First time opening up the concertina

Well, they said that owning a vintage instrument would require this, so here it goes ....

My Crabb has an issue with both low Gs though the left side seems to settle down after a bit. It sounds like the reed shoe not being tight in the seat. I've read Dave's 'Concertina Maintenance Manual' qute a few times but have trepidations about opening up such an expensive instrument. Other than alignment, keeping the screws in their proper order and not ham-handing the screws, is there anything else that I need to be aware of on a larger Crane?

Sorry to be timid but have enough other experiences to realize that it's far better to ask first. Any replies would be appreciated.

Edited by saguaro_squeezer

Hi Rod,

A clear table with ample space, lots of light and some uninterrupted designated time will make for a good start.

A small screwdriver that fits your endbolts properly will help your confidence. I like to hold my strong hand toward the top of the screwdriver and put the fingers of my other hand where the blade of the driver contacts the head of the endbolt.

Have Dave's manual handy. As you take apart and lay out your parts it is not a bad idea to pause and mentally rehearse how what you have just taken apart will go back together. Make notes if it helps. You can use the action pan to locate the appropriate reed needing attention. Remember: Draw notes in the chamber; push notes on the flat side of the reed pan.

It is important to put the reed pan back in the bellows pan in the same orientation that it was removed. Usually a serial # stamping or letter on the pan and bellows help find the correct alignment. If you have doubts, before you remove the reed pan, it may be helpful to put a dot from a pen on the edge of the bellows chamois and ajacent reed pan chamois.

If you need to shim the reed shoe use the thinest piece of paper available that will do the job. Too tight can also cause problems.

It is not brain surgery, but concertinas can seem like complicated things until you learn your way around and develope good maintenance techniques.

Best of luck,

Greg

If you need to shim the reed shoe use the thinest piece of paper available that will do the job. Too tight can also cause problems.

Just to add to Greg's excellent advice....

When adding a paper shim to secure a loose reed frame in its dovetail slot, use two short paper strips: one at one side of the rounded tip of the reed frame, and another strip near the reed tongue screws near the open end of the dovetail slot. The idea is to have no paper shim along the slot length of the reed frame, as this can distort the reed frame so that the reed tongue comes into contact with the edge of the slot. There is very little clearance here and it is surprising how even the thinnest of paper shims along the slot length can cause the reed tongue to foul the slot.

Good luck with your trouble shooting. Go carefully, a little bit at a time, and as Greg says, always review where you are at every stage so that you know you can always put things back as they were.

I have two left hands when it comes to anything mechanical, even though my father was a boat builder. However, I have opened my instrument a couple of times and tweeked it successfully. So you will have no problems I reckon.

As you can see from my avatar, my instrument is quite a nice antique one too and so I know exectly where you are coming from as I had kittens the first time I reached for the screwdriver.

Ian

A useful tip (cribbed from Dave's indispensable book) is to cut a short length of plastic tubing to fit over the shaft of your screwdriver for it's full length. The end of the tube fits over the head of the end bolt and prevents the screwdriver from slipping and scratching the concertina.

Also, don't leave the instrument unassembled overnight, as it may warp.

I wanted to give everyone an update. I really appreciate your responses. I talked to Chris Algar and he asked if I'd considered climate change as a possibility since the Crabb didn't have the problem when it arrived but had developed it over the couple of weeks here. I know that Greg J. and I had discussed this at length and I have little film canister humidifiers in my other two cases but not so with the Crabb. Its case fits too tightly,

So, I went out and bought a humidifier and a guage and am attempting to get my study/music room to a standard 50%. It did bear fruit in that the low G in the left hand has ceased protesting and returned to normal. I will give the G in the right hand a day or two and if it doesn't settle down, I'll take a deep breath and reach for my courage and the screwdriver.

Our standard humidity here is <20%. I like that but concertinas, apparently, do not.

Thanks again for everyones kind responses!

I will give the G in the right hand a day or two and if it doesn't settle down, I'll take a deep breath and reach for my courage and the screwdriver.

Don't be too scared. Concertinas are designed so that for the most part they can be taken apart and reassembled again relatively easily. You sound as if you've done the reading and that you can do this responsibly. Just go carefully and you'll be OK.

On the humidity problem, I think Chris may well be right in that a significant change can cause problems with loose reed frames and this seems to be borne out by your results with the humidifier. A year or so ago I had a similar problem with a Crabb which had spent some years in South Africa before returning to England. Dave Prebble fixed it for me while I watched and saw exactly what needed to be done. (Thanks, Dave!)

Edited by Steve_freereeder

This afternoon, my right hand G cleared its throat and sang like a bird! I guess a couple of days at 'normal' humidity and it was happy. Whew. Now I can worry about the lazy valve on my Lachenal.

I'll still have to open it up but it seems a bit less daunting. ;)