Kohler's Hornpipe

Henk van Aalten

As a result of a previous topic in the tunes forum "2 Fun Tunes" by Jim Besser, I took my Marcus C/G 30b and gave it a try with Kohler's Hornpipe.

There are some mistakes and I miss the guitar of my brother, but it was great fun to learn this tune. Well.. I just learned it, but it will take much more time for me to master it! Especially the first half of the B-part is a challenge (all 3 rows are used and all 33 notes are pushed!). Maybe I'll get some advice at the SSI coming weekend :unsure: .

You can find the tune at: http://home.planet.nl/~aalte099/sound/Kohlers_Hornpipe.mp3 (1.0 MB, MP3).

You can also find the PDF and midi in the Tune-O-Tron.

Comments and questions are very welcome.

Nicely done, Henk! That B part is a challenge, isn't it? The fingering gets tricky if you don't want to run out of air.

If you want a tune with some similar challenges, try Pincushion Polka (widely available on ABC). Also in C, at least at the beginning

And a hornpipe in D you might enjoy: Forresters. The B part will keep you from getting bored!

My biggest current challenge: Levi Jackson's Rag, by Pat Shaw. Despite the name, it's an English COuntry Dance standard, at least on this side of the pond. Wonderful tune, and an incredible workout on Anglo. I can play it, but at about half the speed required for dances.

THanks for doing Kohler's!

Henk - your link doesn't work! What am I doing wrong? :P

Morgana

You're doing nothing wrong :) . I checked and also found a brokn link, but just one minute ago the file was accessible again.

I guess my provider had some troubles :unsure: .

Try again Morgana: I would like to know what you think of it and I am also looking forward to new tunes from your side :D .

[snip] ...Especially the first half of the B-part is a challenge (all 3 rows are used and all 33 notes are pushed!). Maybe I'll get some advice at the SSI coming weekend :unsure: . [snip] ...

Comments and questions are very welcome.

Henk, I'd use alternative fingerings for the second half of each bar in the first four (full) bars of the B section, perhaps playing the first four quavers (eighth notes) push, and the second four PULL (this is possible until you get to the Es in bar four). I'm experimenting with this sort of thing myself at the moment - using different fingerings/reeds gives a subtle variety to a repeated pattern of notes. More at the weekend.

Samantha

Henk, I'd use alternative fingerings for the second half of each bar in the first four (full) bars of the B section, perhaps playing the first four quavers (eighth notes) push, and the second four PULL (this is possible until you get to the Es in bar four). I'm experimenting with this sort of thing myself at the moment - using different fingerings/reeds gives a subtle variety to a repeated pattern of notes. More at the weekend.

Samantha

Looking forward to see/hear your solution. Up till now I can manage to play it all while pulling. It takes about 60% of the bellows capacity, but I must breathe strong before playing all 33 notes :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Henk,

This is a really fun tune on english concertina too! I started playing around with it the other day and it's kind of hard to stop playing it.....it's the tune that never ends!

It does point out some differences between anglo & english. On my english the notes all fall right under my fingers and it's very easy to play, I barely have to shift my hands. Start throwing some octaves in and it would be a different story. It would be interesting to take two people of roughly equal ability, one playing anglo, the other english, and see where they take some tunes; how they might ornament differently, or the same. Would they end up taking the tune in much different directions then say two anglo players might? Perhaps the different systems wouldn't matter that much and just the individual players would account for most of the differences.

bruce boysen

I would think that one of the most popular ornament to hornpipes and reels is the (I think it's called) dropping triple. I have seen and played these in many hornpipes. They are straightforward on the english but I suspect they would require cross row playing on the anglo or some pretty nifty bellows action.