Mr Beveridge's Maggot

RatFace

Lovely tune , lovely playing thanks. Oliver Sacks in Musicophilia(2008) uses the earworm or brainworm analogy for a tune that bores its way in like a maggot in an apple.p 44 et seq.(I'm not convinced)

It sounds as if Sacks is using the non-musical definition of "maggot" to create an analogy or a new usage, not even close to giving a definition or explanation of the word "maggot" as used in the names of tunes centuries before he was born.

Lovely tune , lovely playing thanks. Oliver Sacks in Musicophilia(2008) uses the earworm or brainworm analogy for a tune that bores its way in like a maggot in an apple.p 44 et seq.(I'm not convinced)

It sounds as if Sacks is using the non-musical definition of "maggot" to create an analogy or a new usage, not even close to giving a definition or explanation of the word "maggot" as used in the names of tunes centuries before he was born.

I don't know if this definition from AnswerBag adds clarity or just more confusion ....

(edited to korect a tyo)

Edited by Steve Mansfield

I don't know if this definition from AnswerBag adds clarity or just more confusion ....

Interesting.

And weren't parasitic infections much more common in those days? So there might even have been some truth to it.

Dunno about Swift's contention that a hexagonal bite produces poetry, though. More likely a mechanical innovation. Happened to CW, and look what we got. :D