Hawkwood Concertina Band CD

bandstand

BTW, I must say it is nice to have Jenny on the forum. Hers is a name I heard many times as having spearheaded all sorts of efforts over the years (reprinting old tutors, organizing events, and now this).

Ken

Actually, Jenny has been here for a while, so it's nice to welcome her back!

It's been a slow old day or so on C.net. I expected to wake up to find 100000 postings having been exceeded. Unless someone beats me to it, this will be either 100000 or 0. We'll know which, in a second! :)

BTW, I must say it is nice to have Jenny on the forum. Hers is a name I heard many times as having spearheaded all sorts of efforts over the years (reprinting old tutors, organizing events, and now this).

Ken

Actually, Jenny has been here for a while, so it's nice to welcome her back!

It's been a slow old day or so on C.net. I expected to wake up to find 100000 postings having been exceeded. Unless someone beats me to it, this will be either 100000 or 0. We'll know which, in a second! :)

Sorry Peter,

you're far too late: yours is 100866.

See the link in the upper right corner (post #19): http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...p=100866 :P

Post #100000 must have been on august 28. I didn't find it yet. But Chris Timson was very close: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...;p=99999

Post #100000 must have been on august 28. I didn't find it yet. But Chris Timson was very close: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...;p=99999

Paul Read was very close too: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...;p=99998

And so was tombilly: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...p=100001

But the winner is: ............... Snorre from Oslo, Norway!! :D

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...p=100000

Edited to add: but this leave us with the question why at Sep 17 2009, 9:55 PM the board statistics said: "Our members have made a total of 100000 posts"... :huh:

Edited by Leonard

Playing my copy now. Brilliant!

Worth the wait

If only my music reading were up to joining in.

My copy arrived in the post today. And I second John. Playing my copy now. Brilliant! Worth the wait. If only my music reading were up to joining in. Must remember to send Jenny a cheque in payment.

Chris

Chris

You could probably manage Lady Florence with a bit of practice. Taken at a fair lick but the tune is reasonably straightforward. We played it at Hawkwood in January (the "non-invited" band). I thought it OK but nothing special. The invited band on the CD have lifted it somehow. I think that the difference is crisper timing.

Chris

You could probably manage Lady Florence with a bit of practice. Taken at a fair lick but the tune is reasonably straightforward. We played it at Hawkwood in January (the "non-invited" band). I thought it OK but nothing special. The invited band on the CD have lifted it somehow. I think that the difference is crisper timing.

Okay, so where do we get a copy of the dots from? And for which part - treble, bass, baritone? :unsure:

Chris

Okay, so where do we get a copy of the dots from? And for which part - treble, bass, baritone? :unsure:

Chris

Well I have a copy of the tune at the moment because Jenny Cox intends to do it again at Witney next Sunday. Not too sure about the copyright status. Will speak to Jenny at Witney. It might even be possible to put something up on the ICA website.

If the ICA does add pieces like this to the library, and it would seem a good thing to do in terms of both getting people playing and using the library, could we also have a duet players' version with all the parts combined on one 'piano style' staff? (treble AND PROPER BASS please.)

I know this is easy where computer written music is concerned.

FOLKS: i'll certainly second all the plaudits and praise. . . . . listened to it this morning. . . . .many thanks to Jenny, Dave, Ron, and all the others who contributed their time and talent. . . . . .sure wish there were a band like that in new york.............Allan

I wish there were a band like this in every major city.

Ian

Jenny,

Mine showed up in the post today. Are we allowed to say 'Brilliant' on this side of the pond? Especially the Courtly Masquing Ayres and Mortlack's Ground. Purcell, Blow, etc was my favourite era in my Music degree in college. Oops, there goes that 'u' again.

Wonderful ... thank you! I need to attend one of these before you quit organizing them. :D

Band workshops at Concertinas at Witney were, as always, hugely enjoyable and worthwhile.

Dave Townsend led his new band piece "Across the Western Ocean" on Saturday, cleverly arranged with two straightforward upper lines, and three more-challenging lower lines featuring glorious bass and baritone concertinas.

In the workshop showcase my Sunday band played a 17th century Courante by Pezel (very elegant), and "Mr Sandman" (1954) Pat Ballard, specially arranged by Roger Bennett for concertina band (totally cheesey and great fun).

Terrific buzz re. the Hawkwood Concertina Band CD. There were ten of us who played on the CD at the weekend, all of us thrilled with its success and the fact it's reaching far and wide to people we hadn't met or even heard of! Some of this is thanks to concertina.net.

The rest of Concertinas at Witney was also terrific. I'll post separately about that.

Tell us about NESI!

Jenny sorry I've accidently stuck in two copies of my initial post about this project. How can I get them deleted?

Edited by bandstand

Band workshops at Concertinas at Witney were, as always, hugely enjoyable and worthwhile.

Dave Townsend led his new band piece "Across the Western Ocean" on Saturday, cleverly arranged with two straightforward upper lines, and three more-challenging lower lines featuring glorious bass and baritone concertinas.

In the workshop showcase my Sunday band played a 17th century Courante by Pezel (very elegant), and "Mr Sandman" (1954) Pat Ballard, specially arranged by Roger Bennett for concertina band (totally cheesey and great fun).

Terrific buzz re. the Hawkwood Concertina Band CD. There were ten of us who played on the CD at the weekend, all of us thrilled with its success and the fact it's reaching far and wide to people we hadn't met or even heard of! Some of this is thanks to concertina.net.

The rest of Concertinas at Witney was also terrific. I'll post separately about that.

Tell us about NESI!

Jenny sorry I've accidently stuck in two copies of my initial post about this project. How can I get them deleted?

I really enjoyed concertinas at Witney. I think I learned a lot from Dave's group on Saturday. one major problem was counting the bars of silence on my part while other parts continued. It was very easy to miss a cue. I got better at it as the day progressed, but i found counting bars when the music is in 6/8 is harder than when it is in 4/4. I also learned much from Simon Thoumire on Sunday.

I bought my copy of the Hawkwood CD at the weekend, and my journey back was long enough for it to go round twice. good stuff.

I am not sure you if you can delete the duplicate posts. What you can do is edit them to take out the existing message and insert a short message such as 'duplicate post removed'. that would be enough to explain everything.

best wishes

John Wild