Dipper Anglos

Hi to all! Quick question here: I'm sure some of the more experienced amongst us have had the opportunity to listen to both the wooden ended and the silver ended Dipper concertinas, and maybe even perchance, have had the good fortune to have played them as well. Any comments on these two creatures; which did you prefer?

Thanks, Alan.

Long (i.e. two years) after placing my order, I got to try both for the first time and they both sounded great to my ears. The difference was subtle to me. I concluded I could be very happy either way. Too bad, as I had already contacted Colin to change my order from metal to wood. This change is the reason given me why I'm still waiting at 4.3 years, though I'm sure there's more to it than that (all you folks demanding repairs yesterday etc. - grin). My advice is choose what you want and really try to stick with it, so he doesn't set aside a partially built one (as he did for me) when you change your mind!

Mine is being made for Morris so I want loud. Colin recommended a wooden ended one.
Very interesting. That goes against conventional wisdom (metal = louder, brighter; wood = mellower), doesn't it?

Yeah, but how often do they let Morris teams into a convent? ;)

Edited by JimLucas

I have a metal-ended Jeffries. found in bits and rebuilt as new by Dipper - strident tone, fast action, lovely french polishing, new bellows, just the job.

Edited by geoffwright

Curiouser & curiouser, that Colin would recommend a wooden ended. My Dipper had the wooden ends for the "mellow" sound, against the "brighter" sound of my metal ended Jeffries.

I must ask John Townley about his.

Che

ers,

Geo

Mine is being made for Morris so I want loud.Colin recommended a wooden ended one.
My Dipper had the wooden ends for the "mellow" sound, against the "brighter" sound of my metal ended Jeffries.

"Mellow" and "bright" aren't the same as "quiet" and "loud". Maybe Colin knows how to make wooden-ended instruments loud.

In fact, I would expect that there would be much more latitude for variation in the contstruction of a wooden end to accomplish different acoustic purposes.

Yeah, but how often do they let Morris teams into a convent?
I don't know, but I'd love to be there when they do!

Well, it's not actually a convent, but the Greenwich Morris Men (NYC version, not Brit version) has danced at a theological seminary. And then the seminary formed its own Morris Team.

I have both a Jeffries 28 button anglo and a wooden-ended Dipper of 2002 production. The Dipper is clearly louder than the Jeffries which is quite bright itself.

I have also played several other Dippers -- including a 2003 raised wooden-ended model. My personal experience is that the metal ended Dippers are generally older ones. This may be just happenstance or it may reflect a conscious shift by Colin to wooden-ended instruments in search of a certain sound. The metal-ended Dippers I played were a bit harsh for my ear -- even though having had a number of years to mellow. All the wooden-ended ones I have heard sound very nice. The raised-end one was brand-spanking new and had a sweet tone. Both I and its owner expect its tone will richen as it breaks in.

FWIW, my recommendation would be to get a wooden-ended model unless heavy commercial use would dictate that you get the metal-ended model instead.

Ross

I dare say, had R2D2 been built from a subtle mix of veneers with ebony inlay he (she/it) would still not look as good as my Dipper baritone, but would nevertheless look a whole lot better than it (she/he) does now.

(George) Lucas, please note.

Chris