Portsmouth Maritime Folk Festival or NESI?

Calurphy

They appear to be scheduled for the same weekend.

I know they are two different types of events, but think I would enjoy both.

Both are a long ride from Philadelphia, but last year's NESI was definitely worth it! Several people there (notibly Ken Sweeney) were talking about the Festival ( I think they were a week apart last year).

So, has any body been to the Portsmouth Maritime Folk Festival?

The Performers section on the website shows a few concertinas.

Here's the link:

http://www.newenglandfolknetwork.org/pmff/index.html

2009_PMFF_8.5x11.pdf

So, has any body been to the Portsmouth Maritime Folk Festival?

Well, you look here. Boy, I had to get on the server and read the directory to find that page! :blink: It must have been announced on the home page and never added to any of the directories; I'll have to fix that!

You'll have fun at either event, good luck deciding.

Ken

I am much closer to Portsmouth than to the location where NESI will be held. (It's possibly just my personal opinion, but I think anyone trying to do BOTH would be overwhelmed by the long drive!)

I plan to visit the Portsmouth festival again this year, but I'm probably going to go to Hampton Beach first (if the weather is nice enough) and then I'll see what's up in Portsmouth... either the Saturday or the Sunday, not sure yet.

I hope to someday be able to attend both events entirely, again, but for now I don't do overnight trips, just day trips.

I gather there is still some accommodation available in the NESI cabins and that the enrolment is down on last year. Probably because of the clash. Still, I'll be at NESI and we're bound to have some fun. If I could put in a request for some nice warm sunny weather, everything would be perfect.

For the concertina lovers who missed the PMFF, here's a sample on YouTube:

Andy Kenna is a most remarkable singer, tradition bearer, concertina master, and consummate performer. We were most fortunate to be able to introduce him to the USA.

We were also fortunate to have a couple of top notch videographers working different venues. More to come - Tom