Hawkwood Concertina Band CD

bandstand

HAWKWOOD CONCERTINA BAND:THE CD

Hallo everyone!

The first full concertina band recording for some 70 years is now on sale. It's unique. It's a historic document. We're proud if it. It's yours for £12 if you live in the UK, £14 if I have to post it elsewhere.

Please check out www.concertinaband.org.uk and concertina.net's "buy and sell" forum.

The title is "Marches and Tunes", which was the prompt answer from one of the old players when asked what music the historic concertina bands used to play. But our CD doesn't just recreate this corner of English Band Music tradition. We do play some old band favourites like "Lady Florence" and "Slaidburn", but most of the tracks are new arrangements in different styles.

And there's brand new 21st century music with Dave Townsend's "Fantasia upon a Theme of Ralph Vaughan Williams" for solo baritone concertina and concertina band.

We delight that many of our instruments (notably some basses and baritones and the Bflat "clarinet" concertina) performed in the historic bands, and they are still playing beautifully. Listen to the low notes in "The Lost Chord" with two "G" bass instruments going down to very, very low F.

23 concertina players from different parts of the UK, two fine conductors and our professional sound engineer, 6 beautiful Spring days, utmost commitment and concentration: here's the result.

The recordings were made at Hawkwood College, a delightful Cotswold Manor House which has hosted the annual Concertina Band Weekend in January for many years. (www.hawkwoodcollege.co.uk). We thank all the concertina musicians who have played there and elsewhere for their part in trialling this music, and thus contributed to this CD celebrating the Concertina Band revival.

Buy the album and you will be supporting the project and feel part of it!

Jenny

I must admit that when I first heard about the Hawkwood Concertina Band project to recreate the old Concertina Band sound I was a bit apprehensive. My listening to bands of old seventy eights and old cassettes for the English International gave me the whole spectrum of Concertina Band performances, the amazing full sounds of the famous bands of the thirties Ashton under Lyne and Heywood, a couple of recordings of not so famous bands and the weekend concertina gatherings forming a band amongst those who attended. The latter although great fun for all those taking part,it is understandable that they would never come even close to the performances of the old bands who practised solidly for weeks to achieve the quality of their playing. That being said some recordings by the shear enthusiasm of those taking part came through as great fun to listen to, although not technically correct. The other two things that concerned me was the tightness of a group of players coming together for a week,some bands take months to achieve a a tight sound, where individual instruments do not overpower others and where timing and length of note is essential. The second concern were the instruments themselves, a group of players playing in a session with one instrument slightly out of tune can be lost, on a CD it cannot and at some point you will here that difference in pitch.

So with these concerns in mind I was hoping that The Hawkwood Concertina Band could overcome these difficulties and when Jenny Cox kindly sent me the CD it was with a bit of a worry when I found it on my doormat.

Firstly it is very professionally produced and with good balanced sound.At one point I felt I was in the middle of Albert Hall Organ. The CD starts off with the very bright and entertaining Lady Florence and continues with thirteen tracks in total ,with some very difficult tunes with some very complicated arrangements. I could tell almost straight away that there was total dedication by all the players and also some very hard work by the conductors/tutors and advisors. What they have achieved in a week is just amazing and all should be complimented. The full Concertina Band sound is recreated by the group perfectly and the rich deep base concertina sound coming over loud and clear. The worry about knitting together as a group proved unfounded as did the timing. I think I do hear an instrument out of key with the others, but it is only in one track and I am certainly not going to make an issue over it. In fact the quality of the total CD performance outshines the 1935 recording I have.

All in all Jenny should be applauded for her hard work in organising this band assembly.

In fact stand up all of you for a standing ovation.

