Should have left the case open....

Yesterday my wife participated in her first harp recital, with 26 other harpists in Orlando. My daughter and I came along early for her dress rehearsal, and is my habit I brought the Anglo along to kill time.

My daughter was not happy to just sit on the tailgate for my usual venue, and wanted to walk over to Lake Eola Park, which is as downtown as you can get in Orlando and is sort of a little yuppie island in this Florida city.

So we find a place where we can watch the Black Swans, and I get Precious out. It wasn't 5 minutes before someone comes along and drops change at my feet. OK, I am facing the lake and not the path, and dressed a little fancy for the recital, but whatever. I say to him, "Thanks, but keep the change, I am just playing for the pleasure of it". He lays a compliment on me, and says he thought it was worth it, and thanks as he picks the change up.

A few minutes later someone comes along and wants a picture taken with me. Pretty fun.

After awhile we went back to the church where the recital is going to take place, and I take my usual place on the tailgate to play a little more. In a few minutes some folks come out and give me the stink-eye (as my daughter put it). Apparently they could hear me from the parking lot across the road and the up-tight lead harpist thought I was intruding on the rehearsal. I would never have thought it would carry that far.

Anyway, a strange and interesting concertina afternoon.

NNY

Edited by NoNaYet

So, I have to ask the question ... who was putting on this recital? It's a strange thing but I played a bit of harp in college. My ex-fiance (a long time ago) is now in the Orlando area and teaching harp there. We've had a bit of correspondence recently since I decided to take the harp up again, in additon to my concertina and melodeion activities. I'd hope that she wasn't involved in causing you any issues.

Curious how these things happen.

Apparently they could hear me from the parking lot across the road and the up-tight lead harpist thought I was intruding on the rehearsal. I would never have thought it would carry that far.

Concertinae are generally louder than harps...especially outdoors.

Apparently they could hear me from the parking lot across the road and the up-tight lead harpist thought I was intruding on the rehearsal. I would never have thought it would carry that far.

Is the concertina a competitor to the triangle then? . . .

"A single stroke on the triangle clearly penetrates the full force of an orchestra"

I always thought the mandolin could do that too.

Tom

OK, let me clarify; from the parking lot, across the road, across the grounds, up to the second floor of the church, and through the brick walls.

NNY

OK, let me clarify; from the parking lot, across the road, across the grounds, up to the second floor of the church, and through the brick walls.

NNY

Yikes...that IS a respectable distance, I'd think.