Tedrow Bb/F 30 button concertina

ben

The case is indeed Greg Jowaisas' handiwork. It is luxuriously padded and blocked in a very sturdy box. The concertina fits snugly in the case. The extra compartment allows you to store CD's, keys etc. I have at least four cases from Greg and the prices range from just over $140.00 to $240.00 depending on the size and extra features you want to add. He even builds double cases so that you can carry two concertinas around to sessions.

In the event you need a custom made case...you can PM Greg Jowaisas on this forum in the "members" search at the top right hand of the screen. His personal email address is: gjowaisas@insightbb.com.

Thanks Mikea, I did not know that it was a copyrighted word. I assumed that it was a word related to the octagonal shape.

Paul Schwartz was kind enough to help me delete the word "Aeola".

Edited by Ben

The name Aeola is a wheatstone trade mark so please do not fall foul of any trade description laws when describing any box other than a wheatstone.

The name was originally Æola, but I see that Steve Dickinson, current owner of the Wheatstone name, now spells it Aeola on his web site. I don't know whether there are any technical subtleties of trademark law that would matter, but I know that legal decisions have hinged on even finer distinctions in other fields.

Still, if one avoids using the name (spelled either way) to describe anything but a real Wheatstone, there should be no trouble.

I did not know that it was a copyrighted word.

Copyright and trademark are not the same thing. They're covered by different laws, at least in the US... but I'm pretty sure in most countries.

Jim,isn't that spelling the same simply with the A & E merged in one version or is it a separate letter ?

Could it be that the web designer doesn't know how to merge them.............How do you do it, anyway :)

Æ: Alt-146

æ: Alt-145

Jim,isn't that spelling the same simply with the A & E merged in one version or is it a separate letter ?

Could it be that the web designer doesn't know how to merge them.............How do you do it, anyway :)

In Danish it's a separate letter... and it's right here on my keyboard. :D

In Danish "Ae" is generally considered an acceptable equivalent for "Æ", though there are exceptions, especially in names. But the reverse is not generally true. I.e., there are occurrences of "Ae" for which it is not valid to substitute "Æ". Danish also has as separate letters the vowels "Ø" and "Å".

But in English, particularly 19th century English, I don't know whether "Æ" was considered to be distinct, or just a compact version of "Ae". I think it was an affectation meant to imitate something in Greek or Latin usage, definitely not taken from Danish.

If you don't have a Danish keyboard (and you probably don't ;)), then under windows you can get special characters by entering a 4-digit sequence while holding down the ALT key. Capital Æ is alt-0198, and small æ is alt-0230. You can also select and copy them from the Character Map utility (under Programs/Accessories/System Tools), but I won't try to tell you where to find it, because the location seems to vary with the version of Windows. Concertina.net members who use Macs or Linux should be able to tell you how to do it under those operating systems.

Capital Æ is alt-0198, and small æ is alt-0230.

Interesting!

It's always been my understanding that Windows required 4-digit codes (though the first digit seems always to be 0) to get characters using the Alt key. And Leonard, your codes don't work for me. In fact, my browser seems to be interpreting them as commands of some sort, shifting me to previously opened pages.

Capital Æ is alt-0198, and small æ is alt-0230.

Interesting!

It's always been my understanding that Windows required 4-digit codes (though the first digit seems always to be 0) to get characters using the Alt key. And Leonard, your codes don't work for me. In fact, my browser seems to be interpreting them as commands of some sort, shifting me to previously opened pages.

In Old English AE was a separate letter. Some of the pre-Norman Conquest kings had names beginning with it such as Aethelred the Unready and Aethelstan.