Wheatstone?

MUTT

That concertina belongs to my family.....and you obviously never read this thread here on which the replies were very supportive and helpful for me.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ic=8484&hl=

I was wondering if it would warrant discussion on here, or a mention that it was on ebay - that is to be expected.

Frankly I am quite insulted that you are questioning "whether it is the real thing", how can it not be with the proof of the pictures of the interior and the ledger all matching up. Would be interested in what your reply to this would be...

Edited by Turbogal

Ah yes, I remember that one. You've described in the listing clearly why it doesn't look like other Wheatstones of the period. The circular metal fretwork partially replacing an earlier rosewood looks to have been very nicely done. It is quite a pretty instrument and unique because of that repair. Makes me wish I needed another and lived in England.

Frankly I am quite insulted that you are questioning "whether it is the real thing",

Well I really wouldn't be. I had not read the previous thread either and Mutt's question is perfectly friendly and very reasonable.

It IS a very odd concertina thus the query is justified.......... you would not believe how many people believe their geese are swans.

Robin

That concertina belongs to my family.....and you obviously never read this thread here on which the replies were very supportive and helpful for me.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ic=8484&hl=

I was wondering if it would warrant discussion on here, or a mention that it was on ebay - that is to be expected.

Frankly I am quite insulted that you are questioning "whether it is the real thing", how can it not be with the proof of the pictures of the interior and the ledger all matching up. Would be interested in what your reply to this would be...

I meant no offense, and I apologize for causing any. I wasn't challenging whether it was real or not; I was honestly asking. The outward appearance was at odds with what I expected, but since I'm no expert on Wheatstones, I took my question here. That's all. This is a good place to get questions answered.

And you are quite correct, I missed the earlier discussion.

Maybe insulted is too harsh a term, maybe taken aback would be a better phrase?

But you have to agree that there is evidence on the ebay ad as to the heritage of it, pictures of interior matching with ledger entry?

Geese/Swans? Well each to their own really, one mans meat etc....personally I think it is a very attractive and when played by a professional - beautiful sounding instrument.

I am not on here for an argument, indeed as I said above I received nothing but help before for which I was and still am grateful, just defending my corner.

**EDIT** Just seen your reply Mutt - we must of been typing at the same time - thank you for your words. :)

Edited by Turbogal

Indeed so, after all it doesn't look like a "typical" Wheatstone, or any other known make of concertina either for that matter... :unsure:

It might have been a good idea to link to the previous Concertina.net discussion on the subject, which would have done much to reassure potential bidders about it and to obviate George's concerns, but I'm sure he'd not be the only person here who' might be put off by the unoriginal and strange appearance of it. :huh:

You'd want to be seriously expert in antique concertinas to understand and accept that as proof - not the average player/buyer who just wants a decent instrument (that's "right") to play, and sees serial numbers that are only pencilled inside the instrument, not stamped as they might expect.

So, you see, I don't think you should be insulted by a legitimate question posed by a potential buyer, nor be attacking/challenging them for having doubts, you'd be better employed in reassuring them.

I had already retracted the insulted comment above and said that it was maybe too harsh before your post quoting it and I apologise for those who thought that it was and have thanked Mutt for his words.

I did not want to post a link to the discussion on here on the ebay advert as I would never presume that I would be allowed to do so, its not my forum after all.

As you can imagine I have had several queries about it and I have pointed them all in the direction of this forum and the previous linked thread for their peace of mind as far as its heritage is concerned. The concertina expert I refer to who took it apart for me was Mike Acott in case anyone was wondering, a very nice and helpful man.

Please believe me when I say that I bow to all of your superior knowledge on here and as said already have been grateful, and also as I have said previously I am not here for an argument....

Edited by Turbogal

Please believe me when I say that I bow to all of your superior knowledge on here and as said already have been grateful, and also as I have said previously I am not here for an argument....

You're not the first person who gets somewhat 'insulted' by apparent skepticism here but the reason is that eBay is filled with scams... Just recently, someone was trying to sell a fake concertina using my picture and my text from a previous auction of mine. We all need to be very careful about what we find on the internet and eBay, and people double or triple checking your facts is totally normal in this environment.

Good luck with your auction!

Funny, but I also missed the earlier thread. :-(

You know, as soon as I saw the photos, I knew I'd seen one like this before, or at least with very similar metal end inlays; a goodly while ago, but can't just put my finger on who/what/where. Hopefully it will come to me.

I wonder whether the end plate addition was a bit of a speciality from some repairer/dealer or other. There seems to be too much work, and too well done, for it to be a one off.

Will spend the weekend scratching my head....hopefully to some avail and not just to get splinters in my fingers.

MC

Thank you Azalin for your information as to why people may be sceptical about the heritage of items on ebay - its a scammers market out there and vigilance is a good thing and thank you for you good wishes for the auction. I have also added a Youtube link on the ebay ad to show that all the keys work, it sounds so much nicer played professionally.

Would be interested if you found that Malcolm. When I took it to Mr Acott he said that he would not of been surprised if the repair had been undertaken by Wheatstone themselves due to the quality of it, but obvioulsy we cannot confirm that.

... he said that he would not of been surprised if the repair had been undertaken by Wheatstone themselves due to the quality of it, but obvioulsy we cannot confirm that.

I'd be very surprised if the repair had been done by Wheatstone's, for several reasons. For one thing, being the manufacturers, it would have been much easier for them to completely replace the damaged end(s), whilst the fretwork design is nothing like anything they used and they always proudly displayed their maker's label (and updated it!) on instruments they repaired.