Where do all the 20s go?

TomB-R

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very many thanks to all who entered. I appreciate that it's no small thing to put up a recording of one's own playing for the scrutiny of fellow concertina enthusiasts. I also appreciate the fact that so many of the entries came from outside the UK and therefore had no chance of actually getting the prize, as it was originally stated.

I also very much appreciate the fact that this was just a casual little competition and that everyone who was good enough to post could have done more given more time and resources.

All the entries were good and well worth listening to. Obviously my own prejudices come into play in selecting a winner, (and of course there's nothing to stop anyone else awarding prizes to anyone they feel should have won!)

I was ready for the winner to be in any style, but in the spirit of this discussion thread I was looking for something that had a bit of a "is that really played on a simple little 20 button concertina" factor.

After careful consideration my winner is Daniel Hersh's recording of "Dargai" (a Scott Skinner tune?)

(Highly commended award to David Boveri's entries, amongst others.)

Given that so many entries were from outside the UK it seems unfair to stick to the original prize terms. The cost of the offered bottle of beer and postage would have come to about GBP5 so I hope to be able to send the equivalent $ to Daniel via Paypal.

(I sent you a PM Daniel, shout if you didn't get it!)

Cheers all, and thank you all for taking part

Tom

Thanks for choosing one of my entries, and thanks for the prize! I enjoyed listening to everyone's submissions too.

Daniel

Very many thanks to all who entered. I appreciate that it's no small thing to put up a recording of one's own playing for the scrutiny of fellow concertina enthusiasts. I also appreciate the fact that so many of the entries came from outside the UK and therefore had no chance of actually getting the prize, as it was originally stated.

I also very much appreciate the fact that this was just a casual little competition and that everyone who was good enough to post could have done more given more time and resources.

All the entries were good and well worth listening to. Obviously my own prejudices come into play in selecting a winner, (and of course there's nothing to stop anyone else awarding prizes to anyone they feel should have won!)

I was ready for the winner to be in any style, but in the spirit of this discussion thread I was looking for something that had a bit of a "is that really played on a simple little 20 button concertina" factor.

After careful consideration my winner is Daniel Hersh's recording of "Dargai" (a Scott Skinner tune?)

(Highly commended award to David Boveri's entries, amongst others.)

Given that so many entries were from outside the UK it seems unfair to stick to the original prize terms. The cost of the offered bottle of beer and postage would have come to about GBP5 so I hope to be able to send the equivalent $ to Daniel via Paypal.

(I sent you a PM Daniel, shout if you didn't get it!)

Cheers all, and thank you all for taking part

Tom

Don't discard my entry!

Although I entered it after the fact and it's just a version of the tune, entered earlier, so you can discard it.

But It's my first attempt to playAnglo after 3-4 years of total neglect, unfamiliar tune on the fly, listening to a recording, with very little practice (like 3 times through).

It shows that 20 button Anglo is very interesting instrument indeed.

Don't discard my entry!

unfamiliar tune on the fly, listening to a recording, with very little practice (like 3 times through).

It shows that 20 button Anglo is very interesting instrument indeed.

We both chose the same tune: "Constant Billy"