Auction On 17Th November 2009

PeterT

Re the Crane and the description 'by Mozart company' , any info would be welcome. I was offered and Anglo 'made by them' in Ireland but didn't know anything about them and it was beat up so I couldn't tell if it was OK. The guy also said it was a Shakespeare model.

I got confused . Did I miss a good 'un?

Edited by michael sam wild

I believe that Stephen Chambers once told me that the Mozart concertinas were made by Shakespeare -- but that conversation was over 25 years ago, so I might be mistaken.

Re the Crane and the description 'by Mozart company' , any info would be welcome. I was offered and Anglo 'made by them' in Ireland but didn't know anything about them and it was beat up so I couldn't tell if it was OK. The guy also said it was a Shakespeare model.

I believe that Stephen Chambers once told me that the Mozart concertinas were made by Shakespeare -- but that conversation was over 25 years ago, so I might be mistaken.

That's right, indeed apart from the fact that the workmanship is obviously the same, they're usually stamped "Maker T.S." alongside the "MOZART & Co." - which is a bit of a giveaway! :rolleyes:

There have been a couple of previous threads that may be of interest: T Shakespeare What is known about this maker? and Shakespeare - One Or Two? History of makers

What is the real street value of a 48b or 50b Shakespeare Crane?

I suppose the simple answer is "whatever someone is willing to pay for one". So at the moment, £620.

Has anyone on here ever squeezed one? If they have, they might be in a position to say "higher" or "too much!"

There is another shakespeare crane (50b) at hobgoblin. There is a remarkable big difference between the shop (2500) and the auction price (620) . There may be some work on the 48b, but that doesn't need 1900 pound I suppose.

What is the real street value of a 48b or 50b Shakespeare Crane?

A typical 48b Crane (Lachenal, Wheatstone, etc), in good playing condition (but not an Aeola or anything special like that), sells at prices around about £900 to £1200, say, in private/dealer transactions. (Though maybe with the weak pound foreign demand can push prices up a bit.) But in general £620+buyers premium for one that, so far as we can tell, needs doing up is not necessarily specially cheap, even though it was sold at a little known auction house at a remote location where you might expect to get the occasional bargain.

Now we expect things at shop-based retailers to cost rather more than the above prices, perhaps 50% more even. As far as I can see the 50b has its two extra buttons on the right hand, so is therefore limited to the standard 20b (C to G) on the left hand, in contrast to a 55 button which is usually 30+25, giving you the full two octaves in the right hand. So I can't see it is worth any special premium over a 48b unless it is a concertina of very special playing quality. So I don't know why Hobgoblin think they might get £2500 for it.