Sign in to follow this  
Rod

Stilted

In today's edition of 'Western Gazette', accompanying a report on The Great Dorset Steam Fair, there appears a picture of Jasper Debussy who was billed as 'the only accordion-playing stilts walker in the world'. Come on now...surely not the ONLY one ?

As in, he played accordion and walked on stilts at the same time or at different times?

Blowzabella played on stilts a few times in the early days - I think Dave Armitage was the melodeon player at the time.

Edited by Skreech

As in, he played accordion and walked on stilts at the same time or at different times?

The photograph appears to show him performing the two tasks simultaneously.

Well, I walk on stilts and I play the English concertina but I have never tried both actions at the same time in case I fell. I wouldn't want to risk damaging my tina! There used to be an act called The Stiltoneers, who walked on 3ft high stilts and played a variety of musical instruments, including accordion, fiddle, woodwind, brass, and appeared at various local fetes and festivals in England, some years ago.

Chris

Well, I walk on stilts and I play the English concertina but I have never tried both actions at the same time in case I fell. I wouldn't want to risk damaging my tina!

Chris

Chris,

If you do give it a go, please let us know if the tone changes as you crash to the ground. Oh!, and, of course, look out for those ceiling fans. :P

Not on stilts, but I was given a calendar by my nephew at Christmas, and I suddenly noticed that September had a concertina in it!

Not quite up in the air - but it could have been :lol:

The guy with the concertina looks a bit embarrassed by the whole thing - I'll have to ask nephew Leo (the skinny white guy at the top of the right hand column - and several other places :blink: ) about that shot.

Chris

Edited by spindizzy

The Cyber Pitmen do it on stilts, and with PA system mounted in backpacks.

The famous Stiltoneers!

Chris

I do hope that their antics did not adversely affect the quality of their music.

The famous Stiltoneers!

Chris

I do hope that their antics did not adversely affect the quality of their music.

Not that I recall. From memory, their music tended to be a bit highbrow!

Chris