If you are interested in the whole aspect of concertinas I recommend that you purchase a copy for your collection,you will not be disappointed

Al :rolleyes:

I must admit that when I first heard about the Hawkwood Concertina Band project to recreate the old Concertina Band sound I was a bit apprehensive. My listening to bands of old seventy eights and old cassettes for the English International gave me the whole spectrum of Concertina Band performances, the amazing full sounds of the famous bands of the thirties Ashton under Lyne and Heywood, a couple of recordings of not so famous bands and the weekend concertina gatherings forming a band amongst those who attended. The latter although great fun for all those taking part,it is understandable that they would never come even close to the performances of the old bands who practised solidly for weeks to achieve the quality of their playing. That being said some recordings by the shear enthusiasm of those taking part came through as great fun to listen to, although not technically correct. The other two things that concerned me was the tightness of a group of players coming together for a week,some bands take months to achieve a a tight sound, where individual instruments do not overpower others and where timing and length of note is essential. The second concern were the instruments themselves, a group of players playing in a session with one instrument slightly out of tune can be lost, on a CD it cannot and at some point you will here that difference in pitch.

So with these concerns in mind I was hoping that The Hawkwood Concertina Band could overcome these difficulties and when Jenny Cox kindly sent me the CD it was with a bit of a worry when I found it on my doormat.

Firstly it is very professionally produced and with good balanced sound.At one point I felt I was in the middle of Albert Hall Organ. The CD starts off with the very bright and entertaining Lady Florence and continues with thirteen tracks in total ,with some very difficult tunes with some very complicated arrangements. I could tell almost straight away that there was total dedication by all the players and also some very hard work by the conductors/tutors and advisors. What they have achieved in a week is just amazing and all should be complimented. The full Concertina Band sound is recreated by the group perfectly and the rich deep base concertina sound coming over loud and clear. The worry about knitting together as a group proved unfounded as did the timing. I think I do hear an instrument out of key with the others, but it is only in one track and I am certainly not going to make an issue over it. In fact the quality of the total CD performance outshines the 1935 recording I have.

All in all Jenny should be applauded for her hard work in organising this band assembly.

In fact stand up all of you for a standing ovation.

If you are interested in the whole aspect of concertinas I recommend that you purchase a copy for your collection,you will not be disappointed

Al :rolleyes:

Hi Alan

I simply have to agree - the Hawkwood Band CD "Marches and Tunes" is a real surprise to my ears - the music is fresh and exciting, the production stunning and rather than just being an echo of the past - it feels like the start of a new adventure. I really loved the whole thing - and it kept me calm and entertained yesterday as I sat for three hours in various traffic jams! I have to admit that I was expecting more of a brass band sound but am delighted to say that it is uniquely a concertina sound. Anyone who loves the instrument should add a copy of this CD to their Anglo International and English International collections.

My greatest admiration must go to the creators of this wonderful work - not just for their playing but for sacrificing a week of their holidays to go to a working residential week at Hawkwood (at their own expense) to make the project possible ... I really do think concertina players are very special people. I happily urge concertina players everywhere to buy this CD - if you don't, you really won't know what you are missing!

Jon McNamara

(Chairman: International Concertina Association)

Any chance you could ship some of these CDs over to the Button Box in the U.S? Two weeks from the time I'm writing I'll bet they could sell quite a few to those of us who well attend the Northeast Squeeze-In (including me).

Ken

Any chance you could ship some of these CDs over to the Button Box in the U.S? Two weeks from the time I'm writing I'll bet they could sell quite a few to those of us who well attend the Northeast Squeeze-In (including me).

Ken

Great idea, Ken. but Button Box hasn't yet heard the cd I posted air mail a couple of days ago (it's in the post - yes really), and heaven knows how long it would take to ship some over... I couldn't afford to post a load on spec.

By chance, is there anyone going from England who could take a few copies over in their jacket pocket? See another post here below about current hopes of ways of offering Paypal or another route.

Or, as a bottom line, is anyone who is definitely going to the North East Squeeze In prepared to take Hawkwood Concertina Band's "Marches and Tunes" and get it played there so people can hear it. And collect a list of definite orders?

Concertina players tend to trust each other... so the first person to say "yes, me" and send their mailing address reply to <bandstand@coxboxes.co.uk> will get a free cd sent directly to them in the post tomorrow

cheers

Jenny

Ken

Great idea, Ken. but Button Box hasn't yet heard the cd I posted air mail a couple of days ago (it's in the post - yes really), and heaven knows how long it would take to ship some over... I couldn't afford to post a load on spec.

By chance, is there anyone going from England who could take a few copies over in their jacket pocket? See another post here below about current hopes of ways of offering Paypal or another route.

Or, as a bottom line, is anyone who is definitely going to the North East Squeeze In prepared to take Hawkwood Concertina Band's "Marches and Tunes" and get it played there so people can hear it. And collect a list of definite orders?

Concertina players tend to trust each other... so the first person to say "yes, me" and send their mailing address reply to <bandstand@coxboxes.co.uk> will get a free cd sent directly to them in the post tomorrow

cheers

Jenny

PM Sent

Ken

Even if it can't be done in time for NESI, I would lvoe it if the Button Box or someone else int eh USA would take it on themselves to distribute the CD in the US.

As it stands, I'm committed to buying a copy, but I have to paper-mail a check in Pounds to ENgland. I'd pay extra to a US dealer to save that hassle.

--Mike K.

Ken

Even if it can't be done in time for NESI, I would lvoe it if the Button Box or someone else int eh USA would take it on themselves to distribute the CD in the US.

As it stands, I'm committed to buying a copy, but I have to paper-mail a check in Pounds to ENgland. I'd pay extra to a US dealer to save that hassle.

--Mike K.

Exactly my feeling also, and i support a retailer (whoever carries it) to boot.

Ken

Hallo all who want to buy Hawkwood Concertina Band's "Marches and Tunes".

1) Button Box have just agreed to sell the CD

I will ship some over to them asap, but don't know how long this will take.

2) A friend of mine is organising a Pay Pal system. Further info soonest

Thanks for all the interset and support. I promise you it's worth owning your own copy of this unique set of recordings. Don't forget to check out www.concertinaband.org for info and great photos.

cheers

Jenny

Edited by bandstand

Hallo all who want to buy Hawkwood Concertina Band's "Marches and Tunes".

1) Button Box have just agreed to sell the CD

I will ship some over to them asap, but don't know how long this will take.

Great news, Jenny.

Maybe those of us attending NESI can pay cash in advance to the B. Box, and they will sen us our CDs by mail when they arrive.

Or maybe the CDs will arrive at B Box in jsut udner 2 weeks ... Mike K.

--Mike K.

Roots2Music will have it on our website any day now. That takes credit card payments. Right now I only have the copy that Jenny posted to me (and you are not having that!) but I will collect copies from her at Witney and we can mail them right after.

People going to the squeeze-in may do better that way, but if you happen to be in Australia or . . .

--Mike K.

Roots2Music will have it on our website any day now. That takes credit card payments. Right now I only have the copy that Jenny posted to me (and you are not having that!) but I will collect copies from her at Witney and we can mail them right after.

People going to the squeeze-in may do better that way, but if you happen to be in Australia or . . .

Roger, how about a URL?

Roger, how about a URL?

Happy to oblige: try

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/roots_mus...ia/pid/10926553

Actually, it has only been there for about ten minutes. If you order now, we will register your interest and make sure we get enough copies. We will bill your card and dispatch the CD on September 28th. You might still get it faster via Jenny's website if you are in a position to send a sterling cheque.

For some reason, the track listing and other details do not show up. Working on this. Looks a bit better now.

Edited by Roger Gawley

***PayPal address in England now set up*** :D

HwdC.Band@sky.com

the Price for everyone not living in the UK is £14 sterling U.K. price is £12 Don't forget to have a look at www.concertinaband.org.uk. Enjoy! (and tell me what you think, please.)

ps. Friend Pete has set this Paypal system up for me. It's not on the website yet as Simon who built that is away. When you order a CD you need to email the above for payment, and also send your home address to my personal email.jenny email . Yes, this is a bit elaborate, but I was never going to set up Paypal myself, and Pete's solution will make the dollar/ sterling conversion possible. Cheers Jenny :)

Edited by bandstand