Repertoires

I'm a bit like Alan, it's mainly dictated by what activity and who I'm currently playin with so it's 'pushing the envelope' a lot.

My personal playing involves a lot of Irish music which I'm doing on Anglo having played it on other instruments for many years. recently started playing chords and playing and working on singing accompaniment so revisiting British tunes and songs and the popular songs of my early days which are coming back increasingly! I was 70 on Sunday so that could account for it! As it's carol singing time here in South Yorkshire i'm trying all those fugueing parts we sing in the pubs , all on my own , I enjoy it anyway :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey. Don't you think repertoire includes anything you play half competently, whether with or without dots? If you have to memorise it I'm short on music too.

well, it depends on who you ask. if you play by music, then i think it would make sense for you to include in your repertoire. i don't really play off music... i can sight read pretty well, but always play by memory.

Given that licence;

several classical keyboard pieces from all eras.

a few arrangements of orchestral classics; several the ICA Stanley ones, but also a few piano arrangements that I've perverted

a few jazz era classics

All these are played off written arrangements which I follow closely and take a long time to get by heart because of it. I don't hesitate to get the music out if I want to play them for people, although I also think you play the piece better when you finally reach the stage where the music becomes unnecessary.

Then I can offer

Londonderry hornpipe, Bluebell polka, Iron Duke, Hunt the Hare and a few others that have taken my fancy over the years. Not necessarily in G though...

I have hours and hours of music. Irish, European, classics and classical, standards and show,tango, bolero, etc. My favorites are Edith Piaf and many of the tunes written in the same period here in the US, by Earl Hagan for one. I have a lot of Fritz Kreisler I transcribed as well as some Joplin. and oh yes... anything by Nino Rota.

rss

Randy,

Have you recorded any of this? Really you must make some of your vast rep. audible in a format we can hear. The Matueswitch legacy is under represented here and you are the one to bring it alive. If you want any help I would be glad to assist. PM me if you like.

I have hours and hours of music. Irish, European, classics and classical, standards and show,tango, bolero, etc. My favorites are Edith Piaf and many of the tunes written in the same period here in the US, by Earl Hagan for one. I have a lot of Fritz Kreisler I transcribed as well as some Joplin. and oh yes... anything by Nino Rota.

rss

Randy,

Have you recorded any of this? Really you must make some of your vast rep. audible in a format we can hear. The Matueswitch legacy is under represented here and you are the one to bring it alive. If you want any help I would be glad to assist. PM me if you like.

Well done Jody, I agree Randy your playing and style must be recorded for future generations to hear.

NNY Some nice ones in amongst your selection.

This is rather like looking at someone's record/CD collection you can almost tell the personality,history of a person by their music.

Al

I can appreciate that accomplished players don't need lists and probably don't even need to learn tunes, but can play a tune instantly as soon as they've heard it.

Unlikely. Few of my friends are "accomplished" musicians - professional piano players and teachers, bayan player. They have a few show-off pieces, few they are working on, few more or less OK and the rest they can improvise on the spot or read off the score. Improvising and reading is very different from their show-off repertoire. Sure they can play instant, but not anything, far from anything. My bayan teacher picked up Piazzola and tried to play it off the list - nope. It took him 3-5 years to get into the style, familiarize himself with the melodies and harmonies.

So the list of pieces to play is in his bayan case. He is also singing (Oy-Vey, that singing biggrin.gif)

Well, I started playing anglo in 2003, and mostly played simple folk tunes: Northumbrian, American, English, Irish, etc. I became interested in playing more ambitious music, harmonized waltzes, ragtime, etc., so switched to duet in 2007. I have a rather small repetoire, a good portion of which is on YouTube. I've added a cakewalk, a few simple choral-hymn type tunes, a ragtime waltz, and a Bach solo violin piece. Some tunes I can play melody-only: several old-time, some Irish, a few random "ethnic" tunes (Tex-Mex, Swedish, Polish, whatever), some of which I'll harmonize eventually. I want to learn some more "novelty" tunes, some early jazz, and Eastern European / Klezmer tunes, as well as more ragtime, waltzes, and the like.

