CD Desert Island List Request

I am a beginner with a concertina on order.

Can anyone please provide a "desert island" list of anglo CDs. In addition to the tutors I have purchased (Edgely, Bramich and Levy) I would like to immerse myself in the best players. I can't afford every CD available but I am hoping to start with a collection of ten or so.

Thanks in advance.

I'd say that your first 3 CDs should be the Anglo International 3-CD set.

Can anyone please provide a "desert island" list of anglo CDs. In addition to the tutors I have purchased (Edgely, Bramich and Levy) I would like to immerse myself in the best players. I can't afford every CD available but I am hoping to start with a collection of ten or so.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Raggle Taggle

Anglo International 3-CD set would be a great place to start, like Daniel suggested. Otherwise what style of music would you like to play? What do you have on order? When will it be delivered? Do you play an instrument now?

It might make a difference in suggestions.

Congratulations

Thanks

Leo

Thanks in advance.

Do we get a luxury too?

If so, then I'll take my Baritone Aeola along with me. :P

Steve

Edited by SteveS

Off top and in no order and only a few

English Style John Kirkpatrick, Brian peters, Anahata, dave Whetstone

USA Jody Kruskal

Irish Style , Noel Hill, Padraig Rynne, Tom Carey, Claire Keville, Paddy Murphy, Mary Macnamara, Kate Mc Namra, Edel Fox, Kitty hayes, Mrs Crotty, Tommy McCarthy, Jacqueline McCarthy, William Mullaley,John Williams, Geroid O mHalloran , Micheal O Raghallaigh. The Clare set of CDs (Free Reed) Chris Droney, Terry Bingham,Jackie Daly's first record, Dymphna O'Sullivan, Cathy Custy, Niamh ni Chara, Tim Collins, Larry Kinsella.

Also lots of stuff on YouTube and Comhaltas web sites of non recorded artists, plus Irish radio downloads. I'm sure you'll get lots of help

Look at the Cladagh record site and click Concertina they have 24 different CDs for sale

Edited by michael sam wild

To clarify, I have an Edgley ordered (Frank, the deposit is on the way) and I prefer ITM. Upon recommendation I ordered the Anglo International set from Frank. I have some whistle experience.

Edited by Raggle Taggle

if you prefer itm, here is a partial list of key recordings:

noel hill's first solo cd, the irish concertina

noel hill's duo cd with fiddler tony linane

mary macnamara's solo with guests martin hayes & pj hayes, "traditional music from east clare"

mary mac's second solo cd, "the blackberry blossom"

jacqueline mccarthy's solo cd, "the hidden note," also her duo with piper tommy keane, "the wind among the reeds"

the rte cd re-release of the classic elizabeth crotty concertina recording

"the clare set," a big box set re-releasing four or five old recordings by clare concertina players

"in good hands," the recent cd release of vintage tracks by clare concertina maestro paddy murphy

west clare's kitty hayes' (RIP) three cds---a solo, a duo with piper peter laban, and a recent live one of tracks from performance

favorites of many:

two solo cds by michael o'rahallaigh---"the nervous man," and can't remember the second

solo cd by tim collins, "dancing on silver," plus his duo with piper brian mcnamara, "reed only"

a few of my personal rave faves:

solo cd by west clare concertina player dymphna o'sullivan, "bean cairdin"

solo cd by east clare concertina player kate mcnamara, "are you the concertina player?"

solo cd by east galway concertina player claire keville, "the daisy field"

solo cd by east clare player martin o'brien, tunes from tuaomgraney, east clare

solo cd by doolin resident terry bingham

solo cd by gearoid o'hallmhorain, plus his duo recording with fiddler patrick ourceau titled "tracin"

Edited by ceemonster

Guest Peter Laban
the rte cd re-release of the classic elizabeth crotty concertina recording
<br /><br /><br /><br />Do note there's nothing like 'THE' Lizzie Crotty recording. The CD is a bunch of tracks recorded over time and on different occasions that has been raked together. There are other recordings that maybe were lost in the RTE archive but do survive elsewhere, a series of duets by Mrs C and Kathleen Harrington for example copies of which were sent out at the time by RTE's soundman Ned Nugent, copies of which still circulate. And they knocked sparks off eachother. There's the 'lost' recordings made at Paddy Killoran's visits to Clare in 1959 and 1961 on which Mrs C appears in duet with Josie Hayes (and Kitty, as she said 'pining in the corner' to have a go at the concertina, which was not offered). Edited by Peter Laban

Guest Peter Laban

I am quite fond of the set dancing tapes Tommy McCarthy did with Eamonn McGivney, Mick Tubridy (and a bit of Junior Crehan). no fuss lovely playing.

I would also recommend listening to all sorts of playing by fiddlers, fluters, pipers and box players etc. Eventually you will develop your own style and it's good fun. Enjoy it at whatever level you are at and find a session where you feel comfortable or just like listening and watching. Best of luck

If we count the Clare Set as one( which is a great way to get a lot of variety) I would place it as number 1.

2) Noel Hill / Tony Linnane

3) Paddy Murphy "In Good Hands" ( Liner notes are exceptional, a true gem )

4) Fr. Charlie Coen / Jack Coen "The Branch Line" ( with headphones you get one channel of unprocessed concertina, the other flute. East Galway music played in a way that you can easily learn tunes directly form the recording)

5) Gearóid ÓhAllmhuráin solo cd( favourite track is the hornpipes with Larry Lynch dancing)

6) Jacqueline McCarthy "Hidden Note"

7) Tim Collins "Dancing on Silver" ( selections of tunes and pairings with duet are brilliant)

8) William Mullaly

9) John Williams first solo disc. ( although not only concertina the audio quality is amazing, also plaing some tracks with Micho Russell)

10) Micheál ÓRaghallaigh " Inside Out", great selections of tunes many on an Ab/Eb