found I knew the tune well enough to give it a go.

Geoff