Concertina insurance in the UK

I use Musicians Insurance Services. Fortunately, I can't tell you how good they are as I've never had to claim!

Always been helpful on the phone though and is a folk based policy with a vague connection to EFDSS (I think) so is fairly appropriate

Mi-ul

Hello,

Just wondering if anybody can advise on insurance for concertinas? I want to insure my new Marcus Anglo and don't know who to approach.

Thanks,

QL

I have used Allianz Musical Instrument insurance for many years, for my concertina and my guitars, and would recommend them. I made one claim years back, and it was as straightforward and as painless as it could be.

Allianz website

Just wondering if anybody can advise on insurance for concertinas? I want to insure my new Marcus Anglo and don't know who to approach.

I know there have been threads in the past on just this topic. Try using the Search facility (especially the extended version, 2 button clicks deeper than the simple search), and I think you'll find some useful information.

Good luck.

Over at melodeon.net it seems that many of us are switching to Newmoon Insurance

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,1514.0.html

Newmoon is a company set up by former British Reserve and Allianz insurers. They provide a good service and their premiums are around 1/2 to 2/3 of theose charged by Allianz, Hencilla, etc.

I switched my insurance to Newmoon just today and saved over £80 on the premium. Definitely worth a look.

http://www.newmooninsurance.com/musical/index.php

Hello,

Thanks,

QL

As I am not a profesional musician I found it cheaper through the house insurance. Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

I switched my insurance to Newmoon just today and saved over £80 on the premium. Definitely worth a look.

Odd that following the steps to get a "harmonic" quote, the documents it gives you at the end are for the natural product, which would limit the claim to £2000...

I can't find any reference on the internet about anybody's experiences making a claim. Cheap premiums are great, but only if they don't kick up a stink when you claim...

Odd that following the steps to get a "harmonic" quote, the documents it gives you at the end are for the natural product, which would limit the claim to £2000...

I can't find any reference on the internet about anybody's experiences making a claim. Cheap premiums are great, but only if they don't kick up a stink when you claim...

I just got an online quote from them, and it gave me the correct Harmonic policy. Compared to my current Allianz premium, it was nearly £50 cheaper (about 30%), and that was with £0 excess, whereas Allianz has a fixed excess of £25. Adding the cover for unattended vehicles added about £10, which seems good. I may change over to them (depending on the smallprint!). Does anyone else have any experience with New Moon?

Umm... I think you are misinterpreting something there. I have a couple of melodeons insured for > £2k and a Wheatstone Linota insured for in excess of £5k. Before signing up to insuring with them, I had an in-depth telephone conversation with one of Newmoon's staff discussing my exact requirements, and there was absolutely no hint that claims would be limited to £2k. If this were true, they would be laying themselves open to mis-selling and hefty fines as a result. These guys are reputable professionals and I don't have any qualms about dealing with them.

Umm... I think you are misinterpreting something there.

Nope - I just clicked on the link to the Harmonic section, then followed the forms to get a quote. At the end when it gave the quote, it gave links to the two policy docs, both of which were for the "natural" policy, even though the page/URL made it clear I had indeed got a quote for the harmonic policy. I've no doubt it's "just" an error in their web scripts (which I reported).

Yes, same thing just happened to me - I followed through the Harmonics policy stages but the paperwork attached to the quote was for the Natural policy. I will give them a call and try to sort it out that way.

Thanks to you all for your advice

QL

Hello,

Thanks,

QL

I work in insurance (claims) and have done so more or less forever. I don't sell, and I do not benefit from making any recommendation.

Many insurers will allow you to add "specified items" to your normal household contents policy. You describe the item, provide proof of value, choose an appropriate sum insured and it is then covered for a wide range of perils, subject to an excess.

Most household policies are "new for old".

Many policies will have exclusions for instruments used professionally.

There will sometimes be "security conditions" such as not leaving it in view in a parked vehicle. All policies will have some sort of condition along the lines of "You must take all reasonable precautions to reduce ro remove the risk of a claim arising."

I would be surprised if any major insurer refused to add specified items to an existing household contents policy. I know for a fact that The Co-operative Insurance covers many amateur musicians' instruments, some of which are quite high value, and usually the cover is new for old with an excess of around £50. You would need to speak to the company to check the full terms, conditions and premiums.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to reopen an old topic. I just started to enquire about insurance again, so tried to get a quote from newmoon. Same problem with the wrong policy as before, so I tried to send the message below via their "contact us" page. That failed... so I tried to email. Now that bounced!

So is Newmoon still alive?! Their quote is attractive (half the price of British Reserve), but I'm not at all impressed by anything else!

Here's my message. Guess I may try to phone them... though not sure I'll bother:

-----------------------------

I just tried to send the message below from your "Contact Us" section

of your website. Fortunately I copied the message first (the rest of

the website did not fill me with hope), because on sending it it

generated the error:

"Notice

* Could not instantiate mail function.

Thankyou.

Thank you for submitting the form and we will get back to you."

(with slightly garbled formatting).

It feels (just like it did months ago when I last used your website)

that I'm about to be your first customer... that doesn't exactly

inspire confidence!

All the best - Danny

--------------------------

I just tried to get a quote online from your website for the "harmonic" product.

At the end of the process it presented me with a quote... the title

(url) of the page referred to the harmonic product, but the contents

(policy document etc) referred to the "natural" product. Consequently

it's impossible for me to proceed (via the website).

I actually noticed this a long time ago - back in October (I thought

I'd informed you, but maybe I forgot). I know others had the same

problem, so it seems hard to believe you don't know about it... oh

well.

- Danny

PS There's a link that says something like "Altar quote" as well. That

should be alter...! Unless you sell altars...

PPS it is extremely annoying to not be able to retrieve a saved quote

on the website!

PPPS There are some links that result in the top frame (that has "Home

Quote Products" etc getting replicated so that it appears twice.

Sorry to reopen an old topic. I just started to enquire about insurance again, so tried to get a quote from newmoon. Same problem with the wrong policy as before, so I tried to send the message below via their "contact us" page. That failed... so I tried to email. Now that bounced!

So is Newmoon still alive?! Their quote is attractive (half the price of British Reserve), but I'm not at all impressed by anything else!

Yes - Newmoon is definitely still alive. I've needed to contact them recently to update my insurance policy and found them to be efficient and courteous as usual. I have found them very easy to deal with over the phone; they seem to expect it rather than web/e-mail contact. I agree that their website is not one of the best, but I don't hold that against them. They are insurance brokers after all, not web designers.

The chap I have dealt with is Joe Carne, e-mail: joe.carne@newmooninsurance.com

Edited by Steve_freereeder

Yes - Newmoon is definitely still alive. I've needed to contact them recently to update my insurance policy and found them to be efficient and courteous as usual. I have found them very easy to deal with over the phone; they seem to expect it rather than web/e-mail contact. I agree that their website is not one of the best, but I don't hold that against them. They are insurance brokers after all, not web designers.

The chap I have dealt with is Joe Carne, e-mail: joe.carne@newmooninsurance.com

I just spoke to Joe who was very helpful in organising insurance for my boxes too - happy with the detail he could provide and all seems good so far.

Yes, I spoke to Joe, too. He was very helpful. My advice is to give them a call, or email Joe and ask him to ring you back, then you can get the policy sorted over the phone and all the paperwork emailed to you.

Edited by Queen Lud

I agree that their website is not one of the best, but I don't hold that against them. They are insurance brokers after all, not web designers.

That's seems to me a bit like excusing someone for not paying their taxes by saying that their profession is something other than "accountant".

If they're not web designers themselves, then they should hire a competent web designer/maintainer. (Yes, making sure a system runs properly is at least as important as designing it and setting it up.) If they're going to use the internet for business purposes, then they should do so competently.

• 3 weeks later...