Crabb double duett concertina No. 18200 for sale

Xulutlu

It has 55 studs.! Bought it a while ago on an internet auction. It has a superb sound and is in good condition. It might be a unique instrument since Crabb made something special of every hundreth instrument. It comes with a case aan a salvation army book how to play it.

post-8111-1254222739_thumb.jpg

post-8111-1254222765_thumb.jpg

post-8111-1254222785_thumb.jpg

post-8111-1254222802_thumb.jpg

post-8111-1254560852_thumb.jpg

post-8111-1254560911_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xulutlu

Can you explain what you mean by "Double Duett"? In the early history of duets, Wheatstone made a "Duett" (which was an early type of Maccann) and a "Double Duet" (which has 4 columns of keys like an English, and didn't catch on). It looks like neither of those.

At first glance it looks like a Crane system duet. A high quality 60-key Crane would be much sought after. The Salvation Army book is an instruction book to play Crane system.

Edited by Ivan Viehoff

It might be a unique instrument since Crabb made something special of every hundreth instrument.

Really? :unsure:

I'm not so sure Geoff Crabb would altogether agree with that, though makers did sometimes give "special" numbers to "Special" instruments - for example I own two Wheatstones, #500 (which is earlier in construction/date than its number would suggest and uniquely listed as "without Ab & Eb's") and #25100 (listed, at the top of a new page in the ledger, as "Black, Gilt Fittings, Special" - it has gold-plated fittings and gold-tooled bellows), that do seem to have been so-numbered, whilst the one-off "Shagreen Skin" (sharkskin) Æola for Helen Kennedy, #31600, was not only given a special top-of-the-page number, but was also honoured by being the first to have the new "Best Ring Labels."

Can you explain what you mean by "Double Duett"? In the early history of duets, Wheatstone made a "Duett" (which was an early type of Maccann) and a "Double Duet" (which has 4 columns of keys like an English, and didn't catch on). It looks like neither of those.

I suspect that may be to do with the way Henry Crabb (i) generally described duets as "Double Action Models" in his price lists, trade cards etc.

Edited by Stephen Chambers