Steve Turner workshop, Lewes, UK, 20 Feb 2010

Lewes Saturday Folk Club Workshop No 123

STEVE TURNER CONCERTINA WORKSHOP

SONG ACCOMPANIMENT: ALL SYSTEMS

Saturday 20th. February 2010

10.45 a.m.- 4.45 p.m. Places £25

Elephant & Castle White Hill Lewes BN7 2DJ www.lewessaturdayfolkclub.org/

Steve (www.steve-turner.co.uk) comes from a family of singers & concertina players; his grandfather sang & played concertina in the 1890s. In the 1970s he belonged to the Geordie band Canny Fettle & won the Melody Maker 'Stars of the 80s' national competition. His English concertina playing is beautifully inventive & dazzling. He is also an excellent singer, cittern & mandolin player & his latest (5th.) album has received outstanding reviews.

The workshop will cover choice of accompaniment styles & instrument, different approaches to accompaniment, finding chords, singing techniques, arrangement & presentation.

Some music will be sent in advance.

IN THE EVENING STEVE TURNER PERFORMS AT THE ELEPHANT & CASTLE

(admission £6; advance tickets available from address at end of this form)

Provisional Timetable

10.45 Registration & coffee; order lunch (refreshments not included)

11.00 Introductions, background, choosing an accompanying instrument, singing techniques, finding chords

12.30 Lunch

13.30 Looking at songs, choosing a song, different approaches to accompaniment,discussion

15.00 Tea/coffee break

15.15 More advanced ideas, arranging a song, presentation to an audience, time for participants to play, sing & discuss

16.45 Finish

N.B. Booking is recommended as numbers are limited. Music will be sent in advance & maps & accommodation lists on request.

Lewes Saturday Folk Club

c/o 20, St. John's Terrace, LEWES,

East Sussex BN7 2DL

Tel. (01273) 476757

e-mail: valmaigoodyear@aol.com

www.lewessaturdayfolkclub.org/

STEVE TURNER CONCERTINA WORKSHOP

Saturday 20th. February 2010

BOOKING FORM

I would like to attend the workshop. I enclose a cheque for £25.00 (refreshments not included).

Name:

Address:

Telephone:

E-mail address:

Tick for map: Tick for accommodation list:

No. of tickets for evening performance:

(£6 each, include SAE for these)

Please make cheques payable to Lewes Arms Folk Club (that's right) and send with this booking form to:

Valmai Goodyear, 20, St. John's Terrace,

LEWES, East Sussex BN7 2DL

Tel. (01273) 476757

e-mail: valmaigoodyear@aol.com

www.lewessaturdayfolkclub.org/

Thanks. I went to an exclellent short workshop of Steve's at Whitby in 2008. I think we'll make the long trek down and have a bit of a holiday too

Great! I look forward to meeting you. If you would like to know about reasonably-priced B&Bs in Lewes, try http://www.lewesbandb.co.uk/accommodation/lewes-town/. Castle Banks Cottage and Felix Gallery are both about a hundred yards from the Elephant & Castle (http://www.elephantandcastlelewes.co.uk/), where the workshop and folk club are held.

Valmai

Steve will be playing the English but talking about aspects of song accompaniment which apply to all systems. Yes, he has an usual instrument - it certainly has more bass than you'd expect and a fearsome array of buttons.

It's going to be a full day (and an excellent evening, no doubt).

We look forward to welcoming Dick Miles to the club as our guest performeron Saturday 12th. June next year.

Valmai

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...