Could Have Knocked Me Down With A Feather

Went to sit in on a session without instruments last night. They are of a very high standard, so went for a listen to re-charge the batteries and renew the enthusiasm.

Well guess what?

An irish man playing an english concertina in an irish session :huh:

I have seen him before playing concertina......but.....because at the time I didn't play concertina I never really noticed which system he played.

Weird or what?

I never got the chance to ask him why english over anglo.......especially with him being irish.

So I am asking if you have seen any similar unusual/unexpected sightings on your travels. :blink:

Sharron

Ah, you have hit a nerve here. Being an English player, I've been asked that question a number of times. Comes down to this for me: It's all how your mind works. The English system fits the way I think. As a kid I played anglo (even took lessons, go figure). It wasn't until an English dropped my hands that it worked. Like a duck to water?

I'm wacky for Irish tunes. One simply has to articulate them with a little extra bounce that an Anglo gives naturally. It also behooves an English player to employ the bellows as it would be presented with the voice (breath). Over the years I've only run into a couple of folks who had a major problem with the "English Scourge" being pulled out of it's case. After a couple a tunes, an abundance of "English Concertina jokes and a pint or to (my treat) everyone was all smiles.

English Concertina Joke:

How do you know when the stage is level?

The fella playin' English has drool comin' out both sides a his mouth!

English Concertina Joke:

How do you know when the stage is level?

The fella playin' English has drool comin' out both sides a his mouth!

Doesn't work with an anglo, of course, 'cause they keep reversin' an' suckin' it back in. B)

Well guess what?

An irish man playing an english concertina in an irish session :huh:

Weird or what?

So I am asking if you have seen any similar unusual/unexpected sightings on your travels. :blink:

Sharron

Hi Sharron,

Recently I was at the Scandinavian Squeeze-in and the best Irish tunes (IMHO) were played on English concertina's by Jonathan and Henrik. I guess it will take me a few more years to approach this level on my anglo.

Jonathan writes about his playing Irish on an English in this message.

Henrik did wonderful things on his tiny Stagi. At first sight it looks as a toy, or (when the bellows are fully pulled) a musical caterpillar :lol: , but in the hands of Henrik it becomes great instrument for Irish music ;) .