REMEDIES FOR TINA DUST/COUGHING

any patent remedies to stop (praps old) dust inside tina making you cough after playing for a short while?

apart from opening up and mini-hoovering can one put some deodo safely/usefully sprayed from outside (praps some drops of lemon juice on the netting, just as one might put lemon in microwave to kill after-smell of microwaved fish).

Had a go a few months ago on an accordion wot had not been used for years and within about five minutes the smell/air dust it was pumping out - moldy(not beer and spittoon)- had me hawking and I had to put it down and go and get a drink and some fresh air... :ph34r:

Edited by Kautilya

I got this tip from an old accordion player - Fungal spores can be quite harmful, so it is best to brush and blow out all the folds of the bellows on all old instruments. Do this in open air and avoid at all costs breathing the dust. Then get a deodorant foot spray, that has antibacterial and antifungal action. Make sure the type you get doesn't leave a powder residue. I can't remember the one I used, it was liquid based in a small pump action bottle from the chemists. (I'll see if I can get a name). Spray inside just enough to mist all surfaces inside - not enough to even dampen, let alone wet, leave open to dry off. You will have a sweet smelling and nasty-odour-free concertina from there on in and future fungal growth will be prevented. I treated a few instruments this way with huge success. One smelt so bad and was so full of dust and fungus that it was unplayable, now after a clean out and spray, 3 years later - it still has the faint odour of lemons when it is played.

Simon

Edited by Simon H

any patent remedies to stop (praps old) dust inside tina making you cough after playing for a short while?

Good advice from Simon, but you might also consider getting yourself checked out. I had a similar problem last year which turned out to be asthma.

Good advice from Simon, but you might also consider getting yourself checked out. I had a similar problem last year which turned out to be asthma.

THANKS Simon - will proceed.

Theo - think not, hope not and pretty sure it is the box which is wheezing instead of me! :P

It got me thinking about dust....

Would anyone be able to help me.....

I knew there would be some aftermath from the large dust-storms over here in Australia, and I just happened to keep my window open throughout the days. Of course, the dust got in, and it's settled a fair bit on my concertina case.

Any 'safe' remedies, or do I just go into my father's shed and rip up an old, torn singlet into a couple of rags and get wiping away?

Cheers,

Patrick

It got me thinking about dust....

Would anyone be able to help me.....

I knew there would be some aftermath from the large dust-storms over here in Australia, and I just happened to keep my window open throughout the days. Of course, the dust got in, and it's settled a fair bit on my concertina case.

Any 'safe' remedies, or do I just go into my father's shed and rip up an old, torn singlet into a couple of rags and get wiping away?

Cheers,

Patrick

They do say silk knickers don't scratch, whereas your old man's old string vest....... :ph34r:

There's a great, wonderful-smelling and germ-killing spray made by Young Living Essential Oils called 'Thieves.'

It sprays a very fine, well-dispersed mist, with a real 'zap,' so it's not too wet.

Would work well sprayed inside the concertina case. Not sure I'd spray it on the tina itself. (I use it to spray toothaches, mostly!)

It's kind of pricey, but not really... I use my own homemade sprays with vinegar & etc. (clove oil) for most things, but for some things, only the 'Thieves' spray seems right.

Safe to inhale it, of course.

Spices are great -- in fact, I have used dry ground cinnamon on some things, too, to clean. That might not work on a concertina, though...

Anyway, YLEO -- Young Living -- is youngliving.com, then click to the products... the spray is there somewhere.

Edit added:

Note that the website has more than one product called 'Thieves' -- it's the spray, not the bottle of oil, I'm talking about.

Edited by bellowbelle

There's a great, wonderful-smelling and germ-killing spray made by Young Living Essential Oils called 'Thieves.'

It sprays a very fine, well-dispersed mist, with a real 'zap,' so it's not too wet.

Would work well sprayed inside the concertina case. Not sure I'd spray it on the tina itself. (I use it to spray toothaches, mostly!)

It's kind of pricey, but not really... I use my own homemade sprays with vinegar & etc. (clove oil) for most things, but for some things, only the 'Thieves' spray seems right.

Safe to inhale it, of course.

Spices are great -- in fact, I have used dry ground cinnamon on some things, too, to clean. That might not work on a concertina, though...

Anyway, YLEO -- Young Living -- is youngliving.com, then click to the products... the spray is there somewhere.

Edit added:

Note that the website has more than one product called 'Thieves' -- it's the spray, not the bottle of oil, I'm talking about.

tks W!

The point regarding the foot spray is its particular antifungal properties as very often it is fungus growths that are found in the folds creating dust and spores which can be harmful to player and instrument. I wouldn't use any spray with ground spices or particles of any sort in it as chances are going to be greater of clogging reeds.

Simon