What (or Who) Is Your Avatar?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I remember playing in those same ferns when I was little, I could curl up right inside and not be seen by passerby.....

I bet passers by wondered how the fern was making music. ;)

Perhaps. I don't really remember making any noises while I was in them (I was usually hiding out from mom and homework), but that is in no way does that mean I actually was being quiet. I tend to make lots of noise (singing, humming, tapping fingers, clicking teeth, etc., etc.) without even noticing it.......other's usually do notice it though, unfortunately. :unsure:

Mine is me looking stern and forbidding as if that would fool anyone... I was taken by surprise as it happens, that's what happens when your other half bellows 'Oi!' and presses the shutter button. :unsure:

I always thought that was a friendly face myself.

Alan

Mine is a little ceramic figure of a flop-eared rabbit playing a concertina. I helped a friend take things that hadn't sold at her yard sale out to the curb for a bulk trash pickup. I set down a big cardboard box of glassware and pottery and took a quick look. There was Concertina Bunny looking up at me. He's been sitting on my music bookshelf ever since.

• 4 months later...

Got emailed my new avatar picture today...its me playing the concertina round my grandparents house, in front of a crowd of 15 ie. my family (at least I know they won't throw rotten fruit if I'm terrible)...this is of course a posed pic after the event.

Got emailed my new avatar picture today...its me playing the concertina round my grandparents house, in front of a crowd of 15 ie. my family (at least I know they won't throw rotten fruit if I'm terrible)...this is of course a posed pic after the event.

If my wider family only threw rotten fruit I'd feel lucky. Stones would be more likely. Luckily my wife has more patience with my struggles and better taste than to only like modern music.

Ian

If my wider family only threw rotten fruit I'd feel lucky. Stones would be more likely. Luckily my wife has more patience with my struggles and better taste than to only like modern music.

Ian

I think wearing fluffy pink slippers was enough to distract them ;)

I think wearing fluffy pink slippers was enough to distract them ;)

If I wore fluffy pink slippers my father would die of an apoplexy (whatever that is when it's at home).

Ian

I'm sure he'd want a pair for himself. ;)

I only mentioned them just in case looking at the picture you thought I was a hobbit with pink furry feet.

Hi

Mine's an 1851 Joseph Scates Amboyna English bought 30'ish years ago. Researching Joseph Scates has given me hours of pleasure/frustration- chasing him around England and Ireland and the internet (not least on this forum) via newspapers, census records, directories, museums and BDM (NOT BDSM -that will be elsewhere ;) )documents. After Wheatstone (researched primarily by Neil Wayne), Lachenal (researched by Stephen Chambers see his papers on concertina.com-very knowledgeable about Scates too), and Jefferies I reckon Scates was probably the most interesting maker (Victorian) to research.

May I make a request here -like most research it goes on and on and I am interested in any Scates serial numbers along with descriptions of the concertina and any label details (bit like collecting train numbers) that anyone is prepared to give me -just to see if anything emerges.

chris