First Book

Hey there I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I need to know the best first book the get for playing a 20 button anglo concertina.

I have had mine for a few months now and can play some songs. I realy want to learn some proper technique and most importantly of all I want to know my chords and be able to play the bass lines along with the melody.

What book or video or whatnot would you all recomend for me??

What sort of music do you want to play? Most of the tutors are angled towards a particular style.

The Concertina FAQ (see the sig block) has a section listing available tutors.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

There is a really nice tutor by a fellow cnet member Alan Day. You can download the sheet music from this site Alan's Site And e-mail Alan for a copy of the CD. It has really helped me with learning how to do the "left hand" stuff.

edited for spad belling

Edited by Lisa Wirth

For Irish Style, Frank Edgley's Book and CD "The Anglo Concertina - Handbook of Tunes and Methods for Irish Traditional Music" ranks up there among the best. Although written for the 30 button, there are many many tunes that can be played on the 20 button, and almost all the technique taught is relevant to the 20 button. Frank is a C-net member and advertizer.

I'm in the same position as littleskunk and need some good instructional books/videos.

I havent shopped around much but all I've seen require some previous instruction in reading music. I can't read a lick of music.

Any suggestions besides going back to school? :D

Sean Kelly

...most importantly of all I want to know my chords and be able to play the bass lines along with the melody.

Tutors for Irish-style won't give you that.

I think Alan Day's tutor would be an excellent choice.

Bertram Levy's The Anglo Concertina Demystified is another good resource.

I, like littleskunk, don't read either, and so found Alan Day's tutorial the way to go. It's all by ear, he tells you where to put your fingers, and the rest just works itself out. The examples were particularly inspiring, as I hadn't heard a lot of the "English " style before. Besides which, Al's a great guy.

Have fun

Rob

I hadn't read your post closely enough before my first reply. I too wholeheartedly recommend Alan Day's tutorial. It is very clear and friendly to those learning by ear. I would recommend, though, that you take the opportunity to learn to read music while you are learning. It's not that difficult and often an invaluable tool.

Well my tip is from the bottom of the musical stave the lines are

Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

and the spaces between the lines are

F A C E or Face!

You also might like to try "The right way to read Music" by Harry & Michael Baxter

$8.95 ISBN 0-7160-2008-4

I'm not on comission!

good luck

There is a really nice tutor by a fellow cnet member Alan Day. You can download the sheet music from this site Alan's Site And e-mail Alan for a copy of the CD. It has really helped me with learning how to do the "left hand" stuff.

edited for spad belling

Seems Alan's site is down. Are we able to verify the address you gave is correct? Sounds really cool and a lot of people seem to recommend it.

Sean Kelly