It's getting boring Scam!

Paul Read

Maybe it is getting boring .... can't help but notice that at least 7 out of the 17 threads on my first page for this buy/sell forum are related to Scams, scams, scams ...

A useful service, perhaps, but it can be taken too far?

Do you suggest not reporting them until after a couple of days perhaps?

Maybe it is getting boring .... can't help but notice that at least 7 out of the 17 threads on my first page for this buy/sell forum are related to Scams, scams, scams ...

What about having a single Topic/thread for reporting all (future) scams?

If you use the "View New Content" link (is there anyone who doesn't?), then it will let you know whenever there's a new post in that Topic, and the new-content button (the little one just to the left of a Topic name when there's unread content) will take you right to the posts that are new.

If there are multiple scams at one time, they can be kept sorted by having each post about an already-announced scam be initiated by using the "Reply" button of the first post for that scam. That will quote that first post (if you like, you can edit out most -- but not all -- of it to save space). Then the header of the quote (the part in color) in the new post will have a "snapback" button (at its very left), which will take you directly to the quoted post, so that you will know which scam the later post was referring to.

Another advantage to the single-thread proposal is that (IF everyone uses it) a person intending to post a notice about a scam should be able to see before they start (because they'll be looking at the "one and only" thread) whether someone else has already posted about it.

Comments?

I like Jim's idea, so I am reporting the latest scam here, a 40-button Wheatstone here, probably a hijacked eBay account.

Now-familiar scam image as follows:

19506704.jpg

What about having a single Topic/thread for reporting all (future) scams?

If you use the "View New Content" link (is there anyone who doesn't?), then it will let you know whenever there's a new post in that Topic, and the new-content button (the little one just to the left of a Topic name when there's unread content) will take you right to the posts that are new.

If there are multiple scams at one time, they can be kept sorted by having each post about an already-announced scam be initiated by using the "Reply" button of the first post for that scam. That will quote that first post (if you like, you can edit out most -- but not all -- of it to save space). Then the header of the quote (the part in color) in the new post will have a "snapback" button (at its very left), which will take you directly to the quoted post, so that you will know which scam the later post was referring to.

Another advantage to the single-thread proposal is that (IF everyone uses it) a person intending to post a notice about a scam should be able to see before they start (because they'll be looking at the "one and only" thread) whether someone else has already posted about it.

Comments?

• Like 1

I think I'd leave it up to the more active members to decide what's best but I think the scam reporting thing has a disproportionate effect here. The number of scammers is prob. quite small in overall terms. Why let them dominate the agenda? Though if I was thinking of bidding on an instrument, I'd like to be able to check any avenues I could to verify that it was legit. Isn't that what's called, having your cake and eating it? :) I suppose it's a question of where you store the cake.

Edited by tombilly

• 4 weeks later...

And another: Scam Wheatstone This one is definitely a scam.

Having never used Ebay for anything, I'm curious what for you is the dead giveaway on this one. Aside from the noxious bit about "having the money", I don't see what makes this one a definite scam -

For one, I know the photos from the original sale but also the bit at the end about contacting an external e-mail address and buy-it-now are give-aways. This was a better attempt than the recent ones though.

For one, I know the photos from the original sale but also the bit at the end about contacting an external e-mail address and buy-it-now are give-aways. This was a better attempt than the recent ones though.

Plus the fact it was a short listing - 1 day in this case.

I spotted another today. I have decided just to report it to ebay in future because they seem to have got their act together and they are gone by the time people go to look. It doesn't mean the scams have stopped though.......so be careful out there..... :rolleyes: