Lost and Stolen

Hi there.

I think it would be worthwhile to have a permanent topic. "Lost and Stolen".

This thought has been prompted by the theft of a 32 Key Jeffries this week in the west country.

With a link to the Facebook Stolen Instrument group.

Hopefully it would never be used, but, if someone had a box nicked, It could be useful.

Just a thought

Ralphie

• Like 1

Hi Ralph

Does the list on the bottom right of the main page of concertina.net count? :unsure:

http://www.concertina.net/

Thanks

Leo

Leo - speaking for myself, I had no idea that list was hidden away there in the basement depths . And I have to say that's because firstly I hardly ever go into the main page of concertina.net ... and , secondly, nor would I have scrolled right down to the bottom unless I had reason to - most of the information is in date order - most recent at the top. In which case there is no reason or impetus to go scrolling all the way down. Looking at the information provided there, I have to say it isn't all that illuminating. Some of those postings have no dates to them - there are no photographs, and to be frank, it's hardly to the fore on the page. I think I'd be inclined to second Ralphie's suggestion/request on this one - easy to find, more immediate to search, and also updateable by individual posters.

To clarify, we will probably add a pinned Lost/Stolen thread, but I am going to keep it closed so that additions or revisions need to come through Paul or me. Long-timers here can guess why; you are a thoughtful, chatty, and sympathetic bunch, so individual advice and sympathy should probably go on ordinary threads. Otherwise the pinned thread will soon look like the main C.net page and will provoke the same criticisms. While that keeps owners from easily revising their information, if they let us know we can do it pretty easily and I think you'll agree only a terse, to-the-point thread is going to help here.

I regret the noted shortcomings of the list on the home page, but in these cases we posted what we were given, and the great length of that page was clearly not there when we set it up. Until you have run a site like this, you might be surprised how fast essential to-do items pile up and how fast pages grow. I will put a link at the top of that page to jump there. We do what we can folks and will do the best we can, but at some point you get what you pay for, and we do rely on you to poke around a bit. The static pages contain a lot of good information and merit a look. It's like a library, you need to dig for information, or ask the librarian (as you did here on the forums) where to find something. Thanks.

Ken

To clarify, we will probably add a pinned Lost/Stolen thread, but I am going to keep it closed so that additions or revisions need to come through Paul or me. Long-timers here can guess why; you are a thoughtful, chatty, and sympathetic bunch, so individual advice and sympathy should probably go on ordinary threads. Otherwise the pinned thread will soon look like the main C.net page and will provoke the same criticisms. While that keeps owners from easily revising their information, if they let us know we can do it pretty easily and I think you'll agree only a terse, to-the-point thread is going to help here.

I regret the noted shortcomings of the list on the home page, but in these cases we posted what we were given, and the great length of that page was clearly not there when we set it up. Until you have run a site like this, you might be surprised how fast essential to-do items pile up and how fast pages grow. I will put a link at the top of that page to jump there. We do what we can folks and will do the best we can, but at some point you get what you pay for, and we do rely on you to poke around a bit. The static pages contain a lot of good information and merit a look. It's like a library, you need to dig for information, or ask the librarian (as you did here on the forums) where to find something. Thanks.

Ken

Thanks for your comments Ken, and for that part of them which clearly results from some of the comments that I made. (Also speed of response!) I can well imagine things mount up pretty quickly for you . I'm none too sure from your comments whether mine were construed as being critical. If so, my apologies - totally unintentional, merely statement of observation. I've done my fair share of poking around some of the informative links on the main page in the past, but in the light of the numerous items comprising the contents it's obviously a bit of a serendipitous experience - hence I suspect the reason why I'd never seen the listings of stolen items before Leo mentioned them . The idea of a link at the head of the page sounds like a pretty good idea to me (as does the rest of it). Thanks for your efforts. :)