Who are playing predominantly Irish music on EC?

I was told that Madeline O'Dowd won the All Irish Concertina Championships on an English Concertina.

I phoned Madeline to discuss whether she was still playing or if she had any recordings of herself playing,sadly "no" was the answer to both questions. We were absolutely dreadful about recording these old artists for future generations, Many were just taken for granted that they would always be around if required , but this is not the case. One thing about Utube and MP3s is that more players are recording themselves and much more information and recordings of artists are available.

Al

I was told that Madeline O'Dowd won the All Irish Concertina Championships on an English Concertina.

I phoned Madeline to discuss whether she was still playing or if she had any recordings of herself playing,sadly "no" was the answer to both questions. We were absolutely dreadful about recording these old artists for future generations, Many were just taken for granted that they would always be around if required , but this is not the case. One thing about Utube and MP3s is that more players are recording themselves and much more information and recordings of artists are available.

Al

And I believe she played a Scates

chris

Al

And I believe she played a Scates :D

chris

I phoned Madeline to discuss whether she was still playing or if she had any recordings of herself playing,sadly "no" was the answer to both questions.

Toireasa Breathnach says here that there is some footage....

I phoned Madeline to discuss whether she was still playing or if she had any recordings of herself playing,sadly "no" was the answer to both questions.

Toireasa Breathnach says here that there is some footage....

I notice this person is banned.

It is only Dick Miles who said he has seen her play.

Al

I have added to my list (see initial post - as suggested by Peter), and there are now 29 people on the list. I am sure there must be some more, so I will keep on adding as new names come along. It is interesting to note that players from the US make up almost half the list.

I would have loved to add Madeline O'Dowd, but if she does not play anymore...... :( She would have been the first Irish player on the list!

If somebody finds recordings of her I would be most interested to hear them!

Edited by chiton1

Hello All, This is my first post on this forum. I play Irish music on English concertina. I think it works great as long as you play within your abilities. I suffer when reels are played at a fast speed. Otherwise, I play jigs, polkas, hornpipes, slides, slip-jigs, marches and airs with style depending on the tune. I try to find a piece that speaks to me and to play it at a speed where I think the tune sings its story. Thus far my problem with reels is finding a piece that will share its story with me. Now I am in Bozeman, Montana and there is one other person here who is starting on Anglo. And I know of at least 2 anglo players 100 miles away. Otherwise that is it. During the summers an individual from Chicago comes out with an English concertina. He takes lessons from John Williams and has mastered some fine reels. I do not enjoy playing ornaments because I like the melodys-oh sometimes I cut and drone and chord a bit, but usually on marches and slow modal jigs that can handle it. When playing in a band I play the most basic melody I can and let the fiddle or flute do the decorations. It is clean and the audience can pick up on the subtle bits if only one person is doing it. Well I am running on. I am enjoying these discussions! Eric in Montana

I have heard from Dick Miles regarding Madeline O'Dowd.

He kindly informs me that she appeared on a Television programme in Ireland called "Come West along the Road" presented by Nicholas Carolan.

I also understand from Dick that Nicholas Carolan is in charge of music archives in Ireland and it might be possible to obtain a copy of this recording from him, if anyone knows this person. Too late now for English International of course, but it would be lovely to hear her play and the style in which she played.

Thank you Dick for this useful information !

I understand that there are strict rules regarding recording at the All Ireland Championships ,but do the organisers take a recording ? I am still thinking about any Marion Gill recordings,she took part in this event with her family.

Al

I have heard from Dick Miles regarding Madeline O'Dowd.

He kindly informs me that she appeared on a Television programme in Ireland called "Come West along the Road" presented by Nicholas Carolan.

I also understand from Dick that Nicholas Carolan is in charge of music archives in Ireland and it might be possible to obtain a copy of this recording from him, if anyone knows this person. Too late now for English International of course, but it would be lovely to hear her play and the style in which she played.

Thank you Dick for this useful information !

I understand that there are strict rules regarding recording at the All Ireland Championships ,but do the organisers take a recording ? I am still thinking about any Marion Gill recordings,she took part in this event with her family.

Al

they did not used to make recordings, but nowadays they do. however, they only release bits and pieces in compilations or special programs: http://comhaltas.ie/music/tag/Fleadh .

Hello All, This is my first post on this forum. I play Irish music on English concertina. I think it works great as long as you play within your abilities. I suffer when reels are played at a fast speed. Otherwise, I play jigs, polkas, hornpipes, slides, slip-jigs, marches and airs with style depending on the tune. I try to find a piece that speaks to me and to play it at a speed where I think the tune sings its story. Thus far my problem with reels is finding a piece that will share its story with me. Now I am in Bozeman, Montana and there is one other person here who is starting on Anglo. And I know of at least 2 anglo players 100 miles away. Otherwise that is it. During the summers an individual from Chicago comes out with an English concertina. He takes lessons from John Williams and has mastered some fine reels. I do not enjoy playing ornaments because I like the melodys-oh sometimes I cut and drone and chord a bit, but usually on marches and slow modal jigs that can handle it. When playing in a band I play the most basic melody I can and let the fiddle or flute do the decorations. It is clean and the audience can pick up on the subtle bits if only one person is doing it. Well I am running on. I am enjoying these discussions! Eric in Montana

Welcome to conc net Eric. I can't imagine living so far from other players so I'm sure this forum is a valuable community.

Yours

Mike in Sheffield , South Yorkshire

I have added to my list (see initial post - as suggested by Peter), and there are now 29 people on the list. I am sure there must be some more, so I will keep on adding as new names come along. It is interesting to note that players from the US make up almost half the list.

I would have loved to add Madeline O'Dowd, but if she does not play anymore...... :( She would have been the first Irish player on the list!

If somebody finds recordings of her I would be most interested to hear them!

Count me in. Jim Norman. NYC. Tuesday nights at Dempsey's on 2nd Ave.

• Like 1

Just a small notice that I have added three names to the list (32 now). Eric Hardy from France, Jim Norman from the USA, and Val from the UK. I know that Val is playing Irish music because I met her in Paris a few years ago. I emailed her to know her family name. For the moment I have added the name of the group she is playing in (The Flying Toads, sort of almost anagram of the Irish hornpipe The Flowing Tide).

See first post for total list!

• 4 years later...