24 key anglos

JRC

Hi all,

As a would be beginner (and still without an instrument!) I was looking at a reasonable quality 20 key anglo.

The plan being to upgrade to a 26/30 key anglo as and when I could afford it.

I've been told about 24 key anglos-is this good compromise?

What is the key layout, I've been told the extra keys are not on the top row (as per 30's) and would it be suitable for Irish music?

All comments would be welcome

JRC

Hi all,

As a would be beginner (and still without an instrument!) I was looking at a reasonable quality 20 key anglo.

What is the key layout, I've been told the extra keys are not on the top row (as per 30's) and would it be suitable for Irish music?

JRC

well, 24 buttons arent very common. it doesnt make sense that they wouldnt have a 3rd row, but who knows. the only note you need for irish music is c#. the others are just icing on the cake.

I've been told (over the phone) that they are with the 1st and 2nd row if that makes sense, but the person concerned did'nt know what the extra keys were. Thanks for the infomation about C#

JRC

Hi all,

JRC

well, 24 buttons arent very common. it doesnt make sense that they wouldnt have a 3rd row, but who knows. the only note you need for irish music is c#. the others are just icing on the cake.

Basically you get your C and your G row and the middle notes of a third row. Personally I never saw the point although if you only ever play the tune then it might have a point.

I think I'd either keep saving or sell a kidney.

Phil

I'll have to save then, my kidneys are my fallback pension fund

JRC

24 button Anglos were discussed a few months ago on this thread. But if you want to play Irish dance music in the currently popular styles you probably want a 30 button, though you might be able to get away with 26 or 28.

Hi all,

JRC

JRC,

The extra buttons are stacked on top of a regular 20b arrangement (accessible to your index fingers). Normally you get a LH "g#" and "Bb" on the far "C" row. On the RH, again in the "C" row you get the all important push "c#" and often a "d#" going the other way.

The "G" row buttons I believe are often personal choice. I seem to remember an "A/G on the RH "G"row to facilitate chords and perhaps a LH F/E or F#/E to have push and pull options.

The disadvantage of a 22b or 24b is that you will have to adjust where your index finger lands when playing a 3 row instrument with 26, 30 or more buttons.

BTW I'm doing the final tuning and putting the finishing touches on a rosewood ended Lachenal 22b which should have great sound and be a decent player. It will be for sale.

Greg

I have a bin of 20b concertinas to conduct hands on introductory concertina workshops. I have a "spare" 24b with a strip of tape across the top two extra buttons (No sense in needlessly confusing a beginner!) I checked the extra "G" row buttons on a 24b mahogany Lachenal. A/G on the LH and a/g on the RH.

The outside row buttons were as I thought: LH G#/Bb; RH c#/d#.

Greg

I have a bin of 20b concertinas to conduct hands on introductory concertina workshops. I have a "spare" 24b with a strip of tape across the top two extra buttons (No sense in needlessly confusing a beginner!) I checked the extra "G" row buttons on a 24b mahogany Lachenal. A/G on the LH and a/g on the RH.

The outside row buttons were as I thought: LH G#/Bb; RH c#/d#.

Greg

Thanks for the very informative answers Greg-very very helpfil

JRC

24 button Anglos were discussed a few months ago on this thread. But if you want to play Irish dance music in the currently popular styles you probably want a 30 button, though you might be able to get away with 26 or 28.

Hi all,

JRC

Thanks once again Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've just purchased a 24 key rosewood Lashenal from Barleycorn Concertinas-looks good and sounds great.

Thanks to all on the discussion forum for the valuable advice.

Regards

JRC