juliettedaum.com

tzirtzi

Thanks for this Alan, and all those who have made it available online.

I've looked through it without concertina in hand and I'm equally wide-eyed and terrified by the whole thing. I can tell immediately that my music-reading skills are no match for all this lovely music, and my concertina playing skills aren't particularly close either. The exercises look daunting but extremely useful. I'm hoping that if I can master the exercises, then the music will follow.

How nice it is to pick up music which is beyond my own skills, but doesn't completely scare me off. The challenge now is to get myself to the point as a player where I can play the music and the exercises. How lovely that would be. A long way off, though, I think.

As a suggestion, it would be nice to have clearer versions of the scans that were already available. Perhaps Alan could photograph the rest of the book so that all the images are of equal quality.

I wonder, also, if the book from which the exercises (and preludes before them, maybe) have been extracted is available in full? I wonder what else is in it? Maybe an introduction, and other useful tips and tricks? Perhaps Jeremy has it in the ICA archives?

Thanks for your comments.

I am happy to photograph the early pages again if the general feeling is that the quality of photos reproduction is better than the previous scanned ones. With the photography I can use the various tools available to make the image lighter and cropped to size.

Certainly you have enough to work on Symon.

I rather like the page that gives explanations to musical terms. We have had many a discussion here on such matters.

Al

Yes, more than enough! I currently play simple melody lines for folk tunes, so classical music and music of the complexity found in the book is very much ahead of me at the moment. But, having heard Gordon Cutty, I'm intrigued and eager to learn how to play in that style. I'm assuming this is similar to how Gordon played (in technique if not exact content).

Edited by symon

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. Alan has sent me the missing pages and I've zipped them and made them available from our website: http://www.concertina.org/ica/index.php/news/37-spotted/161-the-concertina-book-of-music.

Should I zip the first part from http://www.juliettedaum.com/concertina.html as well?

Thanks, Alan.

I think you should, so the whole book is available.

Just sending you the last thirty or so pages for completion.

Not all of this site are members of the ICA Ruediger so please carry on putting it up on your site.

Many thanks for the prompt action from you both.

Please let me know everyone if you find the pages interesting

Al

ok, upload is now complete. There are 2 sets of files: On http://www.ruediger-asche.de/jdbook/ , there is a collection of 54 pages of tunes, and on http://www.ruediger-asche.de/jdbook/book2/ there are 28 pages of excercises, scales and so forth. Please let me know if anything is missing, but I don't hink so (Alan has strictly numbered the files consecutively).

I'll also try to get a single file version done asap; it's not that hard, but I'm behind schedule in my other tasks, so it may take a while.

Thanks again,

RAc

just in case anybody is still using this: I need to make some space on my account, so I'll delete the directory soon. Please let me know anybody if there's a problem.

Thanks!

Hello everyone. Alan has sent me the missing pages and I've zipped them and made them available from our website: http://www.concertina.org/ica/index.php/news/37-spotted/161-the-concertina-book-of-music.

Should I zip the first part from http://www.juliettedaum.com/concertina.html as well?

Thanks, Alan.

I think you should, so the whole book is available.

Just sending you the last thirty or so pages for completion.

Not all of this site are members of the ICA Ruediger so please carry on putting it up on your site.

Many thanks for the prompt action from you both.

Please let me know everyone if you find the pages interesting

Al

ok, upload is now complete. There are 2 sets of files: On http://www.ruediger-asche.de/jdbook/ , there is a collection of 54 pages of tunes, and on http://www.ruediger-asche.de/jdbook/book2/ there are 28 pages of excercises, scales and so forth. Please let me know if anything is missing, but I don't hink so (Alan has strictly numbered the files consecutively).

I'll also try to get a single file version done asap; it's not that hard, but I'm behind schedule in my other tasks, so it may take a while.

Thanks again,

RAc

just in case anybody is still using this: I need to make some space on my account, so I'll delete the directory soon. Please let me know anybody if there's a problem.

Thanks!

If needs be I have tons of space so could host them off my personal web site.

David

There are a few library sites tailored for putting publications online

http://www.archive.org/ is one. Click the Upload button on the top right for more information. One of our members has some music there under his own name. Shouldn't be too difficult to find permanent storage space.

Thanks

Leo

Alan thanks for your work and the of RAc as this is of interest and now that I have downloaded it will rotate the pages and start looking into it with interest as the wife has been playing a few of the tunes from the first download and the exercises will help both of us and the music will be wonderful to see how it comes along. Once we have things going better will give more feed back.

Michael

• 1 month later...

The exercise pages have finally started to prove their worth. I'm trying to learn to play in a more harmonised style (which translates into playing more than one note at a time). The starting point is learning to play in sixths and tenths. The exercises here give harmonised scales like that (and eighths as well if I remember correctly). So, last night, was the first time I practised using the exercises from the book. My fingers ache, my head hurts and I feel like I have gone back to being a complete incompetent on the EC again. Luckily, I know that practice, practice and more practice will change this (well, that's what I'm telling myself).

So, thank you for the scans. They are very useful.

The exercise pages have finally started to prove their worth. I'm trying to learn to play in a more harmonised style (which translates into playing more than one note at a time). The starting point is learning to play in sixths and tenths. The exercises here give harmonised scales like that (and eighths as well if I remember correctly). So, last night, was the first time I practised using the exercises from the book. My fingers ache, my head hurts and I feel like I have gone back to being a complete incompetent on the EC again. Luckily, I know that practice, practice and more practice will change this (well, that's what I'm telling myself).

So, thank you for the scans. They are very useful.

Thanks for the feed back Symon.I am pleased I did not waste my time. Looking at the exercises there is no doubt that in time it will make you (or anyone else) a better player.

It is like all big projects, it is the starting of them that are sometimes more difficult than the project.

Your mood will change to excitement in a few weeks.

Al

• 6 months later...

Alan,

I am been extremely busy with life and family so have not even known that the last pages had ben finished. First thanks to all who helped with this. Second I will be down loading the pages tomorrow and having a look at them. The first section was most useful so I don't see why it should not continue to get better as a training tool as well.

Take care and have a great day.

Michael

• 9 years later...

After all this time the ICA have informed me that the download they have is incomplete .

I checked this out and indeed they were missing the last 70 pages, which included Prince Alberts tune written for Victoria.

I can now confirm that the ICA have now received these missing pages and they will be updating the book in their archives. 

Please note that this book has been put together by Mr Hayman as his favourite concertina pieces of music , practice scales etc. and some of the listed music is not included.

Al