Concertinas at auction

Alex West

I don't know how many were watching the musical instrument auction at Gardiner Houlgate on Friday - there was a Lachenal 20 button Anglo, a Lachenal English and a Wheatstone English, all of which went within the auctioneer's estimate.

The stars of the show were the two unrestored 30 button C Jeffries Anglos. One was bone buttoned, the other had metal buttons. The keys and pitch could not be determined as both instruments were unplayable. The ends of the bone buttoned box were glued down so the reeds could not be inspected.

The bone buttoned box went for a hammer price of £3,300 and the steel buttoned box for £4,800, so that's a cost including buyers premium and VAT of £3,869 and £5,628 respectively.

Nice Christmas presents for somebody? Especially the vendors

Alex West

The stars of the show were the two unrestored 30 button C Jeffries Anglos. One was bone buttoned, the other had metal buttons. The keys and pitch could not be determined as both instruments were unplayable. The ends of the bone buttoned box were glued down so the reeds could not be inspected.

The bone buttoned box went for a hammer price of £3,300 and the steel buttoned box for £4,800, so that's a cost including buyers premium and VAT of £3,869 and £5,628 respectively.

Nice Christmas presents for somebody? Especially the vendors

Alex West

Blimey! Some people will pay anything to get their hands on a Jeffries. Those are ridiculous sums of money for unrestored concertinas, in my opinion.

Chris

Only two days ago I received my brand new Suttner A4 Jeffries copy with ebony ends. I has an incredible sound, plays like the devil, is as tight as a nut and cost over a third less than one of those old bangers...

Edited by conzertino

I don't know how many were watching the musical instrument auction at Gardiner Houlgate on Friday - there was a Lachenal 20 button Anglo, a Lachenal English and a Wheatstone English, all of which went within the auctioneer's estimate.

Gardiner Houlgate is pretty close to us so we quite often go along to their musical instrument auctions. So far I've bought a collection of recorders of various sizes and a "marching band" bass drum for the Morris. We missed this one, though. Usually the bidding for the top name concertinas (when they have them) is between someone phoning in (almost always Chris Algar) and the auctioneer, proxy bidding for someone in Ireland. Can be quite exciting.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson