Soft vs hard cases

This is an ancient topic, but I am looking for additional input.

Hard cases protect fine concertinas from getting crushed, but it seems to me they provide little protection when the case is dropped, or banged into doorways because you're carrying too much stuff, etc. My best hard case has almost no padding, and it seems to me that every time I bang the case into things, it transmits the shock to the instrument

Soft cases with lots of padding do provide that protection, but don't protect the instrument against damage in overhead airline bins, people stepping on them, etc.

I have a high-quality soft case that has rigid but not very thick plastic inserts, as well as lots of foam padding. I wouldn't take it on an airplane, but for toting around Morris gigs, it seems to me it provides the kind of protection most needed -- against jolts.

Opinions?

I've been using the same hard case for over 25 years - it's in the background of my avatar. It has protected my EC very well, through numerous transatlantic flights, transcontinental camping trips, pub sessions, etc. The instrument is firmly held between velvet-covered blocks so it cannot shift. The hard black shell is mottled with an imitation leather pattern, and the edges and corners are nicely rounded. I believe I got it from Hobgoblin in London, but I haven't seen anything like it recent years.

I think it depends on what type of accident you're planning on having! :o

I've got a hard case for my Norman, but with m old Jones I had a high quality soft case which fitted into a large hard case. I had the best of both world's most of the time, but had the option of just going with the soft case at a moment's notice. Should I decide to replace my hard case at some time I think I'll go for this option again - though it can mean extra faffing around getting the instrument in and out. If the soft case is well engineered I would be happy to go round with one of those unless somebody decides to stand on, or drive a car over my Anglo! :ph34r:

I think it depends on what type of accident you're planning on having! :o

That's exactly the issue! I've never run my concertina over with a car. I'm a klutz, and I've banged the case into numerous obstacles. So the issue: probability wise, which case is a better risk for the types of hazards I tend to encounter.

And no, I'd never put even a reinforced soft case into an airline overhead bin. Seems to me the answer might be different cases for different situations.

Another issue connected with the hard case vs soft case debate is the importance of keeping the concertina bellows snugly closed shut when not in use.

Instruments which are habitually stored with their bellows partly open may develop a 'set' in the bellows at that storage position, which may then result in slightly increased resistance on the push when passing through the 'set' point. This is annoying at best, and at worst can lead to a loss of bellows efficiency.

Ideally a hard case should have internal blocks tailored to the instrument to keep the bellows closed. Not all hard cases meet this requirement but suitably placed padding can help. A soft, gig-bag type case rarely keeps the bellows shut unless it is a really snug fit, but then the issue becomes getting the instrument in and out (especially out) of the case without putting undue strain on the bellows and maybe the hand/thumb straps.

Because of this, my personal opinion is for a hard case every time. I've made a couple of concertina cases and melodeon cases too, and I ensure that as well as snug internal blocks to keep the bellows closed, I also use a minimum of 10mm foam and polyester padding covered by plush fabric lining on all the internal surfaces. This not only looks nice but it also provides a shock-absorbing function.

I've also seen hard concertina cases carried inside a tailor-made soft gig bag with a shoulder strap. This would seem to be combine the best features of both ideas.

I've got a hard case but it's too big so the concertina is additionally padded with some bubblewrap. Maybe that's better than having a hard case that fits?

When I'm travelling on trains or at festivals, however, I use a softcase with a shoulder strap because I'm paranoid about leaving it behind.

Richard

I've always used a hard case. In more than 30 years of amateur and semi-professional playing, at folk clubs, morris tours, sessions and festivals, these must have taken their fair share of knocks but the instruments have never suffered any damage (I can't always say the same for the doors, tables or people they've bumped into). I was certainly glad all my instruments were in hard cases when some idiot rear-ended my car a few years ago on my way back from a festival.

I suspect if an impact is serious enough to cause damage then the amount of padding a gig bag provides is unlikely to make a significant difference. The hard case certainly provides more protection when it's packed into the car along with all the other instruments and bits of gear I seem to carry around to gigs. If it's properly fitted then the instrument won't be able to rattle around inside the case, which is how damage is most likely to occur.

I carry two concertinas together in a custom-made double case with a shoulder strap, which has the added advantage that I can sit on it (albeit uncomfortably, as the strap brackets are in an awkward place :blink:) if I arrive late at a crowded session and there are no chairs left.

