And This One

Paul Read

Interesting that this guy's id is nutcocoa and Chris Algar's is cocoa111. Could this be a deliberate similarity to confuse the unwary?

Meanwhile, I'd say posting an item to an auction site and stating in big flashing letters that he won't actually auction it indicates a certain amount of chutzpah. Well, it could be stupidity...

jdms

Interesting that this guy's id is nutcocoa and Chris Algar's is cocoa111. Could this be a deliberate similarity to confuse the unwary?

Meanwhile, I'd say posting an item to an auction site and stating in big flashing letters that he won't actually auction it indicates a certain amount of chutzpah. Well, it could be stupidity...

jdms

I know I have suggested it before but I will suggest it again -- it would be good if the offending ebay details and photo are cut and pasted into our warning messages or we don't know what they were as they are deleted by the time the warning has gone out.....

I copied their (nutcocoa) ebay details page, pasted into word doc, saved it and then tried to attach the (167kb) file below but it refused sayin this upload failed... aaagggghhhh! can't work out why ... B)

Edited by Kautilya

jdms

I know I have suggested it before but I will suggest it again -- it would be good if the offending ebay details and photo are cut and pasted into our warning messages or we don't know what they were as they are deleted by the time the warning has gone out.....

I copied their (nutcocoa) ebay details page, pasted into word doc, saved it and then tried to attach the (167kb) file below but it refused sayin this upload failed... aaagggghhhh! can't work out why ... B)

You can't attach word files. Too much possibility of spreading a virus/trojan. It should only be done as a small heavily compressed image... I have limited hard drive space on the server so it's best to keep this in mind and keep attachments as small and efficient as possible, especially in cases like this where image quality is definitely not a concern.

Thanks,

Paul

You can't attach word files. Too much possibility of spreading a virus/trojan. It should only be done as a small heavily compressed image... I have limited hard drive space on the server so it's best to keep this in mind and keep attachments as small and efficient as possible, especially in cases like this where image quality is definitely not a concern.

I would suggest that if you want to do this, you should put the images, etc. on a separate site. If you don't have your own web site, maybe somebody can point you to an appropriate share-your-stuff site?) Then you can link to it in a post.

And if you want a project, you could construct and maintain one or more web pages for tracking scams and their (hopefully brief) histories. :D

jdms

Thanks,

Paul

ah! Understood. Tho I find it won't allow .jpg pic either Paul?

Jim - sounds like u are the expert for that project! :D :D

Tho I find it won't allow .jpg pic either Paul?

Jim - sounds like u are the expert for that project! :D :D

Moi?

That's about the limit of my French, but let me see if I can get it to work.

Well, I tried the "Click To Attach Files" button, and everything seemed to work just fine. But then it displayed the file name with the message "This upload failed". Hmm.
:(

Well, a little lower is a link, labelled "Try switching to our basic uploader", so I clicked on that. That took me to my "General Settings" page. Nothing useful there, except a tab that says "Manage Attachments", so I clicked on that. And it showed me all the attachments I've uploaded over time, but the one I just tried to upload wasn't there, so apparently the upload did fail. But also not there was any way to switch to a different uploader. Oops!

Paul, your turn, I'm afraid.
:unsure:

Jim, you may have used all your file space allocation. I believe their is a limit per member.

Don't think so.

My "Manage Attachments" page tells me,

"You have used 3.48MB of 4.88MB

You have 58 attachments (71% used)"

And here under this composition panel it says,

"Used 0bytes of your 4.39MB global upload quota (Max. single file size: 4MB)"

Aside from the disagreement between the two reports, the file I'm uploading is 98 Kb, so well below my limit, regardless of which of those numbers is correct. And didn't Paul say that he has just upped everyone's quota? This is my first upload attempt since he said that.

Once again I tried uploading that file, with the same result. The upload seems to proceed just fine; it indicates that it's finished, waits several seconds, and then changes the green background of the status field to "red" (pink, actually) and displays the message "This upload failed". So it seems to me that there's something "rotten", and it's not here in Denmark. ;)

Jim, you may have used all your file space allocation. I believe their is a limit per member.

Don't think so.

My "Manage Attachments" page tells me,

"You have used 3.48MB of 4.88MB

You have 58 attachments (71% used)"

And here under this composition panel it says,

"Used 0bytes of your 4.39MB global upload quota (Max. single file size: 4MB)"

Aside from the disagreement between the two reports, the file I'm uploading is 98 Kb, so well below my limit, regardless of which of those numbers is correct. And didn't Paul say that he has just upped everyone's quota? This is my first upload attempt since he said that.

Once again I tried uploading that file, with the same result. The upload seems to proceed just fine; it indicates that it's finished, waits several seconds, and then changes the green background of the status field to "red" (pink, actually) and displays the message "This upload failed". So it seems to me that there's something "rotten", and it's not here in Denmark. ;)

NOt a rotten Danish without raisins, maybe just a bridge too far - our efforts are perhaps dangling somewhere between the Øresundsbroen, the Öresundsbron or Øresundsbron B) and my upload box standing is way below that allocated by God (not Theo) :ph34r:

[quote name='Kautilya' date='09 November 2009 - 05:55 AM' timestamp='1257764113'

Doesn't like .png screen grab either, but this time it showed me a nice rising number till it hit my file size of 207k ;)

CONCERTINA ANGLO WHEATSTONE.png

This upload failed

I was trying to upload this Dublin Wheatstone ... ebay 170403647973

[quote name='Kautilya' date='09 November 2009 - 05:55 AM' timestamp='1257764113'

Doesn't like .png screen grab either, but this time

Paul, perhaps it's a bug. Just tried uploading same file on another forum (I did not post as they will think I have gone more mad than I am....) and it went up fine. It was the png green scrab file. :unsure:

Edited by Kautilya

Paul, perhaps it's a bug. Just tried uploading same file on another forum and it went up fine. It was the png screen grab file.

Edited by Kautilya

Doesn't like .png screen grab either, but this time

Paul, perhaps it's a bug. Just tried uploading same file on another forum (I did not post as they will think I have gone more mad than I am....) and it went up fine. It was the png green scrab file. :unsure:

UH OH! Something weird here!

Just now viewing the post I'm replying to (#12 in this thread), it does not have a bar along the bottom with "+" and "-" buttons, though all the other posts in the thread do, including #13.

So I started to compose this post to point out the anomaly, and I notice that in the 10 most recent posts displayed below this composition window, all the posts below the second one (that same #12) are indented so that their left margins line up with the left-hand boundary of the outer quote box in post #12.

Ir looks like that post has been corrupted in a way that confuses various display modules. Whether that is in any way related the upload attempt, probably only the Invision developers can tell.

EGAD!!! I just did a Preview Post, and my text appears twice, both inside a quote box (which surrounds the other quotes) with Kautilya's name on it, and then outside the box. Returning to the composition window, where I'm typing this, my text most definitely appears only once, and after the last closing quote tag. BUT... the quote tags are messed up. One of the opening tags is missing its closing bracket. Is the display engine not catching that this is an error, and then running off the rails when it tries to follow the garbled instructions?

In any case, I'm not correcting that anomaly in the quote that's included in this Reply. It will be interesting to see what happens. B)

How do you edit in this new system?

Pretty much the same as in the old system:

If it's your own post, there's an Edit button to click on.

You then get the quick editor, but I choose to click then on the "Full Editor" button, and then I get all the icons for inserting formatting control tags.