I have an aversion to playing from sheet music, but I can't remember my arrangements unless I write them down. So I memorize them as I practice them. Each arrangement is usually pretty set, with only a few melodic or accompaniment variations I may or may not throw in. It takes me a long time for me to work up a fully-arranged piece, but it's getting a bit quicker.

Here's a related question: what have folks here not heard played on concertina, but would like to hear done? Especially in a fully-fleshed-out duet concertina arrangement.

Edited by Boney

Here's a related question: what have folks here not heard played on concertina, but would like to hear done? Especially in a fully-fleshed-out duet concertina arrangement.

Well its not folk music...but what about

Madness-Baggy Trousers (

)

the theme tune to Rosie & Jim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxnrAi5y5JU)

Magic Roundabout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFHyA0oCXGU)

Mostly French sea shanties and sea songs just now, because that's the only place I play my concertina these days:

Trois matelots du port de Brest

Fanny de Lanninon

Les Bateliers

Chantons pour passer le temps

Allez les marins

Loguivy de la mer

La femme du Président

Tacoma

La Danaë

Le Forban

Y a dix marins sur mer

Les filles de Lorient

Quinze marins sur le bahut du mort

Pique la baleine

L'harmonica

Santiano

Le 31 du mois d'août

John Kanak

Vire au cabestan

Jean-François de Nantes

Hourra les filles à dix deniers

Which I think is not bad for a year. :)

Well, I started playing anglo in 2003, and mostly played simple folk tunes: Northumbrian, American, English, Irish, etc. I became interested in playing more ambitious music, harmonized waltzes, ragtime, etc., so switched to duet in 2006. I have a rather small repetoire, a good portion of which is on YouTube. I've added a cakewalk, a few simple choral-hymn type tunes, a ragtime waltz, and a Bach solo violin piece. Some tunes I can play melody-only: several old-time, some Irish, a few random "ethnic" tunes (Tex-Mex, Swedish, Polish, whatever), some of which I'll harmonize eventually. I want to learn some more "novelty" tunes, some early jazz, and Eastern European / Klezmer tunes, as well as more ragtime, waltzes, and the like.

I have an aversion to playing from sheet music, but I can't remember my arrangements unless I write them down. So I memorize them as I practice them. Each arrangement is usually pretty set, with only a few melodic or accompaniment variations I may or may not throw in. It takes me a long time for me to work up a fully-arranged piece, but it's getting a bit quicker.

hi Boney

Just found that Baby Elephant Walk, made my day! The grandkids think it's fabulous especially as she wears pink, it's a little girl thang.

Mike

Well, I started playing anglo in 2003, and mostly played simple folk tunes: Northumbrian, American, English, Irish, etc. I became interested in playing more ambitious music, harmonized waltzes, ragtime, etc., so switched to duet in 2007. I have a rather small repetoire, a good portion of which is on YouTube. I've added a cakewalk, a few simple choral-hymn type tunes, a ragtime waltz, and a Bach solo violin piece. Some tunes I can play melody-only: several old-time, some Irish, a few random "ethnic" tunes (Tex-Mex, Swedish, Polish, whatever), some of which I'll harmonize eventually. I want to learn some more "novelty" tunes, some early jazz, and Eastern European / Klezmer tunes, as well as more ragtime, waltzes, and the like.

Have a look at 'Live and Let Die' if you want a different new tune. I think it's got some mileage; I come back to it regularly but it's never quite made it onto the 'Serious' practice list. Or 'Goldfinger', sticking with a theme.

(And yes, Pete, American Patrol shows promise; I'd also spotted that one.)

American Patrol would be interesting.

