Is it me .......

PeterT

I had very disheartening encounter yesterday.

I am teaching Animation at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco.

One of my class' next assignment is short dance sequence.

Most commonly people bring rap music and attempt to animate hip-hop, which is hopeless animation wise.

Folk music or some common dances are better, as they provide opportunities for up/down, excercisinig weight and balance, and are cycled, which makes it possible to make shorter clip reasonably (and work less).

When I mentioned it to the class (25-35yo) I heard great moan and sighs: "Nooo, not the folk dance".

Perhaps they'd be more receptive if you illustrated your point with examples comparing the options provided by the different music types?

I'd like to see you try.

I ask them to bring sound files for dialog assignment and specifically mention that I don't want any violence or foul language.

Guess what they bring? I can't supply materials for 60 people. And I do demonstrate, and they seem receptive and interested, but guess what they bring again? It's like a war of attrition.

(...) and even recently had a thread about english concertina playing technique (which seems to happen not as often as it should).

I was wondering if someone could link me to this thread? I've had a search but couldn't find it. Thanks :)

Guest Peter Laban

On the other hand, I just had a lengthy argument/discussion here where there was no response at all to any point or argument made in the course of the thread other than maybe having it called 'waffle'. To be honest there's not much point in making your argument if there's no real response to what you're saying.

Guest Peter Laban

That wasn't the point, Dick pretty much evaded every argument put to him, which made the whole thing a bit of a waste of time.

if it is boring, it is because the moderation policy is a little heavy[inmy opinion]....

My opinion is quite the opposite.

Of all the forum "moderators" I've encountered, Paul has the lightest touch... bar none. "Touch" can take many forms, though. Unlike many, Paul doesn't use the forum as a platform for dispensing his own personal views. In fact, he is rarely heard from. He is the owner, and he is the boss, but he isn't bossy, and he doesn't treat Concertina.net as a either a personal trophy or a personal soapbox.

In fact, Paul doesn't really act as a "moderator", but more as a "monitor". He monitors the progress of our discussions, but rarely intervenes, and then only when he fears that the spirit of peaceful exchange for which we are known (and of which we are deservedly proud) is threatened. In my opinion, it's Paul's rare interventions -- to stop personal attacks or discussions which seem to have degenerated into feuds -- which help to insure the openness which keeps our discussions lively and interesting... as well as friendly. And for the most part, this keeping of the peace -- as well as keeping of the spirit -- is managed successfully by the actively posting members, so it is a truly rare occurrence for Paul to involve himself directly.

As you might guess, I don't think the Concertina.net forums are boring, though there have certainly been periods of both lesser and greater interest for myself personally. But my lessers may be someone else's greaters, and vice versa, so the fact that our Topics and discussions vary widely -- some times more widely than others -- is a good thing.

Jim, I said that I think the moderation policy is better here than in some other places, but personally, I think Paul is a LITTLE is over cautious.

UNFORTUNATELY most people prefer a little sensation, this is why tabloid newspapers sell so well,I mean newspapers, never report al the decent things people do but all the ghastly things, the murders, rapes, frauds etc etc, WHY?because they know the majority of people love salacious gossip

We here on Concertina.net are not "the majority".

We are not here because we play a "majority" instrument. I also have the impression that most of us don't have tabloid newspapers at the top of our reading lists, and here we like to associate with persons who display similar priorities.

people will always visit this site to get information about repairs etc etc, but since the sight is sponsored by various advertisers, the sponsors would probably be happier if more people visited the site,...

A smart advertiser is only interested in visitors who are potential customers. I have noticed that all the advertisers here are concertina-related. I believe Paul has some choice in that. Neither he nor the advertisers he selects (nor I) desire an influx of participants who are more interested in celebrity gossip, partisan politics, brutal crimes, or a even a new cheesecake recipe than in concertinas.

The purpose of Concertina.net is not to gather as much money as possible by attracting as many advertisers and participants as possible, regardless of their interests and behavior, but to provide a comfortable environment in which persons interested in concertinas can share their interest in all its various aspects (some of which have their own subForums), without interference from those who don't share our interest. The advertising has two purposes: 1) to help insure Concertina.net's continuing existence by helping pay its expenses, and 2) to provide an easily accessible (but non-intrusive) channel by which concertina-based businesses and their potential customers can become aware of each other.

...more people will visit the site if there are interesting discussions...

Will they be people who are interested in concertinas? Dp we really want to attract them if they're not? Do you?

I might judge from some of your own posts (including some that I have seen, which were subsequently removed) that you feel that provoking confrontations is a good way to make discussions more "interesting". Is that a correct conclusion?

I was astonished that a remark I made about grandmother sucking eggs which was accompanied by two smileys was deleted [hardly a personal attack]

Sure looked like one to me. Apparently to Paul, too.

As for the smileys... if someone were to punch me in the face, then grin, put his arm around me, and say what a great mate he thought I was, I would be inclined to disbelieve everything but the punch. Especially if my relationship with the person who did it was already less than best buddies before the incident. The interpretation of smileys, like most everything else, depends on context.

...but its Pauls Forum, so I accept that is his prerogative.

Is that why you seem to be continually challenging the limits of what he will tolerate?

Enough said. Maybe even too much.

It's possible Paul will feel that I've gotten too personal or that this is too contentious a subject and will ask me to delete part or even all of this post. If so, I will do so, and he won't need to do it for me.

Guest Peter Laban
because much information came out about different traditional players, much information came out about how they learned the music, debate is not about scoring points, but about passing on information.

But it wasn't you who provided any of it, in fact you dismissed most of it as waffle. Which is exactly my point, it was a waste of time spent on you as you didn't respond to the point, you ignored every scrap of information that didn't suit your own opinion.