Interesting Photo

Dave Lawton

My Dad found this picture in his Garage which is full of old books. It was part of a page of London street performers. We only have one page which has some interesting photo's and commentary. Due to damage, the page was the only remnant of the book that was saved, so I can't check copyright or source.

Dave

post-6826-12597952085775_thumb.jpeg

Dad just found the piece of paper he had written the book details on…

"Wonderful London - a book of photos". Edited by StJohn Adcock, published

about 1924

Edited by lawton_dave

My Dad found this picture in his Garage which is full of old books. It was part of a page of London street performers. We only have one page which has some interesting photo's and commentary. Due to damage, the page was the only remnant of the book that was saved, so I can't check copyright or source.

Dave

Some more shots from the same page….

post-6826-12598929033568_thumb.jpeg

post-6826-1259892937065_thumb.jpg

Edited by lawton_dave

Dave

Collecting for charity I guess. Too well-dressed to be begging ?

Judging by the car seen in the background, which looks like it may be an Austin 12/4 low loader taxi cab, and the clothes the people are wearing, I would date the photo to somewhere around the early 1930's. I wonder where in London was taken?

Chris

Hi Chris….

Dad just found the paper on which he wrote down the books details…

about 1924

I tended to agree with you about the date by the car in the background… until now. I wonder what kind of car it is? Not being an expert on 1920 cars myself …

Dave

Judging by the car seen in the background, which looks like it may be an Austin 12/4 low loader taxi cab, and the clothes the people are wearing, I would date the photo to somewhere around the early 1930's. I wonder where in London was taken?

Chris

Hi Chris….

Dad just found the paper on which he wrote down the books details…

about 1924

I tended to agree with you about the date by the car in the background… until now. I wonder what kind of car it is? Not being an expert on 1920 cars myself …

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for that. Well, only ten years out! My first thought was that the photo dated from the mid 1920's. I should have stuck with that. I have since done some research on Austin taxis and while the low loader does date from the early 1930's, the car featured in the picture is definitely not a low loader, comparing it with a photo of one I found. The rear passenger section on the low loader has a pram-type hood that can be folded back when it's warm and not raining. The car in your photo, doesn't.

Chris