Yep, it's a tune I know, and I think it would work well. Haven't I heard an old recording of this done quite well on duet before? Another march I've thought of doing is The Liberty Bell, which is even more fun because of its association with Monty Python.

Well its not folk music...but what about

Madness-Baggy Trousers (

)

the theme tune to Rosie & Jim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxnrAi5y5JU)

Magic Roundabout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFHyA0oCXGU)

I do like Madness...wow, it'd be hard to pull it off on concertina, though. Maybe "One Step Beyond" would work better? I've never seen or heard those two shows, and I'm sure most of the charm in the music is in having it when you were young. In that vein, as I said in another thread, I have started (barely) working on Super Mario Brothers. And maybe I'll work up a simple Trumpet Hornpipe (Captain Pugwash) someday.

Goodness, I guess I do like the silly and fun aspect of music, and the concertina does seem to suit that admirably.

Have a look at 'Live and Let Die' if you want a different new tune. I think it's got some mileage; I come back to it regularly but it's never quite made it onto the 'Serious' practice list. Or 'Goldfinger', sticking with a theme.

Not a bad idea. I do quite like "Live and Let Die." And maybe the James Bond title theme would work too, I hadn't thought of that...wow, that'd be fun!

I've also thought of learning The Charleston. It's pretty challenging, actually, but I think I can fit quite a satisfactory version on 46 buttons. More fingers would help, though.

Just found that Baby Elephant Walk, made my day! The grandkids think it's fabulous especially as she wears pink, it's a little girl thang.

Thanks! Della & I did a little skit over the summer with the same costume (and a cute grey mouse gal too), and the wee ones just ate it up. They stared at her with big eyes and wanted to talk to her and touch her. Too cute!

'Live and Let Die' quite appropriate for Dirge.... :lol:

I think I can probably claim to have the smallest ruportoor of anyone here, but (in keeping with dirgey type stuff I hope to learn) wot are these numbers /dots under the main toon line?

I think u may have to control ++ to see them in this tiny pic. OOPS - no! Just click on it B)

Up to end of line one it fits plain old 20-butt Anglo quite nicely.

Edited by Kautilya

Should I take it as my motto do you think?

(I think you may have found guitar tablature there by the way; not much use to you, just use the notes)

Should I take it as my motto do you think?

(I think you may have found guitar tablature there by the way; not much use to you, just use the notes)

dirge irae, dirge Illus would be classier and more Happy Reaper! (Or grimDge Reaper..)

Do you have a photo of this guitar table instrument? Would be interesting to try playing one....

The notes are ok as I can work them out - just wondered if those numbers were chords which could work too on tina... the numbers are placed on the stave as though indicating a note on the scale with the length on the flat line, tho it does seem a bit esra super titum :lol:

We are in the danger zone (0130) and could be left on our own boring each other (as per usual) if we keep this conversation up.

pps - I did try to get someone (last summer in the Yorkshire Alpine pastures) with a monster bass tina, interested in playing dies irae plain chant version but they gave up after five minutes... but do u reckon it is a goer? It sounds like a piece for the massed tina concert at the Albert Hall which no one is interested in ;)

Here's the score - some nice slidey notes for fancy boxes with oval headed metal buttons :ph34r:

I shall try it tomorrow so I dont risk waking up the cows in the barn.

Nmad - wont load - I will put up in separate post

Edited by Kautilya

dies irae

of course that first coupla notes pic is defnitlee esra supra t. but..... and, after clicking on pic, this time may need control + + + to see it clearly.

There are more possibles here and of course they are all in C

http://interletras.com/canticum/Eng/translation_deceased.html

Edited by Kautilya

Do you have a photo of this guitar table instrument? Would be interesting to try playing one....

It's a notation to allow guitarists to sidestep learning normal music, that's all. The six lines represent the strings , the numbers are the fret on the string that it's written on. I didn't look hard because it's not my province either, but I don't think you are missing anything, just the same info repeated in a different language, as it were.