"Concertina" - Anglo Concertina for the iPhone/iPod Touch

Here's my follow on to 3QuarterSet...

"Concertina" is a very high quality Anglo Concertina for the iPhone and iPod Touch (2nd Generation).

http://www.tradlessons.com/ConcertinaApp.html

To play, simply tip to the left for a bellows push note, or to the right for a bellows pull note, and press a button. The PUSH/PULL display shows which direction the bellows is going.

You may reverse the bellows while pushing a button simply by tipping in the opposite direction.

Multiple buttons may be pressed at the same time to play chords.

Learning mode (touch the '?' icon) shows the note names for each button when pushed or pulled.

Adjust the tilt sensitivity and volume on the settings page.

The button layout is based on a 16-key modified Jeffries style for playing traditional Irish dance tunes in the most common keys.

Uses extremely high-quality audio samples recorded from a high-end Anglo C/G concertina.

Just submitted to the iTunes App Store for review, when available it will be $0.99.

After a while practicing with the app, it really starts to feel like playing the real thing. This will be a great way to expose people to the instrument and will create, I hope, a whole generation of people able to play Anglo and looking to buy real instruments.

post-760-12596828135523_thumb.jpg

post-760-12596828221537_thumb.jpg

post-760-12596828289708_thumb.jpg

post-760-12598546437608_thumb.jpg

post-760-12598546580435_thumb.jpg

post-760-12598546716094_thumb.jpg

Edited by eskin

Looks very cool. I'll pony up $0.99 for it.

So what's next? iBodhrán?

Sleep is what is next. Once I had the idea, there was no stopping until it was reality. :-)

hear hear! i can't wait for the app, myself. i'm going to get a lot of practice in away from home, now. i'm excited.

Those who get this, please let us know what you think. I have neither of the gadgets required but may get an iPod touch just so I can use this application...!

Don't forget you will be able to use tunebook too:

Tunebook is fantastic!

I cannot agree more. I love Tunebook.

Interestingly, I'm still learning how best to play the app, and it is absolutely possible to play holding the iPhone with the screen pointing away from you primarily supported by your right thumb and ring finger and pressed against the top of your left palm. The touch zones are large enough and you have enough anchor points to quite reliably hit the button spots on the screen. I'm starting to get the sense that, wow, this is actually possible. Until now, I've been holding it with the iPhone screen pointing up, but it actually feels more natural pointing away from you once you get the muscle memory for the buttons even though you can't see the screen...

I think the major difference between this and a real instrument will be speed, you can't play the app as fast as a real instrument, the accelerometer based bellow switching just can't be done as fast as a physical bellows, there are essentially no volume dynamics, and fast ornaments just aren't in the cards. It's a fun toy and the best (well, the only) Anglo concertina you can get for $0.99... :-)

Edited by eskin

I think the major difference between this and a real instrument will be speed....

Does it have an air button? ;)

It's a fun toy and the best (well, the only) Anglo concertina you can get for $0.99... :-)

I wonder if this meets Misha's requirements for an inexpensive entry-level "concertina". I think the price is within his parameters, IF you already own an iPod. Not so sure if you have to include the price of the iPod itself. :unsure: