It's Here!

Wendy -- any tips on how you made your 'tina mute?

For something "easy to make", how about an old sweatshirt with the sleeves missing. Stick the concertina up the middle and a hand through each armhole for playing. (Try to find a shirt with nonvolatile fuzz, so you won't get fibers clogging your reeds.)

I'm not interested in going lickety-split through this. I need to find the notes!

This prompted me to dig out an old post (from the old Forum, so it wasn't accessible from C.net) that I hope you might find useful. I've re-posted it in Teaching & Learning, right here.

Thanks for the advice, Jim. I already do some of those things, but you've given me a couple of good exercises to work on. The problem is just when I get really lost in the music and forget that I actually have to deal with the mechanics of playing as well. It's a great feeling, at least until the music suddenly stops! La Valse des Jeunes Filles (Waltz of the Little Girls) is great for getting lost in like that....

:)

Steven

I just had to check in. The sun is setting on another day of practice ...

Today was just great. Out of seemingly the blue, I picked out the first notes of "J'Attendre." I also have had a chart of "La Mer" in my office (which is where I'm practicing). IT IS IN the Key of C! Whoo-hoo. I played all the notes I could and sang the remainder. The triplets are interesting. But the important point is I TRIED. And here I'd promised to work on "Star of the County Down." Silly me.

The even better news: still no banging on the wall from the neighbors. Forearms and pinky are toasted, however.

I may be playing an actual tune before too long! HOORAY!

ldp

p.s. i'll try to respond to folks' replies soon. promise. -- ldp