I will occasionally use a padded backpack for my melodeon, but only for ease of carrying at festivals where I know there is going to be a lot of walking around. Otherwise that too is invariably in its hard case (as are all my other instruments).

Indeed, it depends on the kind of accident.

I have one case that is very hard on the outside. If it falls ( :blink: as it did for two times when :ph34r: somebody else :ph34r: insisted to carry the instruments for me :(). What to say if you see nice people want to help you - letting your concertina run away downhill the concrete floor for 10 meters, it appeared that one or two reeds had escaped from their slots. That is not very convenient if people expect you to play it 10 minutes later. The best part of the story is that no real damage was done to the concertina. It must be the small amount of soft tissue on the inside of the case.

If a concertina falls, a better remedy is a soft buffer on the outside.

A hard case inside this buffer may protect against postal package pressure, driving cars, tanks etcetera.

A soft buffer inside the case helps to keep the instrument in place without getting the shocks that the hard part of the case suffers.

I've taken a sort of hybrid approach for storing and transporting concertinas. I have both "single" and "double" hard sided, internally blocked-and-lined cases that work well for home storage and secure protection against reasonable bumps and knocks when traveling. I've never dropped a concertina but expect that in such an event (drop from a low table top, for example) either case would likely protect the instruments from outer visible physical damage but I wouldn't expect it to guarantee against internal damage or reed blocks getting knocked loose within their slots.

The down side of such cases is that by their nature they are larger than the instrument they contain and their size becomes an issue with me for travel. Not so much if one is headed out to a pub or a friend's for the evening, but much more so when traveling by air and trying to minimize luggage. In recent years I've spent many months making weekly airline trips for work-related reasons and wanted to transport concertina, computer and adequate clothing in a manner such that I could avoid the need to "check" a bag.

I made a few trips with a concertina in a "hard" case but found it very inconvenient. I finally elected to purchase an inexpensive soft-sided and lightly padded "gig bag" and use that. For air travel I'd put a concertina in the gig bag and then place the bag in my soft-sided carry-on travel luggage with clothing nested around it. One might call that "two layers" of protection.

While staying in a hotel I left the concertina in the gig bag and figured that it essentially offered scratch protection and minor bump protection, but had no illusions as to what the effect of a "drop" in a gig bag might be. If I took it outside the hotel I usually folded and rolled a towel inside the gig bag to pad the circumference and then put the concertina inside that. The gig bag is sized a little "large" for the concertina so it has the space available.

I considered the issue of keeping the bellows tightly closed while the instrument was in the gig bag and came up with a simple, effective and inexpensive solution. I went to my local hardware store and purchased a soft velcro strap that could be trimmed to a desired length. It is narrow enough that it will fit between the hand (or palm) bar and the closest row of buttons, so I wrap one complete loop around the concertina the "long" way across both ends to hold the bellows fully shut. I should clarify that I don't "cinch" the strap to close the bellows; rather I make sure the bellows are tightly shut and then simply lock the velcro strap in place with all slack removed.

I've no doubt that a solidly constructed and properly lined and blocked hard case offers the most protection against a broad range of possible bumps, whacks and other trauma, but I believe my bag, towel and strap approach offers adequate protection for my travel needs and wouldn't feel terribly disadvantaged if I didn't have the hard cases too. One needs to be cautious of where they place an instrument and how they travel with it regardless of the case used.

I've also seen hard concertina cases carried inside a tailor-made soft gig bag with a shoulder strap. This would seem to be combine the best features of both ideas.

I have one of these purchased from the Music room some years ago. They are very useful for participating in processions where you find you have nowhere to leave your case except at the start end of the procession, so these bags let you play in the procession and carry the case with the shoulder strap. however, it is now wearing out and the Music room do not stock them now. Does anyone know another source for a replacement?

- John Wild

I think it is important to consider just what risks of damage you actually face, in the situations where you're carrying your instruments. It's easy to get carried away and to try to provide a bomb-proof level of protection which is usually unnecessary. I expect we're all very careful with our instruments, and in most circumstances both a soft case or a hard case should provide adequate protection.

There's no single answer. In my case (no pun intended), the biggest risk to my instruments is from other gear shifting in the back of the car so a hard case is the answer, but in other circumstances such as Bruce's a soft bag may be the more suitable option. You might want different cases for different circumstances.