Help locating a good concertina in Spain

Hi all,

I am currently in contact with a chap in Spain called Eduardo Tarilonte. He is the producer of a highly regarded CD of accordian and other free reed samples (details here). It includes a set of concertina samples, but the only concertina available to him, well, here's a photo:-

www_eduardotarilonte_com_varios_concertina.jpg.png

Now the subject of concertina samples have come up on this forum from time to time and there's never really been a satisfactory option. Eduardo is very keen to sample what we wuld call a good concertina (Wheatstone or Jeffries, something like that) but of course out in Spain such concertinas aren't around to be had.

Does anyone know of a good concertina in Spain, or is anyone in Spain with such a concertina who would be willing to lend or take it to Eduardo for the purpose of sampling it in his studio? The type, anglo, English, duet etc, is not particularly important. The quality is. If you can help out or know someone who can please either reply here or PM me. It would be great to have a commercially produced concertina sample available for those who want it.

Cheers,

Chris

PS I offered to record samples of my own concertinas but Eduardo said that it is important that the samples are made in the same studio as the other instruments were sampled, for consistency of sound and approach across all the samples on the CD.

That's a good thought. I'll try Alan Day and see if he has contact details. Meatime if anyone else has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

Cheers,

Chris

Felix is a C.net member; two ID's, so I assume that only the newer one is current!

We are hoping to visit Barcelona (or points south) in December. I'll be bringing along a good concertina (and a flute) in hopes of some tunes. I'd love to hear from some Spanish musicians.

Eduardo says:-

That would be nice!!. But I live far away from Barcelona. I live in Valladolid.

Never mind.

Chris

We are hoping to visit Barcelona (or points south) in December. I'll be bringing along a good concertina (and a flute) in hopes of some tunes. I'd love to hear from some Spanish musicians.

And although Valladolid is closer to San Sebastian than it is to Barcelona, it's still a fair trek (about 300 km?). San Sebastian is where friend Joachim took me for an Irish session a few years back, and I recall that there were two other concertina players there.

Maybe Eduardo could make contact with the folks who sponsor the session and through them the concertina players? And if he can't make it up there, maybe he can find a way -- a fine meal, a local session, or whatever -- to tempt them to visit him? In fact, if someone from San Sebastian were making a visit to Madrid, Valladolid is a modest detour. And if visiting Salamanca or Lisbon, it would be directly on the way.

Worth a try?

• 3 months later...

Never mind.

Chris

Hello, here we are!

How are you? I don't visit very usually the forums, and I read today this topic searching for good concertinas in Spain.

I live in Ourense, Galicia, and it is a bit far from Barcelona, more or less 1.000 kms., and I don't go usually to Barcelona, onle once in my life!

I own an old lachenal with mahogany ends, a county clare dipper with metal ends and a ebony ends jeffries copy from suttner , as some of you already know.

I know Joachim and some persons more from San Sebastian, but I never met, I had wrote several e-mails to Joachim.

There are a few more concertinists in Spain, one of them, Fergus Fiddler, that is a user in this forum and he lives in Madrid, and I have heard from a person from Barcelona that plays the concertina, catalonian music in it, and he is a friend of famous diatonic accordion player Cati Plana, but I never have heard or seen him playing and the type of instrument he has.

Perhaps in the centre of catalonian culture, called C.A.T. Centre Artesá Tradicionarius, that they make workshops of instruments, including diatonic accordion, they could have more information about concertina players in Barcelona

I think that Cati Plana is the teacher of diatonic accordion in the C.A.T. and you can ask her.

C.A.T. Centre Artesà Tradicionàrius

Travessia de Sant Antoni, 6-8 · Gràcia

08012 Barcelona

Telèfon 93 218 44 85

Fax 93 415 55 81

tramcat@tradicionarius.cat

www.tradicionarius.cat

Other place in Barcelona where somebody teaches concertina is in the following place, but I don't know who he is.

Escola de Música Tradicional i Popular de la Asociación Cultural LEZA.

Concertina, acordeón, guitarra, mandolina, violín, bouzouki, banjo, gralla dulzaina y flautas Barcelona

¿ ?

Asociación Cultural LEZA

Centre Civic Las Casa del Rellotge

C/ Llobregat s/n

08038 Barcelona

Tf. 93 432 24 89

I know that a person from the aragonian group (I think from Zaragoza) Lahiez played the concertina but I don't know what type or quality of instrument, I have heard recordings years ago, and it seemed a low quality one.

I have two accounts in the forum because I had troubles with my older account, but you can contact directly to my e-mail address felixcastrovicente@yahoo.es

I promise to visit more usually the forum.

About flutes and concertinas I told you about some videos that are in youtube with me and my brother playing with Pancho Alvarez, only search for félix castro concertina, and you can see them.

Regards

Félix Castro